Question related to adjusting transporting properties

Official support for: loomer.co.uk
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi Colin, I am wondering whether it is possible to adjust a sequencer's transport properties - such as duration or speed - in a 16 bar loop and then have Architect reset to the initial values at the beginning of the loop?

I may not be phrasing the question particulalry well, but I would like to be able to play around with modulating different parameters and then having them reset after x amount of bars.

Does that make sense?!

Yes, that does make sense. One way I can think of doing this is using the step outlet, which will feed back into some [data] modules that in turn write to the sequencer parameters. I *think* that the step is sent after the transport information is established for a step, so if you compare the step value with, say, 127 [assuming 8 steps to a bar * 16 bars - 1 because step indices start at 0], then if they are equal you know to send the initial values back through their corresponding inlets.

That made sense when I wrote it; perhaps less so on reading it back! If you need a clear example, let me know and I'll see if I can make you a quick preset to demo the idea.

Thinking ahead here, I've made some progress on having the transforms (as seen in the sequencer editors) run from the graph. I think somewhere down the line, when I've got it all working, an easier way of doing this would be just to send a 'copy' event at the start of the sequence and then 'paste' at the end to restore it to the previous state.
Architect, the modular MIDI toolkit, beta now available for macOS, Windows, and Linux.

Thanks, Colin. Seems like my reply somehow got lost, but I'd be most curious to take a look at a preset if you find yourself with a spare moment.

It also may be a very similar question, but I was wondering whether something else is possible? I'd like to use a single global performance macro to adjust the time division, such as 1/4, 1/8 and 1/16 on simultaneously running sequencers, yet have the adjustments still fall in with the master 4/4 - basically like it would be switching through a synth preset and having everything still stay in time. Again, I hope that makes sense!

lickle_emu wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:24 pm Thanks, Colin. Seems like my reply somehow got lost, but I'd be most curious to take a look at a preset if you find yourself with a spare moment.
Will do!
It also may be a very similar question, but I was wondering whether something else is possible? I'd like to use a single global performance macro to adjust the time division, such as 1/4, 1/8 and 1/16 on simultaneously running sequencers, yet have the adjustments still fall in with the master 4/4 - basically like it would be switching through a synth preset and having everything still stay in time. Again, I hope that makes sense!
Just so I'm clear, here, are you wanting to set all the sequencers to the same division?
Architect, the modular MIDI toolkit, beta now available for macOS, Windows, and Linux.

Yes, that is what I would be aiming for.

So, for the first question, something like this. I've attached the preset as a zipped XML file.

If you alter the mono step seq's division, it will always reset to the default 1/8 before the loop restarts. Is this basically what you need, or I have I misunderstood the question?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

As for the second question, you can either use inlets and write the division value to all the sequencers at the same time. Or, and I'd probably favour this, use a remote mapping, mapping a single source (eg, MIDI controller) to multiple properties so to control them all with a single parameter. You could also use an [internal source] module as the source for all the mappings, and send a value to this on the graph to write to all properties simultaneously.

Is the clear enough, or would you prefer a preset and screenshot example?

Hi Colin, I really appreciate the attachment and the reply. Am quite busy at the moment so will check it out when I get a moment and then get back to you. Cheers!

Thank you, no rush!

Sorry to necro this thread, but am trying to do something similar to what's articulated here and running into challenges.

My use case is as follows

1. There are multiple patterns in a mono sequencer that I am moving between sequentially
2. Sequencer patterns are of different lengths
3. Patterns are repeated a random number of times
4. When a pattern is loaded the first time, I want to randomly change the speed the pattern is played back at, so assuming notes are 1/16ths, it could play back as 1/16th, 1/8th, 1/4th, etc. related to the overall clock

Have accomplished #1-3, but struggling on #4. This issue is that though I can change the playback speed, using the either the duration, divide or speed parameters, I am finding that it always resets and therefore doesn't play the whole pattern when I slow things down.

Am wondering if there is some setting I am missing somewhere?

Also - as a request - this would be so much easier if there was an "end of sequence" event out. I am using the Step=0, but it's not the same.

Would it be possible for you to send me a minimal demonstration of the problem? I *think* I know what you're getting at, but I don't want to waste your time by fixing the wrong issue. You can either upload the preset here, or PM me, or email it directly to colin(at)loomer.co.uk .
Also - as a request - this would be so much easier if there was an "end of sequence" event out. I am using the Step=0, but it's not the same.
I think I had this at one point, and the fact that it isn't in the current release means there must have been some complication with it. I've a (final) 0.10 release candidate ready to go, but if this is an easy addition, I'd be happy to look into getting it added for you.

That would be amazing as would address the fact that the patterns are of different lengths and so need an event at the end, not on a specific step.

Let me package things up and send over. I *think* that the issue might be from the pattern number changing before the pattern has completed. Am trying to figure out if that’s actually happening, as should be triggering off the step=0 event.

BTW - what is the technical difference between divide, duration and speed and how they are handled in the system?

Essentially:
- duration governs the length of a note, based on the transports clock. So "1/8" means that each step lasts exactly 1/8th of a bar.
- divide (and its sibling, multiply) allow you to multiply and divide the basic duration. So, given a duration of "1/8", a multiply of 3 would mean each note would last "3/8". If we then set divide to "2", this would half the note, giving "3/16".
- speed stretches the note length, by a percentage. So a note that would last 2 bars with speed if "133%" would last 2.66666 bars instead. Amongst other use cases, this can be used to add life to a sequence by removing it from the precise beats of the transport clock.

Hmm … so they are all related (which is what I thought) but can achieve different results.

Return to “Loomer”