Some questions about parameter randomization

Official support for: loomer.co.uk
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello,

I´ve read M4L several times here and as I don´t know what Architect is capable of exactly I would like to ask the dev some questions:

M4L has a lot of device randomization controls. This way I am able to randomly change and control any parameter of a synth. I can exactly control how much I want to randomize a parameter, from 0 to 100%.
Can Loomer Architect do this as well? And if yes, can it even control my DAW automation?

Can I run it as a plugin in my DAW or do I have to load my plugins into Architect?

Thanks

enCiphered wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:24 pm M4L has a lot of device randomization controls. This way I am able to randomly change and control any parameter of a synth. I can exactly control how much I want to randomize a parameter, from 0 to 100%.
Can Loomer Architect do this as well?
Yes. For any plug-ins hosted in Architect, you can manipulate any parameters that a plug-in exposes by using the [automation] module. (Although, thinking about it, it would also be helpful to be able to read a plug-in's parameters. Let me think about adding the equivalent [read automation] module in a future build.
And if yes, can it even control my DAW automation?
I'm not sure: it really depends how the DAW automation is controlled. In theory, you could send MIDI out of Architect and hook it into the DAW automation, although I must admit I've not tried this. Once I've added OSC out, this would potentially be another way of doing it.
Can I run it as a plugin in my DAW or do I have to load my plugins into Architect?
You can run Architect as a plug-in or as a host, and in both cases Architect itself can host other plug-ins and send MIDI out. If I was automating plug-ins I'd probably load them into Architect itself as using the aforementioned [automation] module is likely the easiest way to modulate plug-in parameters.

Essentially, if a plug-in is hosted by Architect, then Architect will have direct access to the plug-in parameters for automation. If the plug-in is hosted elsewhere, then you'll need to resort to MIDI mapping and sending MIDI values for automation.
Architect, the modular MIDI toolkit, beta now available for macOS, Windows, and Linux.

HI Colin,

thank you so much for your detailed reply.
This sounds amazing! I will download your beta version and try it out.
Count me in as a new customer as soon as Architect is released :tu:

No problem at all. Enjoy!
Architect, the modular MIDI toolkit, beta now available for macOS, Windows, and Linux.

Colin, I downloaded and installed Architect. opened it in Cubase and startet to scan my plugins. It always crashes completey with Cubase after 17% of the scan process. And it dismisses all Cubase internal plugins, whatever this means.

Is there already a manual? I don´t even know how to load a plugin within Architect but can´t wait to test it :)

edit:
I found the quick user guide and the mixer to load the plugin.
Now have to make it sound :tu:

Use the "Use separate process for scanning" option in the plug-in scanner, and that way misbehaving plug-ins are scanned with a bridge can't bring Architect down. I must make that option the default setting!

enCiphered wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:46 pm And it dismisses all Cubase internal plugins, whatever this means.
I'm not sure what that means either. Is this a message coming from Architect, or from Cubase? The only thing I can think is that Cubase's internal plug-ins are native VSTs, but will only run in Cubase directly. Just a guess, though.

Ah thanks, did´n´t see this option! Re-scan runs and now it looks good.
This massage comes from Cubase.

I have the feeling that Architect is very powerful but not aimed at musicians with 0 programming knowledge.
Everything I want to do is just load a plugin, a synth in that case, then choose the parameter I want to assign randomization, choose the randomization percentage I need to control, pressing a knob to randomize and thats it.
After having set up the input in the preference window, I expect that I instantly can press a key on my keyboard and hear what I am playing. But it seems that I need a degree in programming and modular synthesis to get everything connected.

I am a little disappointed because I had the impression that I can use Architect as a device, not necessarily as a programming or modular environment.

That's a fair appraisal you have at the moment. I am working on a user library that will add prefabs for doing the kind of things you want, but as you say, at the moment its certainly more geared towards programmers or dabblers than perhaps producers. The kinds of things you are asking for are absolutely the sort of things that can be built with Architect, and I'm hoping that a library will both enable non-programmers to make use of it, and perhaps even encourage them to start experimenting with the modules.

That would be amazing. Pre-built templates to choose from or at least step-by-step video tutorials in the future would be really great. I want to break free from M4L and use creative tools in the DAW I use most.
Thank you so much for being so responsive and for the great support!

And thank you for the feedback!

Return to “Loomer”