Is it possible to import a MIDI file into Architect?

Official support for: loomer.co.uk
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello Colin, is it yet possible to import a MIDI file into Architect?

Yes, you can drag them into the MIDI pool window directly, and then play with a MIDI Player module.
Architect, the modular MIDI toolkit, beta now available for macOS, Windows, and Linux.

Thanks!

Hi Colin, I have only just gotten around to testing this out and am a bit confused as to how to go about this!

Could you break it down for an absolute beginner? :)

Sure!

* Open the MIDI Pool by clicking the MIDI Pool icon on the top-right of the UI. It's the third from the left, and looks like a MIDI port.
* Import the MIDI file by either dragging it directly from its folder on your hard drive into the "MIDI Files" window, or by clicking "Import" on the bottom left of the panel and finding the .mid file manually.
* Depending on the type of MIDI file, one or more MIDI tracks should appear in the MIDI pool.

To then play the MIDI file:
* Create a [MIDI Player] module in the graph.
* Create a [data] module, and connect it to the left-hand "file" inlet of the [MIDI Player]
* Enter the name of the MIDI file in the data module's Value parameter. As it's a string value, you'll need to put it in quotes. You can copy the name of the file directly from the MIDI file properties which are shown when you select a MIDI file in the MIDI Pool. Say the file is called song, then, enter "song" as the [data] value.
* Create an [on play] module in the graph, and connect it to the right-hand "play" inlet of the [MIDI Player]. This module will send a `true` value when the transport starts.
* Create a [MIDI Output] module, connect it to the [MIDI Player] outlet, and route it to a destination - either the host, of a hardware device, or a track in the mixer - using the [MIDI Output] module's properties.
* Start the transport. The file should be playing.

(I'm working on a more powerful and complete MIDI editor/player, and when that's done, it'll streamline this process a good deal!)
Architect, the modular MIDI toolkit, beta now available for macOS, Windows, and Linux.

I can upload an example preset that illustrates all those steps, if you need it.

colin@loomer wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:11 am I can upload an example preset that illustrates all those steps, if you need it.
That would be great! Thanks.

Hi Colin, I realised that I didn't phrase my question properly. Is it at all possible to load midi files into one of the sequencers for further manipulation?

Ah, now that's a different thing! The short answer is no; but it's something a decent amount of other people have asked for, that and CSV input, and I've already made a few preliminary designs towards it. It's one of those things that maybe sounds simple, but converting from arbitrary MIDI data to sequence data is not a trivial task. I do intend to get this done as some point, but sorry that's it's not possible at the moment.

I guess one workaround would be to import the MIDI file (as specified above) and use the sequencer's step record MIDI inlet to write the MIDI file to the sequencer?

Thanks for getting back to me, Colin. And actually, soon after I sent my last message I realised that creating sequences and clips in Architect is the way to go, as I find I am able to be a lot more creative in your software than in my DAW's (Bitwig) midi editor.

I am still very much in my infancy with your product, and at times I think the capabilities of this software are way beyond me (!), but I aim to persevere!

I really appreciate how active, helpful and friendly you are on this forum.

Return to “Loomer”