Architect: Does anyone have a * macro/script

Official support for: loomer.co.uk
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

cturner wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:03 pm EDIT: This preset has been updated and is available here: viewtopic.php?p=7284039#p7284039

Here's one that nobody asked for: a metronome that generates chaotic time intervals. It's a metronome fragment really, once again embellished to make it immediately demonstrable. The chaotic function that generates the time intervals is the Logistic function. Central aspects of the preset are shaded by colored rectangles, areas outside these rectangles mostly deal with Panel communication and note generation.

If you look first at the [pack note] object in the grey lower right, it's associated MIDI data is note 69, velocity 80 and duration of 120 ticks. So you'll hear the same note a lot, which could get really irritating, but more importantly, the duration of each note is 1/32. I'll refer to this later.

The stock Logistic function generates a number between 0 and 1.0, but we need an integer that represents ticks in a usable range for musical rhythms. So notes between 30ppqn (1/128th) and 3840 (1 bar of 4/4) puts us there for the most part.

The Panel controls have an Offset/Scale input pair like the one in my previous post here. These can be read as: "Offset gives the minimum interval between notes, and Scale gives the range of intervals". In the illustrated setting of 240 offset and 720 scale, no interval will be shorter than 240 ticks (1/16th) and will range between 240 and 960 ticks (1/4th). I've set some minimum and maximum limits in the panel components, some of which are hard limits, and others that you might find constraining. At outset, you'll want the offset to be larger than the note duration, otherwise you'll have to pay attention to voice generation on your instrument.

The Lamba input is bit weird. I'm not sure you can directly input floating point numbers on the Panel. The Logistic function's lambda ranges between >4 (3.9999) and 0, so to get that, you must enter an integer of >40,000, with the scaling is done by the preset. A value of 20000 will give you straight 1/32s, and above 36000, things get very chaotic. There's also a Reset button, but I have no idea what "reset" does in the equation. But it's there if you need it.

The blue area generates ticks when the transport is active.
The red area increments and tracks the count of ticks since the transport started.
The green area contains the Logstic macro where the function is computed.
The yellow area generates a signal when the chaotic interval has ended.

Like my other post, this is yours to do what you will, but support will be limited. I do have an interest in adding quantization of intervals.

Enjoy!
Hi cturner, really nice work! I totally missed your post. This would be a great addition/change to the random metronome in MIDI Discombobulator. Thanks for sharing!

Ohh, so very glad I found this thread!

MIDI Discombobulator UPDATE:
Please refer to original post for more info:
viewtopic.php?p=7287725#p7287725

Added: Master Transpose
Changed: Transpose on track module

Transpose dials go from -127 to +127. If any transpose goes above 127 or below 0, the sum will print in the console.

Enjoy!
MIDI Discombobulator v1.1.zip
2019-01-18 18_58_54-Architect.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mannymang wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:30 pmThanks for sharing!
You're welcome @mannymang!
Tranzistow Tutorials: http://vze26m98.net/tranzistow/
Xenakis in America: http://oneblockavenue.net

EDIT: I've revised this project, and the newer version can be found here:
viewtopic.php?p=7302518#p7302518

Here's a little thing that some might be interested in. I call it Basic Listener:

http://vze26m98.net/loomer/basic_listener-190120.zip

It sets a tick timer going when a MIDI noteon is received, and when the noteoff occurs, it reports the duration of the note, here through a reassembly of the MIDI tuple to include duration as the first element.

The code branches based on receiving either a noteon or noteoff. If noteon, it sets a variable incrementing on every tick. The count is one-based. On noteon, it also unpacks the MIDI tuple and loads the data into the corresponding [pack tuple] object.

On receiving a noteoff, the tick timer then sends the note duration to the [pack tuple] object, stops incrementing the tick counter and resets it to 1. The noteoff branch also triggers the packing of the tuple, which is printed on the console.

I've noticed on Reaper that while looping MIDI on a track, if the last noteoff and the first noteon occur immediately in sequence, the ticks are miscounted. You'll also notice that there's no logic here for polyphony, or noteon/noteoff to occur out of sequence. I'll likely work on these things and post an update when addressed.

EDIT: I believe the upcoming Beta v.0.9.10 will address the Reaper looping issue, and the revised Basic Listener deals with polyphony, albeit in a primitive way ATM.

Enjoy!
Last edited by cturner on Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tranzistow Tutorials: http://vze26m98.net/tranzistow/
Xenakis in America: http://oneblockavenue.net

Hey,

I finally updated my website (had to switch CMS to be able to use PHP 7+...) and now "Toms Midi Mangler" for Loomer Architect is online:
https://www.screendream.de/code/toms-midi-mangler

I'm not too happy about the spaghetti code, but haven't found a way to improve it much with the current node input layout - still hoping that this will be improved over time to keep wires more in line instead of crossing so much. :pray:

Let me know if you find any bugs and I'll try to fix them.

Cheers,

Tom
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by ThomasHelzle on Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
Sculptures ScreenDream Mastodon

Hey Tom, happy to see the release of "Tom's Midi Mangler"!!! Thanks for sharing it.
Edit: very intuitive tool. I used the standalone version of Architect and put a midi player (few bars of midi data) in front of the tool. I just got my first output for "piano solo". Its Impressive...
The little squares above the tool's name are clickable. Do they have any purpose?
Alberto
Last edited by AZZIN on Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

You're very welcome! :-)

Now I'm looking for "responsive algorithms": I play something in and it generates something that is somehow related.
The most simple thing I can think of is a Midi delay that has something like the Midi Mangler in the feedback path.
Any other, more sophisticated ideas that you have good experiences with but aren't too involved?

Cheers,

Tom

P.S. No, the clickable squares are just a misuse I found funny for a grid element... ;-)
Last edited by ThomasHelzle on Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi

Thanks for sharing Tom, looking forward trying it out!

You're welcome too. :-)

BTW. If anybody finds a way to prevent the hanging notes I'm getting, please let me know.
I haven't understood the system in that regard yet.

Cheers,

Tom

ThomasHelzle wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:39 pm You're welcome too. :-)

BTW. If anybody finds a way to prevent the hanging notes I'm getting, please let me know.
I haven't understood the system in that regard yet.

Cheers,

Tom
Hey Tom, I haven't tried your Midi Mangler yet but I've attached 2 fragments with 2 different methods of trying to stop hanging notes "on stop". Is this something that happens during play, like a sustain?

Also I want to say thanks for sharing the Lua dropdown.

Trying to stop hanging notes 1.zip
Trying to stop hanging notes 2.zip

Thanks mannymang - and great to know these things are useful ;-)
I think I put the question on hanging notes on the other thread.

:love: Toms Midi Mangler :love:
Last edited by Kalamata Kid on Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cool you like it, but I have no clue what you are talking about regarding "Round Robin"...

Cheers,

Tom

ThomasHelzle wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:13 am Cool you like it, but I have no clue what you are talking about regarding "Round Robin"...

Cheers,

Tom
Just ignore my suggestion.
I deleted it.

Return to “Loomer”