Architect beta for macOS, Windows, and Linux. 0.10.5 now available

Official support for: loomer.co.uk
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi there,

some short questions and some clarifications needed.

- It seems that Architect is Single Core only right?
(Which in theory might drastically reduce the value of the standalone? Certainly did with Audiomulch.)

- It seems that there are no Data-Buses? To send stuff around from one macro to another i.e.?
But I am sure I am missing something here... I am using Hollyhock 3 a lot. There a global
buses for everything, looking for some equivalent here.

- Is there something equal to "shared parameters"? So that instances can "talk" to each other?
(Was a cool thing in Bidule. The parameters were shared between instances,
so one Audiounit BiduleMFX can "talk" to another Bidule MFX. You can imagine how cool this is for
global setups...)

Otherwise some small things I noticed that might be easily improved:

The Grid sequencer should really be able to name the rows. Given that it is particulary
useful (or intended) for percussion and drums, we should be able to name them.

-Mousewheel support for sliders or value boxes would help a lot.

- Keyboard Shortcut support seems to be quite limited right now.

- Also entering numericals (i.e. 60 as C3) should be recognized.
Enterning numbers is much faster than C#1 for example.

Otherwise pretty lean thing here. For an inital version great job.

Best,
tL.
Professional.

LYTZ wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:49 pm It seems that Architect is Single Core only right?
In terms of audio processing, yes. The graph (ie, the things you see on the graph view) is likely to remain this way for the immediate future as it's fairly light on the CPU as is and so threading here would offer negligible benefits. From the mixer onwards, so hosted plug-ins, etc, will have multi-core support, when I get around to finished my implementation.
It seems that there are no Data-Buses? To send stuff around from one macro to another i.e.?
But I am sure I am missing something here... I am using Hollyhock 3 a lot. There a global
buses for everything, looking for some equivalent here.
I haven't really used Hollyhock so not sure what Architect may have that's analogous. There are [send] and [receive] modules that basically function as if a cable exists between them, but these only work "locally" in the macro. Maybe using the various [source] and [destination] modules may do what you want, if you're just sending simple data? Just create a [* source] and [* destination], then map the destination to the source.

Otherwise, I'll add this to my list and investigate the feasibility of a global bus.
Is there something equal to "shared parameters"? So that instances can "talk" to each other?
That's doable, although slightly tricker than one might expect because nowadays you can't guarantee that all plug-in instances are in the same process. For plug-ins in the same process, it'd be easy.
The Grid sequencer should really be able to name the rows. Given that it is particulary
useful (or intended) for percussion and drums, we should be able to name them.

-Mousewheel support for sliders or value boxes would help a lot.

- Keyboard Shortcut support seems to be quite limited right now.

- Also entering numericals (i.e. 60 as C3) should be recognized.
Enterning numbers is much faster than C#1 for example.
I agree that all these should be implemented.

Thanks for the suggestions, and I'll see what I can do.
Architect, the modular MIDI toolkit, beta now available for macOS, Windows, and Linux.

Thanks Colin. Sounds good.
just create a [* source] and [* destination], then map the destination to the source.
Ah, alright that might do it. I'll check it out.
nowadays you can't guarantee that all plug-in instances are in the same process. For plug-ins in the same process, it'd be easy.
maybe something like a "parameter server" independent of the current plugin process?
I think Bidule does it with a shared engine from the stand alone or something like that.
Not sure But I understand this is a bit over the top right now. ;)

Best,
tL.
Professional.

LYTZ wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:54 pm maybe something like a "parameter server" independent of the current plugin process?
I think Bidule does it with a shared engine from the stand alone or something like that.
Not sure But I understand this is a bit over the top right now. ;)
But coincidentally, this is something I have looked into for another feature, so shared data is absolutely within the realm of possibility.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Architect, the modular MIDI toolkit, beta now available for macOS, Windows, and Linux.

colin@loomer wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:06 am
thelizard wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:11 pm Any chance that we could get an option to setup where the User Library is? With all of the cross-platform compatibility (thanks!), I would want to keep all of my fragments and presets on Dropbox for easy access.
Can do. Am I right in saying that to support your request, I just need to allow you to choose a customisable folder, and Dropbox will sync this automatically?
Great! Yeah, it would just be a custom folder path. As a plugin developer, I spend equal time on Mac and Windows, so I have every possible user folder saved on Dropbox to keep them identical between computers (Ableton User, Bitwig User, Reaktor User, Sample Library, all synth presets, etc.). It's also helpful for when I travel, as I don't need to think about whether my latest macros are on the laptop before I leave.

colin@loomer wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:39 am
mannymang wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:04 am Thanks, I have a database of around 400 scales in this format:
1 2 2 1 3 3,Double-Phrygian Hexatonic
Do you know a way to convert this to the .scale format?
Is that some standard format for scales? If so, and if the format is as trivial as it appears, I could (likely) add direct import support pretty easily in the next build.
That would be great!

I got the list using the Scala program:
http://www.huygens-fokker.org/scala/
View > List of modes

Then converted it to that format to use in a generative app named NodeWebba.

Perhaps using the format available directly from the mode list in Scala:
Example list:
12: 2 1 2 1 3 3 Pyramid Hexatonic
12: 1 2 1 2 1 5 Istrian: Croatia
12: 1 2 2 1 3 3 Double-Phrygian Hexatonic
12: 2 1 3 1 4 1 Raga Amarasenapriya

I think there are about 435 scales in the 12-tone range in that list.

This way one could copy from the list in Scala the scales they want to use, then paste into Architect for import?

Or I can provide the list of scales in the other format for anyone to use if that would be better?

edit:
Here's a page with the list:
http://www.huygens-fokker.org/docs/modename.html

Colin, the Scala implementation info can be found here: http://www.huygens-fokker.org/scala/scl_format.html

For an even bigger list, there's a .zip file on the bottom of their download page (http://www.huygens-fokker.org/scala/downloads.html) with over 4800 scales in .txt format:
http://www.huygens-fokker.org/docs/scales.zip

Hi Colin,

For the scales, it would be IMO easier to copy and paste lists of scales rather than import one .scl file (scale) at a time. Or perhaps a single file with a list of scales in this format:

1 2 2 1 3 3,Double-Phrygian Hexatonic
or:
12: 1 2 2 1 3 3 Double-Phrygian Hexatonic
or:
"1 2 2 1 3 3","Double-Phrygian Hexatonic"
etc.

Much appreciated

Great, thanks for the links and information. I'll digest this over the weekend and think about the best approach for supporting a few more standard scale file formats.

How about custom "Force to scale" modules that can have different sets of custom scale lists?

Some more short questions that may not need an extra thread.

- Is it possible to use/enable the Timeline/Play Scene Pattern features for anything else than the "stock" pre-created sequencers (i.e. mono/poly/aux/grid seqs)?
I do not mean for using the automation lanes, I mean for using patterns
on the timeline/play page.

- Is it possible to get somehow an array out of the stock-sequencers? Especially
the Aux-Seq? (So that array: get element works on the mono note for example. That way I could "fake" the timeline/play scene feature into all the things that don't have it. i.e.: using the pattern system of the stocksequencer to change its values (like it is doing by default) but use these values to drive other modules.)

Thanks,
tL.
Professional.

mannymang wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:33 pm How about custom "Force to scale" modules that can have different sets of custom scale lists?
Yes, I think so. Noted.

LYTZ wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:28 pm - Is it possible to use/enable the Timeline/Play Scene Pattern features for anything else than the "stock" pre-created sequencers (i.e. mono/poly/aux/grid seqs)?
I do not mean for using the automation lanes, I mean for using patterns
on the timeline/play page.
Are you asking about putting other items on the timeline? Currently, it's for sequencers and curves only, but it was always the goal to (eventually) allow other object types to be arranged on the timeline.
- Is it possible to get somehow an array out of the stock-sequencers? Especially
the Aux-Seq? (So that array: get element works on the mono note for example. That way I could "fake" the timeline/play scene feature into all the things that don't have it. i.e.: using the pattern system of the stocksequencer to change its values (like it is doing by default) but use these values to drive other modules.)
Not yet, but you're not the first to ask about adding "read" support to sequencer rows. I'll look into it.

Is the Arpeggiator module working properly? No matter how I set it up, it only outputs the highest note in the input chord.

cwig wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:51 am Is the Arpeggiator module working properly? No matter how I set it up, it only outputs the highest note in the input chord.
Works as far as I know, but I'll check I've not broken anything and get back to you.

EDIT: You're absolutely right, sorry, I've broken the arpeggiator scanner in some weird subtle way. I'll get that fixed in the next beta. I'm surprised the automatic tests didn't pick this up, but there you go!

EDIT: Fixed. Thanks for reporting this.

Return to “Loomer”