Architect beta for macOS, Windows, and Linux. 0.10.5 now available

Official support for: loomer.co.uk
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

So here's what I came up with with a few minutes; hopefully it'll be enough to point you in the right direction. This patch transposes 10% of notes by up to an octave in either direction.

* I use a Bernoulli distribution for random true/falses. Not that there is anything wrong with generating a random number between [0, 1) and comparing it, but I think using a Bernoulli distribution probably makes intent a little clearer.

* For note matching to work, all notes need to flow through the same `set key` module. (If the key doesn't change, the note is passed through unaltered so there is no performance loss here.)

* I didn't clamp the key, just to keep the example simple.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Architect, the modular MIDI toolkit, beta now available for macOS, Windows, and Linux.

Thanks a lot Colin!
Wow, this is much more complicated than I expected.
Better than in Reaktor by a league but still too complicated to just slap some nodes together and have a working prototype.
I'll try if I can get it working.

I hope you'll release more examples ASAP, trial and error have their limits and take huge amounts of time...

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream Instagram Mastodon

I now - after working for a couple of hours - got to a state where the right mouse key would no longer delete wires. Will try to restart Bitwig to get it back. Latest Beta.

And: I seem to be fighting with simple add/mult/subtract nodes constantly that tell me they are missing arguments. Can't those inputs be buffered? This becomes extremely tedious fast for no benefit I can see.
(Sorry for the grumpiness - didn't sleep much tonight).

Cheers,

Tom
Last edited by ThomasHelzle on Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi

Hm - can't even remove wires after I restart Bitwig...

Hm - I now have the Note Probability and the Pitch working with no hanging notes. :party:

For a while all the base math nodes ran amok and threw errors all the time, no matter what I did. Now they are back to behaving "normal". :shrug:

Still can't remove wires in this project with the right mouse button.

On to Velocity and Pitch...

Cheers,

Tom

I give up for today - the math node gremlins are back and what worked before is broken again.

Clear winner so far: Falcon.
The Lua script implementing my Midi Mangler took me a couple of hours and is rather compact. I didn't have to worry about event order at all. It just worked.

I'm sorry to say this, but after all those years, I somehow expected Architect to deal with this stuff way more graciously. As it is now, I can't see "normal" people being able to do anything beyond the most basic patching together of prefab modules.
My brain isn't at it's best today, but even so, I should be able to get a simple random velocity going without a degree in rocket science. I still hope it's bugs I'm seeing and not the way it's supposed to work.

Please Colin, bring on those 300 examples you were talking about. I still give you the benefit of the doubt and hope there is something simple I'm missing...

Tomorrow I'll try to write an Audio FFT kernel in OpenCl in Houdini - should be relaxing ;-)

Cheers,

Tom

I must say that I'm quite impatient to have those examples. Coming from Numerology and currently having zero knowledge when it comes to patching low level objects together, the learning curve is currently quite steep tbh.

It'd be absolutely stunning (and equally as useful / insightful) for users like me to have a bunch of macros / fragments to use already. It'll be much more intuitive and fast to get going, and to learn Architect if one wants to dig deeper (I sure do hehe).

For example, when using Numerology, I've always loved using dedicated sequencers (one for gate, another for velocity, a third one for pitch etc...) and to modulate them in weird ways using all sorts LFOs, envelopes / envelope followers and Mod sequencers all interacting together... and that's the kinda stuff I'd love to be able to do too in Architect.

I'm testing Bitwig for the Nth time too, quite appealed by the upcoming Grid and its current modulation system, and these are things I'd love to be able to experiment with in Architect. Ready-made modulators/mid level sequencers that can be interconnected deliberately and edited/modified at lower levels, having a bunch of mod sources mapped to loads of parameters that can be dynamically modified, setting some sorts of chain-reactions between tracks... is exactly what I want to experiment with, and I'm sure Architect will deliver soon.

I don't want nor need a Numerology or Bitwig clone, Architect has tons of features that are clever and I'd say it overall just clicks with me already.

But while I'm a seasoned producer and nerd, I'm still too much of a noob here to be writing tracks already using Architect as is.

Now Colin I'm pretty sure you're about to address this imminently (I suppose that all the examples you're talking about are covering that !) and I'm well aware that it's not even v1.0 (and what an already incredibly mature, stable and versatile piece software you have)... but damn I can't wait ! Enthusiasm is a double edge sword, right ? ;)
Computer musician / Ableton Certified Trainer / Mastering engineer
.com
3OP

I hear you guys. Seems to me like it would benefit us for me to move my focus onto tutorials and examples, rather than bug-fixing and features, as that is the current sticking point for a number of you.

As an interim, though, I am happy to help and to explain how to build things, or to at least point people in the right direction regarding which modules to use, etc.
Architect, the modular MIDI toolkit, beta now available for macOS, Windows, and Linux.

ThomasHelzle wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:43 pm Still can't remove wires in this project with the right mouse button.
Is that still happening? Are right-clicks in general not working, or is it just refusing to delete wires? Could you send me the project?

(The only other thing I can think of is that nodes and wires can't be deleted it the graph is locked. Does switching it to edit mode help?)

colin@loomer wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:08 am I hear you guys. Seems to me like it would benefit us for me to move my focus onto tutorials and examples, rather than bug-fixing and features, as that is the current sticking point for a number of you.

As an interim, though, I am happy to help and to explain how to build things, or to at least point people in the right direction regarding which modules to use, etc.
It would certainly help me Colin. I bought Architect not long after release but have given up trying to get to grips with it until there are a bunch of examples to learn from. My personal interest is generative stuff.

That sounds reasonable to me. I'll get the main plug-in hosting fixes out in the 0.10 builds, and then switch my focus to documentation, examples, and tutorials for the 0.11 release.

colin@loomer wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:59 am That sounds reasonable to me. I'll get the main plug-in hosting fixes out in the 0.10 builds, and then switch my focus to documentation, examples, and tutorials for the 0.11 release.
:tu:

lnikj wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:50 am
colin@loomer wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:08 am I hear you guys. Seems to me like it would benefit us for me to move my focus onto tutorials and examples, rather than bug-fixing and features, as that is the current sticking point for a number of you.

It would certainly help me Colin. I bought Architect not long after release but have given up trying to get to grips with it until there are a bunch of examples to learn from. My personal interest is generative stuff.
:tu:
what you don't know only makes you stronger

ThomasHelzle wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:28 pm My brain isn't at it's best today, but even so, I should be able to get a simple random velocity going without a degree in rocket science.
Like this?

I've made some assumptions here, such as that you only want to set the velocity of noteons, not noteoffs, but that's basically how you'd do a random velocity-eriser.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thanks Colin,

I have the logic down, but the math nodes won't let me get on with it. They always throw "missing argument" errors. Then they go away for a while, then they come back, and to me the whole thing doesn't make any sense.

I'll send you the project in it's current state which also shows the "unable to delete wires" problem later.

Cheers,

Tom

Return to “Loomer”