Architect beta for macOS, Windows, and Linux. 0.10.5 now available

Official support for: loomer.co.uk
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hez wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:06 pm My first thought was using the MIDI pool but given the string based nature of reading from it + no way to dynamically delete files from the pool/rename them, I feel like that's probably barking up the wrong tree.
Yes, it's not quite right for what you want, for both the reason you've specified, and because MIDI files are created asynchronously. Basically, there is an small but indeterminate amount of time between you stopping recording and the file appearing in the MIDI pool. Which is fine for most cases, but when you're looping, you want it there immediately.

I'll add a proper looper macro (or module, undecided on how best to approach this) that does exactly what you want.
Architect, the modular MIDI toolkit, beta now available for macOS, Windows, and Linux.

cturner wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:18 pm
Hez wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:06 pmExperimenting with writing to a sequencer now but I'm not sure what the best way to delete steps is/to constantly flush the pattern when not looping the buffer. Any ideas for best approach to this?
Have a look at my Turing LFO in the “Make Me” thread. I use a queue that plays the first element and pops it off, then the current input is pushed onto the end. You’ll want to extend it to an array of MIDI tuples.

HTH
Thanks, I'll have a look. I'm mainly experimenting with monophonic/rhythmic stuff here though so I'm not sure how I'd also retain the timing of the input (for the timing of reading outputs from the array), rather than the note/velocity data. This is why using the sequencers came to mind.

colin@loomer wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:28 pm
Hez wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:06 pm My first thought was using the MIDI pool but given the string based nature of reading from it + no way to dynamically delete files from the pool/rename them, I feel like that's probably barking up the wrong tree.
Yes, it's not quite right for what you want, for both the reason you've specified, and because MIDI files are created asynchronously. Basically, there is an small but indeterminate amount of time between you stopping recording and the file appearing in the MIDI pool. Which is fine for most cases, but when you're looping, you want it there immediately.

I'll add a proper looper macro (or module, undecided on how best to approach this) that does exactly what you want.
Cheers Colin - I'd prefer macro if possible as I like deconstructing and breaking things, but maybe this would be useful as a fundamental building block too if it was quite barebones with a lot of modulation possibilities.

Any tips for flushing the sequencer pattern in the meantime or is this currently not doable? I could keep writing a new pattern every x beats but I imagine that would become ugly and memory intensive pretty quickly.

Hez wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:41 pm Cheers Colin - I'd prefer macro if possible as I like deconstructing and breaking things, but maybe this would be useful as a fundamental building block too if it was quite barebones with a lot of modulation possibilities.
My thoughts exactly, regarding this and requests for things in general. I'd rather give people the ability to use smaller, reusable blocks over monolithic ones.
Any tips for flushing the sequencer pattern in the meantime or is this currently not doable? I could keep writing a new pattern every x beats but I imagine that would become ugly and memory intensive pretty quickly.
Could you get away with just writing an array of 0's or falses to the trigger row? You could get away with creating the array once up front and latching it until it's needed.

... or wait until next week and I'll see if I can get those looper fundamentals in there for you.

As an aside, new beta will be out tonight. Sorry, all, for the delay in releasing this, but I was waiting for a few people to confirm some things.
Architect, the modular MIDI toolkit, beta now available for macOS, Windows, and Linux.

colin@loomer wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:55 pm Could you get away with just writing an array of 0's or falses to the trigger row? You could get away with creating the array once up front and latching it until it's needed.
Aha, very nifty! I will play with this, thanks for your help, and I look forward to the looper :D

colin@loomer wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:55 pm ... I'd rather give people the ability to use smaller, reusable blocks over monolithic ones.
+1

0.9.7 beta is available here

* (fix) crash when sending a value through a branch that has previously received an out-of-range control index.
* (change) libcurl is no longer a required dependency for Linux releases of Architect.
* (added) "Convert Alias to New Pattern" option to unalias clips in the play grid (same as the Timeline view).
* (added) Can move the graph by holding down ALT and left-dragging the canvas.
* (fix) Can now map toggle button widgets directly on the custom UI panel.
* (change) Widgets on the custom UI panel mapped to controllers will output their current values only when the value actually changes.

If all goes according to plan, this will be the last of the 0.9 updates, and next week shall see the first public 0.10 build (which is where my development efforts have been focused these past few weeks). 0.10 begins to add the many requests and features regarding plug-in hosting, with the overall goal being plug-in hosting (basically) finalised before I move onto the 0.11 betas.

And in case you're wondering, 0.9.6 wasn't a proper public release so you haven't missed out on anything.

Nice, thanks Colin :tu:

Awesome - thank you very much!

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream Instagram Mastodon

nordickvr wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:02 pm
colin@loomer wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:55 pm ... I'd rather give people the ability to use smaller, reusable blocks over monolithic ones.
+1
+1

colin@loomer wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:52 am
mannymang wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:02 am Does the "note priority" module allow any midi information to pass from the discarded notes? It seems something is allowed to pass during/after the selected note, like rapid-fire individual notes. Perhaps the module is getting overwhelmed sometimes with the polyphonic stream?
It shouldn't, but if you have an example patch to demonstrate this, I'll take a look.
Hi Colin, take a look at this preset posted in the "Does anyone have a * macro/script" thread:
viewtopic.php?p=7287725#p7287725

It's probably the NI plugins.

Thanks!

Hi Colin, think I found a bug (using 0.9.7 standalone on macOS 10.13.6):
- add lua script
- add 1 inlet with up/down buttons at "Num Inlets"
- click into into "#1 Name" and type a few letters (don't hit Enter or click somewhere outside so that edit control keeps focus)
- click up button at "Num Inlets" to add another inlet
-> hangs/beachballing

It's not happening when edit control lost focus at least once. Also fails with outlets.

Would be also nice to get a "Do you really want to quit?" box when closing app with unsaved changes.

Thank you for making Architect, Colin! Having lots of fun with it :tu:

Frettchen wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:35 am Hi Colin, think I found a bug (using 0.9.7 standalone on macOS 10.13.6):
Yes, just reproduced it myself. I'll get this fixed in the next beta,
Would be also nice to get a "Do you really want to quit?" box when closing app with unsaved changes.
Thank you for making Architect, Colin! Having lots of fun with it :tu:
Of course! Enough people have asked for it, that I really should get it in sooner, rather than later. Probably next beta, too.

mannymang wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:47 pm Hi Colin, take a look at this preset posted in the "Does anyone have a * macro/script" thread:
viewtopic.php?p=7287725#p7287725
It's probably the NI plugins.
Thanks!
I'll take a look and see if I can reproduce your issue. Is there a specific part of your discombulator I need to look at. Great preset, by the way, and I'm enjoying the track you posted too.

colin@loomer wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:28 pm * (added) Can move the graph by holding down ALT and left-dragging the canvas.
This is awesome :-)

Could I ask for a certain extension of the graph canvas over the area where nodes are located?
I often want to add nodes to an area outside of where there are nodes already. ATM I have to drag a node into the invisible area blind to then be able to scroll there.
I understand that an endless canvas can lead to people losing their actual nodes (been there, done that, especially in Usine where I often managed to shoot myself into infinity ;-) ), but I would love to have something like at least 500 pixels of space around the existing nodes, so that I can drag the canvas/graph to an empty area and continue to build there without further ado.

Thank you very much!

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi

A question about the "graph single line text" widget:
When I place it on the canvas, the background shows a checkerboard pattern, no matter if I use it on the canvas/graph directly or on top of a graph rectangle.
This looks a bit weird, since normally I'd expect the background to be transparent?
So I either would like to have a Background-Colour setting with optional transparency like with the Font Colour, or it should simply be actually transparent all the time.
The checkerboard looks like a hint on transparency that just doesn't happen??? ;-)

This is with the latest beta as a VST plugin in Bitwig Studio 2.4.3 on Windows 8.1 x64.

Cheers,

Tom

Return to “Loomer”