Architect beta for macOS, Windows, and Linux. 0.10.5 now available

Official support for: loomer.co.uk
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

[sigh not even installed yet too busy right now but keeping up with the threads for when I do]

To confirm what you just said Colin:
You can't put midi fx vst's into the graph?
That's a great shame to me - it is one of the main things I've been hoping for - to combine midi fx plugins with all your modular goodness in a patch, with flexible routing, feedback, etc. Is this something for the future, or just not the way you want it to work?

(It's still amazing and wonderful, obviously :) )

It's a function of how it works. Having plug-ins on the graph would add complexity in many ways: I'd need to add audio mixing modules (and then, why not audio processing modules in general?) Furthermore, in order to do so, I'd have to interleave the strict timing of the graph event model with the "n-samples" buffer size of the audio mixer. Doing this, we'd lose one (or more) of efficiency, timing accuracy, or the ability to do feedback.

So basically, it was just never designed to work that way. It never struck me as much of an issue as you can just insert an Architect instance between other plug-ins in the mixer, and use that to process MIDI, which gives you exactly what you asked for. And you still get all the nice efficiency pluses I mentioned above. Plus it keep all your processes isolated.
Architect, the modular MIDI toolkit, beta now available for macOS, Windows, and Linux.

Thanks for explaining! Fair enough, that all makes sense, sounds like you've made some sensible trade-offs there. Efficiency, timing accuracy and feedback are indeed super important and there are workarounds. Great info Colin, thank you.

No problem, and thanks for the question, and giving me an opportunity to explain why it works that way.
Architect, the modular MIDI toolkit, beta now available for macOS, Windows, and Linux.

I certainly would enjoy a VST-node in the graph. Many Midi VSTs would be great to have somewhere inside there (and I'm only talking Midi-in - Midi-out here).
A feedback point from the mixer would be second best IMO, since it would be less "immediate".

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream Instagram Mastodon

At first thought, supporting MIDI-only plug-ins in the graph isn't anywhere close to a big a deal as supporting audio plug-ins would be, but there are still several problems I'd need to consider in combining modules that can be called as many times as they want per tick with plug-ins that require a single buffer of MIDI messages upfront. I've made a note of this request, though, so perhaps some inspiration will strike and I'll see an easy way to implement this.

I'd push for 100% midi stuff (and no audio routing back from the mixer), pushing architect to be the "reference midi fx vst". In my opinion, (and following also the old threads), Architect can excel as The Definitive Midi Mangler, :tu: , providing that the 1.0 release will have lots of presets to play with and good manual.. Mixing midi, midi vst, audio vst in the graph could be too huge..

Thanks Azzin. By the way, I've fixed that curl dependency issue. I can send you a link if you'd be happy to try it?

colin@loomer wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:34 pm Thanks Azzin. By the way, I've fixed that curl dependency issue. I can send you a link if you'd be happy to try it?
Definitely yes :tu:

AZZIN wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:20 pm I'd push for 100% midi stuff (and no audio routing back from the mixer), pushing architect to be the "reference midi fx vst". In my opinion, (and following also the old threads), Architect can excel as The Definitive Midi Mangler, :tu: , providing that the 1.0 release will have lots of presets to play with and good manual.. Mixing midi, midi vst, audio vst in the graph could be too huge..
Well said :tu:
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

Repost minor slipped in bug
Widening the tracks in play mode feels sluggish as opposes to time line mode
Wasn't there in earlier beta's

Also , colin it seems that when modulating an on panel gui widget with an automation lane , it roughly takes it 10 times more scannings per step ...which chocked my hardware
When assigning the gui widget to a performance parameter and then to the automation lane , updates are slower and healthier for the hardware :)
See halfway page 38 for screenshots
Eyeball exchanging

ALso please colin , let us use the mouse pointer to move along the structure view ( ctrl +drag ) etc
Don't wait till architect reaches version 6.0 to implement it , like N.I. did with reaktor :)

Could it also be possible to make the toggle button momentary
Last edited by gentleclockdivider on Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eyeball exchanging

gentleclockdivider wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:08 pm
AZZIN wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:20 pm I'd push for 100% midi stuff (and no audio routing back from the mixer), pushing architect to be the "reference midi fx vst". In my opinion, (and following also the old threads), Architect can excel as The Definitive Midi Mangler, :tu: , providing that the 1.0 release will have lots of presets to play with and good manual.. Mixing midi, midi vst, audio vst in the graph could be too huge..
Well said :tu:
I agree fully, but if there is a non-problematic way to allow pure Midi plugins in the graph, I personally would love that. I personally have no need for audio in Architect.

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream Instagram Mastodon

ThomasHelzle wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:29 pm I agree fully, but if there is a non-problematic way to allow pure Midi plugins in the graph, I personally would love that. I personally have no need for audio in Architect.
Yes, that is exactly how I feel too :tu:

:tu:
what you don't know only makes you stronger

Return to “Loomer”