Architect beta for macOS, Windows, and Linux. 0.10.5 now available

Official support for: loomer.co.uk
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

cturner wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:49 am Still amazed at how solid and well thought out Architect is for a new product.

If I might ask, is the issue with [is nth tick], or something else? Happy to try to code around it for the time being.
Thanks. Yes, basically the `is nth tick` (and I believe `is nth bar`) are both using the wrong origin when calculating. It's to do with some clever code I had that dealt with changing time-signatures, but I think it can be scuppered in some cases, which you are witnessing.
Architect, the modular MIDI toolkit, beta now available for macOS, Windows, and Linux.

gentleclockdivider wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:09 am How to adress / index the row modulation steps ?
These inlets take data in the following formats:
* A single value, which will be written to the first step
* An array of values, which will be written to consecutive steps.
* A tuple of (step, value)
* An array of such tuples, eg, [(1, 64), (2, 32)]
* A tuple of start position and array, eg (7, [32, 33, 36, 78]), which will write the array values starting at step 7.

In your case, you probably want to use the third form, a tuple of (step, value).
Architect, the modular MIDI toolkit, beta now available for macOS, Windows, and Linux.

gentleclockdivider wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:34 amYes, but when I enable the trigger row for modulation( or any other type row for that matter ) , only the first row (step) is selected and modulated Any idea how I can adress the other rows ? For demonstration purposses I attached a knob to the count row inlet , as you can see only the first row is affected .
You've discovered using arrays, but you can also modulate the Transport:

Expose "+Count" in Transport Modulation, and "Step Out" in Transport of your (mono) sequencer. Use Step Out to trigger the [Bernoulli] object. Don't forget that the other inlet in [Bernoulli] controls the probability of the coin-toss from full-off through to full-on.

HTH
Tranzistow Tutorials: http://vze26m98.net/tranzistow/
Xenakis in America: http://oneblockavenue.net

colin@loomer wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:17 am
gentleclockdivider wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:09 am How to adress / index the row modulation steps ?
These inlets take data in the following formats:
* A single value, which will be written to the first step
* An array of values, which will be written to consecutive steps.
* A tuple of (step, value)
* An array of such tuples, eg, [(1, 64), (2, 32)]
* A tuple of start position and array, eg (7, [32, 33, 36, 78]), which will write the array values starting at step 7.

In your case, you probably want to use the third form, a tuple of (step, value).
Directly copy that to the docs (or did I miss it there?) It wasn't clear to me either how to address individual notes. Will have to practice that today :-)

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream Instagram Mastodon

How can I use it as a simple host? ie, insert a vst instrument, plug midi in, and play (recording the notes)? I've been able to add a vst folder, but no clue how to insert the vst in the canvas. On linux if that helps.

urlwolf wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:32 pm How can I use it as a simple host? ie, insert a vst instrument, plug midi in, and play (recording the notes)? I've been able to add a vst folder, but no clue how to insert the vst in the canvas. On linux if that helps.
Plug-ins don't go directly on the graph. You add a track to the mixer, and then add your plug-ins to the track. Route MIDI to said track using a `MIDI output` module.

colin@loomer wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:14 amYes, basically the `is nth tick` (and I believe `is nth bar`) are both using the wrong origin when calculating. It's to do with some clever code I had that dealt with changing time-signatures, but I think it can be scuppered in some cases, which you are witnessing.
I made a little work-around that seems fine for my use, that can be acquired by downloading my Logistic Metronome preset: viewtopic.php?p=7284039#p7284039

It's probably not a perfect substitute for [is nth tick], but for the chaotic stuff, it seems fine for now.

EDIT - This is the great thing about applications that incorporate a complete programming language: there’s always a work-around. Congrats to Colin for making such a fine one!
Last edited by cturner on Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tranzistow Tutorials: http://vze26m98.net/tranzistow/
Xenakis in America: http://oneblockavenue.net

colin@loomer wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:37 pm
urlwolf wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:32 pm How can I use it as a simple host? ie, insert a vst instrument, plug midi in, and play (recording the notes)? I've been able to add a vst folder, but no clue how to insert the vst in the canvas. On linux if that helps.
Plug-ins don't go directly on the graph. You add a track to the mixer, and then add your plug-ins to the track. Route MIDI to said track using a `MIDI output` module.
Thanks for the quick answer. I still don't see how to add the plugin to a track.

urlwolf wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:43 pm Thanks for the quick answer. I still don't see how to add the plugin to a track.
Can you see plug-ins in the palette to the left of the mixer? Drag them in from there. I think you can also double-click a plug-in to add it to the currently focused track.

Hi urlwolf, in the MIXER view click on the "+". A new track is added. Then on the Plugin palette drag and drop a VST instrument into the newly created mixer strip. You haven't finished yet:
on the graph view, when you put the MIDI OUT object, you have to say "Track1" in the object properties on the right. Hope that helps..
EDIT: woops, didn't see your answer Colin..

Ok, I figured it out, no worries. I wanted to see the 'wrapper'. It seems the window is 'kept above others' by default. Any way this could be overriden?
Do you offer any preset management (save, load)? Ideally, a keyboard shortcut to go to next, previous, and save would be awesome.

urlwolf wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:59 pm Ok, I figured it out, no worries. I wanted to see the 'wrapper'. It seems the window is 'kept above others' by default. Any way this could be overriden?
Not yet, but that's a good idea as I know some plug-ins can be a little picky about showing messages boxes above other ones.
Do you offer any preset management (save, load)? Ideally, a keyboard shortcut to go to next, previous, and save would be awesome.
Do you mean for hosted plug-ins? If the plug-ins support this, then there are option on the plug-in UI window frame. Someone else asked for these to be moved and/or duplicate on the main mixer ui so you didn't need to open the plug-in to load a preset, and I think that makes sense.

colin@loomer wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:37 pm Plug-ins don't go directly on the graph. You add a track to the mixer, and then add your plug-ins to the track. Route MIDI to said track using a `MIDI output` module.
I am a disappointed that I will not be able to add VST instruments and VST fx on the graph to give me great flexibility in routing audio and midi. I was also hoping to be able to use the Architect modules with my several VST (Actually VSTi) midi fx such as Nora, Blue Arp, hypercyclic, stochas, Midi Madness ... (any VST with midi in and midi out)

Perhaps I have misunderstood your comment?

Looks like I am the only one here not happy about this development.
Last edited by Kalamata Kid on Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:31 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Sorry double post

You can still route MIDI and audio IO in the mixer. Or use nested instances of Architect to process MIDI. It's just that it makes a clear distinction between the graph modules, and external plug-ins.

In theory, I could add a feedback point from the mixer back to the graph, if people wanted to route data back that way.

Return to “Loomer”