Architect beta for macOS, Windows, and Linux. 0.10.5 now available

Official support for: loomer.co.uk
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

colin@loomer wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:47 am
jimsmith1000@verizon.net wrote: Yes, added a sequencer...is another action required?
Because sequencers can simultaneously be on the Timeline and Play panels, as well as have pattern data sent to their inlets, you need to specify which thing currently is being used to control it, which you do with the Transport > Conduct property. In your case, set it to "Timeline."

(Note that creating a sequencer directly on the Timeline will automatically set the conduct.)
When I create a sequencer on a timeline in a vst hosted by Cubase10 and add a pattern on the timeline I also needed to add an output in the graph view, but how can I set the output to host?

Oops...found destination. Is there a way to delete posts?

jimsmith1000@verizon.net wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:43 pmWhat is the significance of the arrows below the cells?i
The source notes that you play into the arpeggiator get put in a list, and whenever the arpeggiator plays a note it picks one of these notes from the list as the source for the forthcoming note. Usually, you just want to go through the notes in the list in order of pitch, or in the order they were played, but you can also move through the list in different ways, such as skipping items, repeating them, starting again, etc.

If you click on any of the source note arrows, it'll show you the possible options.
Architect, the modular MIDI toolkit, beta now available for macOS, Windows, and Linux.

jimsmith1000@verizon.net wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:58 pm Oops...found destination. Is there a way to delete posts?
There should be an [X] by your posts if you want to delete them, but I'd suggest leaving them, as if someone else has the same issue they may discover your post and solution.
Architect, the modular MIDI toolkit, beta now available for macOS, Windows, and Linux.

colin@loomer wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:16 pm
jimsmith1000@verizon.net wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:43 pmWhat is the significance of the arrows below the cells?i
The source notes that you play into the arpeggiator get put in a list, and whenever the arpeggiator plays a note it picks one of these notes from the list as the source for the forthcoming note. Usually, you just want to go through the notes in the list in order of pitch, or in the order they were played, but you can also move through the list in different ways, such as skipping items, repeating them, starting again, etc.

If you click on any of the source note arrows, it'll show you the possible options.
Is the length of the buffer for the list limited? Can this parameter be modulated?

jimsmith1000@verizon.net wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:16 pmIs the length of the buffer for the list limited? Can this parameter be modulated?
It is, but I think it's around 128 notes, enough for every MIDI note in a single channel to be playing. Could even be more, I'd need to check.

You can modulate it with the Note Modulation > +Source Note property. It will add the given value to the one specified on each step, with the order being the same as they are in the pop-up menu when you click on one in the arp UI row. For a lot of common arp, it might be easier to use the Note > Sort and Note > Mode properties and just leave each arrow as the default, "next 1".

Sounds great: good job!

I played with Architect a bit during the last days and it looks really very promising. I'm really curious to learn how it works and to use it either in e.g. Reaper or Renoise. At the moment I'm quite happy that I could control a VST and e.g. transpose the sequence by sending numbers to the tranpose inputs.

Is it also possible to modulate VST parameter of VSTs that are not loaded into Architect but in e.g. Reaper?

I got some crashes in Reaper and Renoise, but I couldn't reproduce them. If I know more I come back here. I'm using Debian Stretch / XFCE. Beside of that it feels quite stable and super smooth.

Great work!!!

lilith93 wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:53 pm Is it also possible to modulate VST parameter of VSTs that are not loaded into Architect but in e.g. Reaper?
You'd need to use MIDI mappings to do this. I'm no REAPER expert (or even a beginner, to be honest!), but I would assume you could send MIDI messages out of Architect using a MIDI output set to "host", and then (and here is where my REAPER knowledge ends) somehow route the MIDI out from Architect to the MIDI in of another plug-in.
I got some crashes in Reaper and Renoise, but I couldn't reproduce them. If I know more I come back here.
I appreciate it. And any additional info, such as a crash log, or simply what you were doing when it crashed, can be useful.
Great work!!!
Thanks!

Thanks for the answers. I think I have to wait for a manual or some youtube videos to get into it.
I know now how I can trigger the Renoise crash (=GUI freeze) with Architect. It happens when a VST is loaded in Architect and when I delete Architect from the Renoise instrument list while transport is on. Without a VST inside Architect there's no crash. Here's a little movie:

https://vimeo.com/353111597

Another I found with the OXE FM synth plugin: The GUI of the plugin is not shown as you can see here:
http://i.imgur.com/0FfgVk9.png]

lilith93 wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:43 pmI know now how I can trigger the Renoise crash (=GUI freeze) with Architect. It happens when a VST is loaded in Architect and when I delete Architect from the Renoise instrument list while transport is on. Without a VST inside Architect there's no crash.

Another I found with the OXE FM synth plugin
Thanks for letting me know about both of those. They sound easy to trigger, so I'll try for myself; but if I'm unsuccessful I may need to come back to you for more information.

colin@loomer wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:15 pm
lilith93 wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:43 pmI know now how I can trigger the Renoise crash (=GUI freeze) with Architect. It happens when a VST is loaded in Architect and when I delete Architect from the Renoise instrument list while transport is on. Without a VST inside Architect there's no crash.

Another I found with the OXE FM synth plugin
Thanks for letting me know about both of those. They sound easy to trigger, so I'll try for myself; but if I'm unsuccessful I may need to come back to you for more information.
Sure, no problem :)

What does the modulation input for the poly step sequencer do?

jimsmith1000@verizon.net wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:50 am What does the modulation input for the poly step sequencer do?
It's actually three inlets. You'll likely also need to change the sequencer Transport > Conduct property to "modulation" to allow the patterns to be controlled by the modulation inlets.

write pattern index sets the pattern number to which all succeeding writes to go. This means you can be playing one pattern and use the row, etc, inlets to write to another pattern.

play pattern index sets the pattern number to play. (You'll also need to send an event to play pattern control to actually change the playing pattern, but I think I'll relax this as it seems to catch too many people out.)

Events received to play pattern control perform the action specified in Transport > Control Action, such as gate, restart, toggle, one-step.

Return to “Loomer”