Architect beta for macOS, Windows, and Linux. 0.10.5 now available

Official support for: loomer.co.uk
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Definitely a welcome improvement.

colin@loomer wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 8:06 am
jcgam wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 12:34 am When I download a new preset it isn't always obvious which one is newest. The ability to list presets by date modified, in a vertical list, would be most welcome! I realize it's probably already on your todo list Colin, but here's another vote for this feature.
Thanks. Yes, I always did intend to do a sort by modification date, but I held off until someone actually requested it. Well you've said the magic words, so I'll get onto it.
In that case: +1 :-)
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
Sculptures ScreenDream Mastodon

Bug report for 0.10.0:
-Add a grid step sequencer.
-Open the Transform pane.
-Use the Select tool to grab an empty area (say, 4x4)
-Choose Invert Selection.
-Apply to invert the selection. Apply again to set the selection back to what it was.
-Select the Set transform, value 1.
-Apply the transform. It applies the transform to the selection along with a large number of steps outside of the selection.

thelizard wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:48 am Bug report for 0.10.0
Thanks for the step-by-step guide. I'll take a look at this today.
Architect, the modular MIDI toolkit, beta now available for macOS, Windows, and Linux.

I've been skimming through the thread, still trying to wrap my head around this beast of a tool.

I'm interested in some possibilities for using Architect in a live performance/improvising concept. I'd like to use it to utilize Superior Drummer 3 and a synth plugin to create a randomized/generated jam track over which I could play guitar. If someone could give me some pointers on how to build the following module, that would be great:
-Randomly select from a group or folder of MIDI tracks within SD3
-Randomize the bpm
-Cue up a randomized chord progression with the synth, with some parameters (modes, key, etc.)
-Quantize the chord progression with the bpm and time signature

Is this possible?

Tappistry wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:43 am I've been skimming through the thread, still trying to wrap my head around this beast of a tool.

Is this possible?
I think most of that can be done, although I'd need to check specifics. Setting the BPM programatically can't be done yet, but I could certainly easily add that, albeit only when ran as a host, not as a plug-in.

I'm away shortly this morning, but will endeavour to answer your other questions properly when I return later today. Thanks for your patience.
Architect, the modular MIDI toolkit, beta now available for macOS, Windows, and Linux.

colin@loomer wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:06 am
Tappistry wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:43 am I've been skimming through the thread, still trying to wrap my head around this beast of a tool.

Is this possible?
I think most of that can be done, although I'd need to check specifics. Setting the BPM programatically can't be done yet, but I could certainly easily add that, albeit only when ran as a host, not as a plug-in.

I'm away shortly this morning, but will endeavour to answer your other questions properly when I return later today. Thanks for your patience.
Thanks Colin. I’m surprised I’m the only one who thought of this specific scenario thus far. Seems like a no-brainer application for Architect. :)

Also looking forward to the official release when there are some presets and maybe some video tutorials for those of us like me who need a bit of help speaking this language.

Tappistry wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:59 pm’m surprised I’m the only one who thought of this specific scenario thus far. Seems like a no-brainer application for Architect. :)
Right, I am surprised I didn't think of it before. But it fits right in with a few other features I'm brainstorming regarding the transport; in particular being able to separate the Arc internal clock from the host's, meaning that you can (optionally) play independently of the hosts signature and tempo.
Tappistry wrote: Randomly select from a group or folder of MIDI tracks within SD3
How would you do this in SD3? I've not used it myself, but I assume from what you're saying that SD3 hosts MIDI file patterns? If so, how can your programatically change the current one? Does SD3 respond to, say, MIDI program changes, or maybe by assigning MIDI notes to a certain MIDI file?

Let me add this usually ignored feature.

A comprehensive fully editable graphical MPE midi list.
See the Cubase list editor as the base example. https://steinberg.help/cubase_pro_artis ... tor_r.html
Ordering of the list items.
Lasso selection?
Pattern maker?

Kalamata Kid wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:24 pm Let me add this usually ignored feature...
Some good suggestions, which I will add to the ever increasing future list. Could you clarify what you mean by:
Lasso selection?
Pattern maker?

Hi everyone! I hope all is well with you.

I apologize if this has been discussed here previously. I searched the thread a bit, but still don't a have complete answer to my question.

I'm modulating a mono sequencer, which is set to "gate" and "resume". I have a collection of patterns that are composed of 1/32 and 1/16 straight and triplet notes. With "Play Q" set to 1/4, as I gate the sequencer, I get groups of notes one beat (ie a 1/4th) in duration. Because I have "resume' set, play continues from where the pattern was last gated. It seems as though this works even if Architect is looping as a plugin in a DAW.

Hopefully I have the above correct. My question/difficulty is this: if I change to another pattern, it seems always to "resume" from the beginning of the pattern. There appears to be no play position retained through a pattern change, and a "new" pattern always plays from the start.

Is this correct? Is there currently an inbuilt way to resume patterns from last position after a pattern change?

Thanks much!
Tranzistow Tutorials: http://vze26m98.net/tranzistow/
Xenakis in America: http://oneblockavenue.net

cturner wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:39 pm Is this correct? Is there currently an inbuilt way to resume patterns from last position after a pattern change?
You are correct, in both your summary, and the fact that there isn't yet a way to persist the step when changing pattern. You could probably do it yourself if you are modulating thing be using the step inlet and outlets.

But it's a good idea, so I'll take a look at what would be involved. My instinct is that this would actually be a piece of cake to implement, but I've said that before and been burnt!

As a DIY, I think multiple sequencers, each with a single pattern, is the path of least resistance. Thanks, Colin!
Tranzistow Tutorials: http://vze26m98.net/tranzistow/
Xenakis in America: http://oneblockavenue.net

colin@loomer wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:35 am
Kalamata Kid wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:24 pm Let me add this usually ignored feature...
Some good suggestions, which I will add to the ever increasing future list. Could you clarify what you mean by:
Lasso selection?
Pattern maker?
To order the items by time, velocity, note numbers etc.
To be able to copy and paste any set of items.

not necessarily on the List Editor
make a set of midi notes, call it a patterns and then let the pattern make make variations.

Lasso to be able to freely draw around notes and select them.

Looks like no one else here has any interest on a midi list editor.

Thanks for the clarification. And, no, you're not alone: I've been asked for MIDI text editing already.

Return to “Loomer”