Loomer Architect: A modular MIDI toolkit

Official support for: loomer.co.uk
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

for fixing a hole in the ocean ,
might i recommend a dove-tail joint ?..

colin@loomer wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:34 pm Had a quick go at the simplest channel splitter I could make.
Can't wait to give it a go!

bronswerk wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:52 amMaybe some of you know I wrote a program named "Zyklus Improvisor"
I remember and I loved it :tu:

So this could be of interest to people, like myself, who use VCV and/or Reaktor blocks, but are not necessarily interested in building modules or diving down to a more deep level of coding generative systems and the like.
Although, before I got into any sort of modular stuff, I couldn't imagine myself working in that paradigm. So, you never know...
Musicmaker: "I'm playing all the right notes, but not neccesarily in the right order" Eric Morecame : Comedy Bhoddisatva

Plus one for Zyklus Improvisor. Great work back in the day.
Musicmaker: "I'm playing all the right notes, but not neccesarily in the right order" Eric Morecame : Comedy Bhoddisatva

The Zyklus Improvisor seems to be quite good indeed. I do not run 32-bit Windows binaries though.

Thank you guys, much appreciated.

I can't wait when Architect arrives and figure out what it can do. I'm catching up on reading some old (large!) threads and I can only say that Colin did a monumental job. This program may very well be a game changer in the midi mangler world as we know it today.

colin@loomer wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 4:36 pm
lickle_emu wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 4:01 pm Would you say that Architect is more geared towards those who enjoy getting under the hood and programming or building from scratch?
To an extent I think people who like to delve deep will get more from it, but making it accessible to non-coders has always been a design consideration. You can do a lot just with the built-in sequencer stuff, and I think it's only natural that a curious musician would graduate to using the sequencer modulation inlets; from there, it's only a short walk to building your own macros. On the other hand, I'm hoping a sizeable user library would also mean that you can do most things by "Legoing" black-box macros together with really caring about how they work internally.
lickle_emu wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 4:01 pm Colin, will there be a series of tutorials available with the beta release?
There's a quick start guide that walks you through the UI, the event system, and how to build a few things. But the goal post-beta is (apart from the inevitable bug-fixes) to ensure it's easy to use, and a tutorial series is likely the best route to just that.
Thanks for the reply, Colin.

Starting off with the built-in stuff and then perhaps wandering into the territory of putting a few modules together I expect will be my journey in this creation of yours. Having a user-library of some sorts would undoubtedly benefit folk such as myself who have little ability or patience to delve deeply into programming.

If Architect has similar capabilities to Numerology then I have high hopes that you're really onto something here.

Really looking forward to taking this baby for a test-drive!

NM

ThomasHelzle wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:57 am I found ZeroBraneStudio to be a pretty good LUA IDE. I used it for Falcon scripts.
I also started using MS Code a lot, didn't look into it's Lua support yet though...
Anything else you would recommend jensa?
I'm a total JetBrains convert which means I pay for their whole suite of editors. They haven't got a dedicated Lua editor (yet) but the most important editor features are implemented via one or more plugins which you can add to most of the other editors. There's no turning back for me from JetBrains extremely powerful refactoring tools and other niceties. :-)

jensa wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:20 pm
ThomasHelzle wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:57 am I found ZeroBraneStudio to be a pretty good LUA IDE. I used it for Falcon scripts.
I also started using MS Code a lot, didn't look into it's Lua support yet though...
Anything else you would recommend jensa?
I'm a total JetBrains convert which means I pay for their whole suite of editors. They haven't got a dedicated Lua editor (yet) but the most important editor features are implemented via one or more plugins which you can add to most of the other editors. There's no turning back for me from JetBrains extremely powerful refactoring tools and other niceties. :-)
Thanks jensa!
JetBrains isn't for me, but ATM I can't see me doing any massive projects in Architect so ZeroBraneStudio and probably MS Core should do for my needs.

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream Instagram Mastodon

mevla wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:03 pm
stanlea wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:35 pm Seasoned woodworkers use tongues and grooves. Tongues and grooves are way more musical.
And no pocket screws at all ?

Tongues and grooves only fit certain arrangements. Mortises and tenons are way much more used when it comes to building things. But then an end lap joint has proven to be more solid than a comparable mortise and tenon, and is much simpler of execution, making it easy using a homemade cross-cutting sled on your tuned table saw.

People might scratch their head, what is that talk about ? I feel the same way with Architect. Although I have just watched a Usine Hollyhock demo and it kind of gave a glimpse of usefulness.

Still curious about Architect and looking forward to try a demo. I already have many Loomer devices which I find a good addition to the creative palette.

Cheers.
I've been using Usine since V1 and it's great, handling audio and midi, but mainly for live use. Of course one may use it for composing too. I think I'll use Architect more as a composing tool, uhh..., let's say a building tool. And thanks for the woodworking chat, always a pleasure.
You can't always get what you waaaant...

stanlea wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:41 pm I've been using Usine since V1 and it's great, handling audio and midi, but mainly for live use. Of course one may use it for composing too. I think I'll use Architect more as a composing tool, uhh..., let's say a building tool.
Hmmm. Like for building what exactly ?
stanlea wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:41 pm And thanks for the woodworking chat, always a pleasure.
Ah, l'ébénisterie et l'école de la colle.

Cheers.

mevla wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:50 pm
stanlea wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:41 pm I've been using Usine since V1 and it's great, handling audio and midi, but mainly for live use. Of course one may use it for composing too. I think I'll use Architect more as a composing tool, uhh..., let's say a building tool.
Hmmm. Like for building what exactly ?
Midi sequences, evolving midi sequences, rhythms, polyrhythms. Of course nothing you can't do with some programming tools, but maybe more visually.
You can't always get what you waaaant...

so , is there a product page yet ?...
or a .pdf manual ?..
could do w/ a bit of reading material ...

Return to “Loomer”