Loomer Architect: A modular MIDI toolkit

Official support for: loomer.co.uk
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

UncleAge wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 2:50 am A quick example of a function that I will try to do first if it does not already exist is a chord splitter. By this I mean that I would like to send a chord to a module and have it split the notes up and send them out to distinct channels.
Had a quick go at the simplest channel splitter I could make. This is what I came up with, with a few added annotations for clarity. You could replace the "set channel" with a 1:N MIDI switch and instead route each note to elsewhere for further processing.
Architect, the modular MIDI toolkit, beta now available for macOS, Windows, and Linux.

Looks very good Colin.

Once everything is launched, can we have a couple of videos to show
a) some simple stuff and
b) some more advanced stuff

that you can do with Architect?

Cheers.

One question though... does it needs iLok?

bronswerk wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:23 pm One question though... does it needs iLok?
Only if your studio has a wobbly desk and you need something to put under the short leg.

Which is an attempt at humorously saying: no. It uses an offline username and serial key based system.
Architect, the modular MIDI toolkit, beta now available for macOS, Windows, and Linux.

colin@loomer wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:36 pm
bronswerk wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:23 pm One question though... does it needs iLok?
Only if your studio has a wobbly desk and you need something to put under the short leg.

Which is an attempt at humorously saying: no. It uses an offline username and serial key based system.
:tu:
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
Sculptures ScreenDream Mastodon

colin@loomer wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:36 pm

You've made my day! :D

Would you say that Architect is more geared towards those who enjoy getting under the hood and programming or building from scratch?

I have long hoped for a similar piece of software to Numerology that I can run on a Windows system. Found in Numerology that I was able to take midi sequencing and a generative approach to a whole new level. The program was so up my street that I have seriously considered swapping to a Mac system.

Am hoping that Architect will offer similar possibilities to a non-programmer such as myself?

Colin, will there be a series of tutorials available with the beta release?

lickle_emu wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 4:01 pm Would you say that Architect is more geared towards those who enjoy getting under the hood and programming or building from scratch?
To an extent I think people who like to delve deep will get more from it, but making it accessible to non-coders has always been a design consideration. You can do a lot just with the built-in sequencer stuff, and I think it's only natural that a curious musician would graduate to using the sequencer modulation inlets; from there, it's only a short walk to building your own macros. On the other hand, I'm hoping a sizeable user library would also mean that you can do most things by "Legoing" black-box macros together with really caring about how they work internally.
lickle_emu wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 4:01 pm Colin, will there be a series of tutorials available with the beta release?
There's a quick start guide that walks you through the UI, the event system, and how to build a few things. But the goal post-beta is (apart from the inevitable bug-fixes) to ensure it's easy to use, and a tutorial series is likely the best route to just that.

I'll be curious to try the demo. So far I find it's a bit like describing the technical details of a biscuit joiner to seasoned woodworkers. The woodworkers all discuss about this biscuit joiner technical aspects but, for a beginner the question is: "What are biscuits good for ? I already use dowels." Thus my approach so far is: I have a good amount of plugins with some able to do crazy things, as well as a quite capable sequencer, B-Step2, not to mention the automation and modulation capabilities of Bitwig. Where does this new tool fits in in very practical terms ?

Cheers.

^^ well put about both your points.

As excellent as this plugin might turn out to be, there is undoubtedly a fair bit of excitement/hype on these pages due to him finally getting Architect out (almost) to beta after several years.

I use a Cirklon sequencer, which I know inside out. It is easy to understand even though it offers a range of advanced midi features.

Architect might be capable of some amazing things with midi in the future, but for those of us (like me) who don't understand much of the technical jargon being used on some of this thread's pages then it might just be an exercise in confusion for £140 plus VAT - or at least compared to some of the less extensive, but perhaps more easily understood, midi device alternatives already on the market.

Hence my previous question about video tutorials for the simple stuff and the advanced stuff, in addition to a demo. Hopefully Colin will create those.
Last edited by Doug1978 on Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thanks for your feedback, much appreciated.

I'm hoping the larger user-base that the first public release will afford will allow me to hone in on exactly which parts of what is, admittedly, a large product are most confusing, and work towards making them easier to understand.

^^ Thanks Colin - that sounds like an excellent idea.
Architect certainly seems like it will be a product which will offer a lot of variety to different musicians at different levels of technical understanding.
Also, it sounds like it will offer much more than what most (and possibly all) other midi device alternatives, both software and hardware, currently offer :)

Doug1978 wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:19 pm Also, it sounds like it will offer much more than what most (and possibly all) other midi device alternatives, both software and hardware, currently offer
Thanks doug, and yes: that's the plan!

mevla wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 4:44 pm I'll be curious to try the demo. So far I find it's a bit like describing the technical details of a biscuit joiner to seasoned woodworkers. The woodworkers all discuss about this biscuit joiner technical aspects but, for a beginner the question is: "What are biscuits good for ? I already use dowels." Thus my approach so far is: I have a good amount of plugins with some able to do crazy things, as well as a quite capable sequencer, B-Step2, not to mention the automation and modulation capabilities of Bitwig. Where does this new tool fits in in very practical terms ?

Cheers.
Seasoned woodworkers use tongues and grooves. Tongues and grooves are way more musical.
You can't always get what you waaaant...

stanlea wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:35 pm Seasoned woodworkers use tongues and grooves. Tongues and grooves are way more musical.
And no pocket screws at all ?

Tongues and grooves only fit certain arrangements. Mortises and tenons are way much more used when it comes to building things. But then an end lap joint has proven to be more solid than a comparable mortise and tenon, and is much simpler of execution, making it easy using a homemade cross-cutting sled on your tuned table saw.

People might scratch their head, what is that talk about ? I feel the same way with Architect. Although I have just watched a Usine Hollyhock demo and it kind of gave a glimpse of usefulness.

Still curious about Architect and looking forward to try a demo. I already have many Loomer devices which I find a good addition to the creative palette.

Cheers.

Return to “Loomer”