Fragile Gods - "Switch Off The Light"

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm back with another dark synthpop tune. Aika Zabala provided additional vocals.

https://soundcloud.com/fragilegods/switch-off-the-light
https://youtu.be/vXCeiE_N1tE
Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/album/292AqF2LnTsaH9EIgIWaSB

Any feedback is appreciated. The lyrics are on Soundcloud. Thanks for listening.

Jan 25 Edit: New mix uploaded with additional sub-bass during the verses.
Feb 1 Edit: Added low budget video.
Last edited by Frantz on Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Finally, something new from Frantz. Still sound like that cross between Bowie and Human League. Mix is clean as a whistle. Can't find a thing to nit pick about. Music is pure 80s goodness. Hell, what's not to like?

Another interesting song that says something.

The mix sounds good to me. It’s more in the mids but that seems to be your sound style as I recall.

My opinion to the mix: an overall emphasis on the mid spectrum, but I think the song needs that in order to cut through with the vocals etc. Enjoyed the synthlines. Nice work!

wagtunes wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:20 am Finally, something new from Frantz. Still sound like that cross between Bowie and Human League. Mix is clean as a whistle. Can't find a thing to nit pick about. Music is pure 80s goodness. Hell, what's not to like?
Yes, I guess a Bowie/Human League combo is not a bad description. I'm glad you like the music and the mix sounds good to you. Thanks.

@fastlanephil and @htcnext2: I appreciate your notes that the mix is weighted towards the mids.

I've listened to this so many times, that I am unable to hear this objectively anymore. I'd like to see if there are any major concerns with the mix. In which case, I could make some adjustments to the mix next weekend after I've had a break from it. Note that each section changes the instrumentation slightly so it would not be that simple to make global EQ changes.

Any other comments on the song would also be of interest to me. :)

I've only had time for a few quick listens here and there (usually very late at night), but here are a couple of quick thoughts.

I thought the kick sounds quite exposed. Maybe it would sound better with a more defined, bass synth underpinning it. This might be me thinking out loud (too loud, maybe). I thought this was less noticeable in the chorus (Switch off the light), than in the verses.

I think that chorus might flow a little better if you lost the second "hold me tight" each time through (except maybe the last chorus at the end of the song). I'd have a lot more more confidence saying this if I had any actual experience as a songwriter :?

Good work :)

Cool song. Sounds good to me and I enjoyed it. I particularly like your lead synths. The harmony vocals are very nice.. Well done! :)
Bandcamp
Music with progressive intent.

seismic1 wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:30 pm I thought the kick sounds quite exposed. Maybe it would sound better with a more defined, bass synth underpinning it. This might be me thinking out loud (too loud, maybe). I thought this was less noticeable in the chorus (Switch off the light), than in the verses.

I think that chorus might flow a little better if you lost the second "hold me tight" each time through (except maybe the last chorus at the end of the song). I'd have a lot more more confidence saying this if I had any actual experience as a songwriter :?
This was very helpful! I uploaded a new and hopefully final mix with the following changes:
* added a subtle sub-bass during both verses
* reduced the overall mix volume level slightly
* eliminated the female-only "hold me tight" vocal part during the first chorus

Thanks very much for the detailed feedback!

The new additions do improve the song. Great stuff! :)
Bandcamp
Music with progressive intent.

Well done for the genre.
gadgets an gizmos..make noise https://soundcloud.com/crystalawareness Restocked: 3/24
old stuff http://ww.dancingbearaudioresearch.com/
if this post is edited -it was for punctuation, grammar, or to make it coherent (or make me seem coherent).

Frantz,
Thank you for the recent review! Now your song: I like the way it starts (what synths are on that intro?). Except for occasional slight pitchiness on the male vocals, I like all the vocals. The female vocals are a plus. Sounds rather 80's, which is fine by me. Instrumentally: I like it all. Nice song & recording! :)
You can hear my original music at this link: https://www.soundclick.com/artist/defau ... dID=224436

Great job, love it. Like a song with good lyrics.
Mixing v.good. @1:10 like the dark melody. Another good job from Aika, a good compliment to your voice.
I personally like more reverb, but I know you like to use less reverb generally, so won't comment on that.

I'm glad the voice is back.

I feel like the synth answering the voice could sometimes either do with slightly shorter notes or less release or something. At times it sounds just a little long and drawn out, but not by much. I know you've got the rhythm covered with other parts, so I'm not talking about making this more percussive per se, just maybe a little shortening the notes here and there by the odd tick to wrap the synth around the groove more. It's obviously not a big deal, but I thought it the first time I listened, and on coming back for more, I still feel the same way about it, albeit not very strongly.

The scratchy synth that makes its entrance in the pre-chorus is great. Wouldn't mind it in the second chorus too.

Allomerus wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:51 am Cool song. Sounds good to me and I enjoyed it. I particularly like your lead synths. The harmony vocals are very nice.. Well done! :)
Allomerus wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:26 pm The new additions do improve the song. Great stuff! :)
Thank you for the listens and feedback. Glad you liked it. :)

Return to “Music Cafe”