Do you feel this VST for Accordion sounding real?

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Recently I was searching for a good plug-in for my DAW - need to simulate Accordion to do some ethnic dance music for a film score.
I found out Accordions 2 by Best Services sounding pretty neutrally. What do you think - if it is covered with a punchy electronic beat, would it be enough to seem real-sounding? (sound example below)
Does it solve the trick? :)

https://soundcloud.com/igor-vayner/solvd-yur-trck-jazz

I will be my usual honest self and so: sorry no. Overall I hear layers of samples collaged over each other and not a performance or Scene.

In these situations, I build from the film - not to try to deliver exactly what is there but the feel that the film is trying to give to the viewer. Seeing it that way moves from trying to deliver an "audio photograph" but "music".

Think about how each of these sounds moves to create that scene and get them moving instead of being stuck there like a noticeboard. Being me I'd rely on synths in key places to help separate from the sense that any of this is literally real. That might even be the accordion so I can create something accordionlike that I can then really move about in tone & time.

Happy to explain more.

:-)

Accordians 2 sounds really good. I would say, as I would about any emulated/sampled/modeled instrument, that it is more about the performance. A realistic performance can make a mediocre sample sound decent. Using the articulations and aspects of the sample library (that is usually built in) can nicely mimic things such as bellows, swells, tremolos and shakes, and it adds a ton of realism to the final product.

But maybe I don't understand the question.

Couldn't agree more with 'jonsolo' - I own Acc2 and find it a great library, especially in the mix.

I can't hear any use of key switches for those different articulations or automation or any ongoing editing on this so it sounds flat and lifeless.

Investigate the editing possibilities of the library and you can get great results.
Mark Taylor, Chameleon Music - Professional composition and sound design for all media since 1994.

https://www.chameleonmusic.co.uk/

Sounds more like a melodica than an accordion to me ... not at all realistic.

It's not a keyswitch problem: it's just not idiomatic accordion playing, which makes any lack of swells and clicks more apparent. You could play accordion like that that (with a bit more in the swell department) but accordion music mostly doesn't use those motifs. You get much more left-hand/right-hand interplay and, for basic stuff, a lot of oom-pa-pa in that left hand.

Gamma-UT wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:11 pm It's not a keyswitch problem: it's just not idiomatic accordion playing, which makes any lack of swells and clicks more apparent. You could play accordion like that that (with a bit more in the swell department) but accordion music mostly doesn't use those motifs. You get much more left-hand/right-hand interplay and, for basic stuff, a lot of oom-pa-pa in that left hand.
Good point - it's just not the way anyone plays an accordion at all...but, believe me a few of those built in KS's would help the realism as well if the playing style was also more appropriate.
Mark Taylor, Chameleon Music - Professional composition and sound design for all media since 1994.

Gamma-UT wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:11 pm It's not a keyswitch problem: it's just not idiomatic accordion playing, which makes any lack of swells and clicks more apparent. You could play accordion like that that (with a bit more in the swell department) but accordion music mostly doesn't use those motifs. You get much more left-hand/right-hand interplay and, for basic stuff, a lot of oom-pa-pa in that left hand.
I also agree but seeing I have never played be no squeezebox I couldn't say how to do it. I assume that the OP also hasn't done the squeeze so short of hiring Flaco I think he's better making his own feel that people take as authentic rather than real.

:-)

The thing is - Accordion 2 has preset left hand patterns, so it should be very easy to get a bit of realism in there.

Return to “Music Cafe”