A Study in Sound (Holmesian fantasy)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

This track features samples from "The Case of the Christmas Pudding", an episode of the TV show Sherlock Holmes (1954) that is now in the Public Domain.

Tim from Discchord wrote:
"... Zvon combined dramatic Sherlock samples with dramatic synths ...The samples in here are a lot of fun..."

Track was made in Audio Evolution Mobile Studio (iOS version) using its built-in soundfont player and the AUv3 apps Chameleon (4Pockets), Mellowsound (fingerlab) and Poison 202 (JimAudio). Audio Evolution and Eventide Blackhole reverbs added some color too! Oh and I used Autony (Pagefall limited) to generate a MIDI part.

Final mastering was done with SoundForge and iZotope RX Advanced on a PC.

https://youtu.be/SWVr9CLg8Gg

Well, that was different. Don't even know what to say other than I had no idea this show existed. I only know the movies with Rathbone and Bruce.

Hi wagtunes,

Thanks for your comment, it's not using a song structure. It's an audio montage or collage using the samples linked together by short softsynth parts/stingers. Only 1 part is repeated, the "bad guy" leitmotiv.

About the show, only 1 season was made, so it was probably not very popular.

Great samples. I'm guessing they took a bit of cleaning up.

Interesting idea, albeit a bit of an odd juxtaposition. I wonder if you'd considered trying to use match eq'ing, and various age-ifying plugins to try to approximate a context that suits the clips. Could be an interesting experiment to see how convincing it could be :shrug:

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:57 pm Great samples. I'm guessing they took a bit of cleaning up.

Interesting idea, albeit a bit of an odd juxtaposition. I wonder if you'd considered trying to use match eq'ing, and various age-ifying plugins to try to approximate a context that suits the clips. Could be an interesting experiment to see how convincing it could be :shrug:
Hi el-bo,
The audio cleaning job was a rather big one!

For this track I wanted the juxtaposition of the different sonic characters to create a more dramatic effects, even the 2 softsynths used are quite different. Mellowsound is a sampled Mellotron M400 and Poison-202 is a in your face modern synth.

But your idea is very interesting and I may give it a shot!

zvon wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:35 pm
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:57 pm Great samples. I'm guessing they took a bit of cleaning up.

Hi el-bo,
The audio cleaning job was a rather big one!

For this track I wanted the juxtaposition of the different sonic characters to create a more dramatic effects, even the 2 softsynths used are quite different. Mellowsound is a sampled Mellotron M400 and Poison-202 is a in your face modern synth.

But your idea is very interesting and I may give it a shot!
It's something I tried myself, with (I think) pretty good results. Definitely a fun process :tu:

Return to “Music Cafe”