Stomp Stone Steel-tip Stiletto

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

"Even slabs of solid stone tremble from the stomp of a steel-tip stilletto."

This swinging mid-tempo track is composed in A-Phrygian/A-Minor.

https://soundcloud.com/tonedef71/stomp- ... p-stiletto
[Core i7 8700 | 32GB DDR4 | Win11 x64 | Studio One 6 Pro | FL Studio ASIO/WASAPI ]

Cool. Nice mix. Well done. Two thumbs up.

Oh, like the shoes.

Peace.

I liked the sounds you used, the bass and both lead sounds.
The lead melody "talked a lot" for my liking to much without resting. @1:40 you gave it a bar rest here and there.
But I was looking it to rest before that just to give me a chance to digest it.
Overall, liked it though.

Thank you for the feedback -- it is very much appreciated.

I agree that the melody trends on the busy side -- like the melody for a lively Japanese video game.

When I compose a new track, I do not know always know ahead of time what direction it will take; sometimes I feel like the music evolves on its own, and I am simply a conduit for its transcription and rendering.
[Core i7 8700 | 32GB DDR4 | Win11 x64 | Studio One 6 Pro | FL Studio ASIO/WASAPI ]

This is a great track and good use of melody. I have no real complaints. The mix was a little odd. The percussion felt like it was in a totally different space (reverb) than anything else in the mix. Dryer, less roomy, drums/percussion, would have warmed up that background and offered a nice bed for the rest of what you had going on. It felt busy for a moment, but I love what it did.

thejonsolo wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:24 am This is a great track and good use of melody. I have no real complaints. The mix was a little odd. The percussion felt like it was in a totally different space (reverb) than anything else in the mix. Dryer, less roomy, drums/percussion, would have warmed up that background and offered a nice bed for the rest of what you had going on. It felt busy for a moment, but I love what it did.
Thanks for the feedback. I had not thought much about having the drums be drier and more upfront on this track. For some of my tracks, I have put the drums in the frontspace reverb, but for this track, I put them in the midspace reverb; I put the synth pad in the backspace reverb.

[Side Topic] I tend to refer to my musical works as "tracks" or "songs". Since they are always instrumental pieces, the word "song" seems inappropriate to me because that implies that singing and lyrics should be a part of it. I am not satisfied calling them "tracks" either because I prefer to use the word "track" to refer to any of the multiple lanes of data in my DAW. I noticed that hip hop music producers refer to their instrumental works as "beats", but that name does not work for me either because a "beat" to me is just an element of the work, and not the whole work itself (except perhaps for a drum loop recording). You mentioned the word "bed", which I have heard used by radio DJs to refer to (usually) instrumental pieces suitable for voice overs. The name "bed" does not work for me, because I think of it as a piece of furniture that has a type of room named after it. I have heard the term "cue" used to refer to instrumental music that will sync with visual mediums. I have considered other words like "recording", "instrumental", "production", "opus", "composition", "musical work", "musical piece", "musical creation", "library music" etc. I guess I am looking for a term for the end product of my musical craft that does not sound so trite or uptight. :shrug: :dog: :hyper: :help:

:?: So what word or words do you folks prefer to use to refer to your instrumental works of music?
Last edited by tonedef71 on Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Well I called it a track.

When I said bed I also referred to you as putting something on top of it (the lead). Ultimately however, I refer to my instrumental musical pieces as tracks or musical pieces. When they lack melodies I call them beds as they suitable for a melody to sleep on ha ha ha.

thejonsolo wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:54 pmI refer to my instrumental musical pieces as tracks or musical pieces. When they lack melodies I call them beds as they suitable for a melody to sleep on ha ha ha.
Thank you for sharing your preference for referring to instrumental pieces. :tu:

Return to “Music Cafe”