January contest:Submission "The Decade.

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Happy New year to all of you, hope you all have had a great Christmas, it's time for a new year and a new theme.

This time you will Come up with a track that sounds like it have come from a specific decade, or cover a song in a style of a particular decade.

Examples: a track from the 70's, Beatles track from the 60's, Jean-Michel Jarre from the 80's or something. Do a your own song or a cover it's up to you.

Time Limit 2:30 min

Deadline 28 January 21:00 PM Swedish time

1 - Encoded in either .mp3 .ogg (.Wav .Flac) format.
In use of Wav or Flac, you need to offer Mp3 also, so people can choose.

2 - 2:30 min time limit.

3 - Entered into the contest by posting a DIRECT LINK (note: THIS MEANS A DOWNLOAD LINK) in this RULES & SUBMISSIONS thread (use the GOSSIP thread for everything else). If you cant provide a direct link, please contact one of the following people listed below, they will be happy to help you out. These people provide free hosting for the purpose of this contest only! They are not a hosting service. When contacting these people, please take the effort to understand the terms and conditions they provide.

Providers:
2 - watto
3 - slartibartfast

In addition...
http://www.kara-moon.com/forum has offered "self service" space. Log into the forum to find out more.

4 - Submitted by (Swedish TIME ),

5 - Your entry(s) must be composed specifically for this contest (or, if a cover, arranged/recorded specifically for this contest).

6 - Your entry(s) must be created with audio plugins or software studio.

7 - Your entry should have the FILE named in a format of "yearmonth_artistname_tracktitle" (eg "1909_MonDieu_OxygeneXVII.mp3"), where the artistname is the same as your KVR name. Please do not use spaces and special characters in the filename. Special considerations will be given to those that have the hosting agent change the file name.

8 - If you are going to tag your mp3--and you should--the artist name is to be the same as your KVR name, and the title tag is to be the name of your tune.

9 - One person can participate either with one entry, with one entry and one collaborative effort or with two collaborative efforts.

10 - Every submission has to be tagged with:
a) used instruments (virtual and 'real')
b) players' and singers' names (if other than entrant; collabs are allowed, sometimes encouraged, but they must be credited)
c) origin of loops and samples, if they're not free of copyright (this includes CreativeCommons material; please read and follow the license of the samples and loops you use); naming the origin of copyright free loops is also encouraged, but not mandatory. Please only use samples you are legally entitled to use.
d) name(s) of composer(s) -- if an entry is a cover this should be noted in the file name and/or the mp3 "Title" tag as well as the submission post (not everyone reads the submission posts).

11 - If there are strong doubts about the origin of the composition or parts of it, the participant should have the possibility to send a project file to the moderator, who could give it to a trustworthy person with the right host to examine it. Important: the participant should not be forced to do it.

12 - Resubmission of your track is allowed in the same post, so long you do it before the voting begins.

13 - Any tracks not adhering to these guidelines will be very naughty indeed. Possibly disqualified upon peer review. And at least mocked for all to point and giggle.

14 - Voting (members must have at least 20 posts to vote ... although contest entrants are exempt from this ruling) will run from the submission deadline until early a.m, October 1st. Anyone voting for themselves will find ALL their votes disqualified; any entrants not voting will also be disqualified.

If you have questions, send a private message to hellfog.
Last edited by Hellfog on Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I tried to go for something with a bit of an (ahem) 1970s Led Zep III acoustic-y type of feel, but may have ended more like f**king Pearl Jam. Still, managed to shoehorn that good bit from 'More Than A Feeling', by Boston in there.. :hihi:

http://www.bennyleeds7.myfreeola.uk/01- ... icator.mp3

The retrobollocks;

Rattly old Encore 6 acoustic guitar
Non-rattly but very daft finish Lindo 12 string acoustic guitar
Jay Turzer hollowbody guitar - for the ebow, both line in and mic'd
Variax electric guitar (used the tuning function to detune one of the acoustic models down an octave - not half bad acoustic bass, if a bit wobbly!)
Addictive drums (for the one tom which is all the drums)
Tambourine
DIY shaker (tub of Bisto onion gravy granules - for vurt)
Reversed clapping
GForce Mtron
The crooning

On March 18, 1968, "Lady Madonna" by the Beatles was released. I decided to do a kind of Ruttles thing where it was obvious I was doing Lady Madonna but different. There's also a little bit of me thrown in as well.

So, to pull this off, I went to my EWQL Fab Four Library and cranked out

Lady Madonna Piano
Day Tripper Bass
Penny Lane Drums
Ticket To Ride Rhythm Guitar
Something Lead Guitar

And some screaming girls for the intro.

To that I added my Warp IV Brass & Woodwinds Libraries for sax, trumpets and trombones.

Tried to get the vocals as close as possible without having any clue how they pulled them off.

The title is the initials of Madonna's full name, Madonna Louise Ciccone.

What follows is the result.

MLC

She ain't no lady
The girl's a tramp
She likes to listen
To this song's vamp

She'll melt your shoe tops
She'll fry your soul
She has a heart
That is made of coal

Should stay away from her kind
But can't get her out of my mind

MLC
Wild and free
She's the worst gift God could give to me

Met her in Dallas
One of her shows
I tried to run boy
Oh heaven knows

But she got to me
And held on tight
There was no way
To put up a fight

Repeat Pre Chorus and Chorus

Instrumental Break

Repeat Chorus

https://soundcloud.com/steven-wagenheim/mlc

My choice was to highlight the early electronics from the 50's/60's
Offcourse it's all done by modern day equip (that means zero's and one's)

https://soundcloud.com/mystahr/decading

What's in it:
Ableton Live Intro
One Pigment2
Shamisen from the instruments rack
A shaker
some white noise recorded long ago
And an fx snap sample from wax motif
FX: internal chorus/delay/arpegio
Pancake2
Eventide Blackhole
Raum
Izotope trash/ozone 9/neutron 3

That's all folks.....

Decade: The sixties

Is it a cover? Well, I did not intend to do an existing song. I invented this Beatle-esque chord progression over a long period of time. Now and then I would strum my guitar and add small bits.

However, while I was arranging this in my DAW it seemed a little too familiar. Further investigation revealed that there is a resemblance to "Saltwater" by Julian Lennon, which I did listen to in the past and which I happen to like very much. I must have reconstructed parts of that song from memory. :dog:

So in a way it is a cover, but since the melodies and arrangements are different I suppose it could also be considered an original. I don't know. Anyway, it better not become a big hit or there may be legal trouble. :wink:

The Unknown Beatle dedicated to Neil Innes. R.I.P.

Instruments in order of appearance
Arturia Piano V2
LinPlug SaxLab2
Addictive Drums 2
Halion Sonic SE (Hofner Bass, Oboe, Brass)
Arturia Mellotron V

Funk from the 70's

Town Patrol

HW:
'Swamp' DIY Strat, Alesis solo tube pre, Shure beta58, H&K Tubemeister 5, Alesis Nanoverb, Rocktron Chameleon, Jackson bass, Zoom MS-60B, Electro Harmonix Soul Food, Electro Harmonix Doctor Q Nano, Waldorf Rocket
SW :
Minimogue VA, NI Bandstand, NI Battery, NI B4, Lounge Lizard, Glaceverb, Camel space, KeFir, LFX-1310, Kjarehus classic bundle, Fusion Field, Nuclear Cranium

In tribute to Neil Innes I decided to go for the Twenties with a homage to the Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band

Cockadoodledoo To You

DAW's
Tracktion 7
Reason 3

Instruments
Peavey electric guitar

Plug-Ins
Addictive Drums 2
Tracktion 4-Band EQ, Delay & Low/High Pass Filter
TDR Feedback Compressor
TAL Reverb 2 & Chorus
Wider
OldSkoolVerb
iZoptope Vinyl
Master Mix

Vinyl crackle sample from Freesound:-
387005__lollosound__gramophone-turntable-or-thumbtack
can't sing, can't play, looks awful.....

This is my first submission to the Music Cafe. My decade choice was torn between a 1950's Rockabilly vibe, and a 1970's Ramones thing, but I went 1950's for this one.

This is an original song - "Devil's Taboo". It started with the opening line - I liked the way that flowed, and took it from there. Not based on any reality that I'm aware of! :)

Recorded/Mixed in Reaper

Guitar:
Gretsch 6120 via an Audient iD14 interface
I prefer to mic up an amp, but in the interest of time, I used software for this one:
Amplitube 4, Fender 2 Edition, Super Reverb, pretty close to stock settings, with the amp's reverb and Amplitube's slapback delay pedal in front of it.

Bass:
IK Multimedia's MODO Bass (P-Bass modeling). An upright bass would have been more authentic, of course, but I didn't have much luck getting the one I have available (Sampletank 3) to sound as good in the mix.

Drums:
SSD5 (Steven Slate Drums). MIDI is modified loops from my Groove Monkee library

Vocals:
Me singing through an Audio-Technica AT4040, straight into the same iD14 interface.

Thanks for listening. I welcome any and all feedback you care to provide.

Cheers! :phones:
Devil's Taboo 7-inch.jpg
2001_Milford_Devil'sTaboo.mp3
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by The Noodlist on Mon Jan 31, 2022 6:29 pm, edited 9 times in total.
Is materialism devouring your musical output? :ud:

screw it, it is what it is!

http://www.viablehybrid.com/vurt/testtu ... 20vurt.mp3

samples of 80s music/film/tv/advertisements/news.
sliced and mangled with guitar rig.

now to have some fun and feed the above to the modular :ud:

A little bit of 70's Prog never hurt anyone :)

https://soundcloud.com/docjon/mama-will-i-be-alright

Cubase 10 Pro, various host plugins
Toontrack Superior Drummer 3
Halion SE
uhe Diva
uhe Zebra
uhe ACE
UJAM Amber
MusicLab RealStrat
Native Instruments Guitar Rig
AAS Lounge Lizard
Arturia B3