Hey You- Jon Solo

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Something new (and old) for 2020. This is a song I wrote a number of years ago (2007). Some lyrical changes, new vocals and arrangements, and I got my first 2020 public release, ha.

Featuring Devon Jones on vocals. She is fantastic and dynamic.

Hope you enjoy it.

https://soundcloud.com/jonsolo/hey-you-2019

Couldn't wait to listen to this but I've had a day from hell and wasn't able to get to it until now. Still got "Stay" rattling around in my head. You really should post that here.

Anyway, "Hey You" is pretty much what I expect from you. Hey, at least I'm learning from the best. Can't beat that.

Thanks for sharing this. I needed to hear some great music after the day I had.

You need to post more.

Happy New Year Jon.

Thanks. I will be posting more. Putting my music where my mouth is, ha.

not really my cup of coffee...

nicely produced though, sounded full but not dense if that makes sense, there was still room to breathe.
nice vocals too 8)

listening to the lyrics, i did wonder if maybe a more "angry" version might work, similar to pink or avril lavigne,.

Again...not really my 'go to' listening style, but...

I can appreciate the way it's been done - well performed, arranged and produced.

My only criticism, production-wise is the piano...which I found to be a little bit 'thin' / lacking substance...of course a more beefy one may not work in the mix!
Mark Taylor, Chameleon Music - Professional composition and sound design for all media since 1994.

https://www.chameleonmusic.co.uk/

I appreciate you guys listening despite it not being your "thing". Gladly I will be posting some orchestral, EDM, electronica, and rock on here as well.

To comment on some of my production choices and direction:

I probably have every software piano available. For whatever reason, getting it to work with this song and mix left me blank. In the end I used a Yamaha from The Grand 3 and took out the low end for the strings to mix well. I upped the dynamics on it because I wanted an angrier piano sound to offset her Devon's soft voice. Originally, I might have used Alicia's Keys or maybe even Noire...but it never fit.

The strings started off as Albion One, but I ended up using Orchestral Tools Inspire 1 for all the strings, except the cello which was Chris Hein Solo Cello.

I am not satisfied that I am done with this piece and may play with another version this weekend. Meanwhile, I will be sharing more new tracks in other threads soon.

@3:06 Liked the extra voices you put in there, and echo.
Would have liked to hear more of that earlier in the song.
Beautiful nice chello, really adds to the emotion; fits perfectly.
Mix was good. Although @2:26 vocals volume went a bit quiet.
Only criticism was I would have liked more pauses; the vocals were pretty much there with only very little space inbetween lines.
Would have liked to "digest" what she was singing.

Like some others who have commented previously, this is not my regular listening arena, but I think you've done a great job here. The measured build-up to the end gave the song an emotional context aside from the lyrics, and the vocal arrangement in the last minute was great.

I thought I may have heard plosive effects at 0:46 and 1:43, but after a couple of listenings, the timings seem wrong. I could have believed a piano foot-pedal might have done this, but on a Vst?

Good work :)

Yes...two plosives for sure. I am doing some retouches this upcoming week.

Return to “Music Cafe”