toonertik... modular groove type of thingy.

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

toonertik wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:27 pm
pekbro wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:51 am It's all good, probably be buying another module or two during the black friday sales fest.
Other than that still cruising at 362 hp. :)

Mixer, hmm I don't have a mixer other than whats in the rack. I don't really want
one tbh, I like to mix in the rack and record directly into my field recorder.
Though, I am lazy to record stuff lately...

Here's the modular grid: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/957374
I think we started getting into modular about the same time... and have gone in quiet different directions... the beauty of modular... one can build the synth/instrument as desired..
Cool looking modular peky.

As to the mixer I was referring to this photo... but I guess it's not yours...

I am a mixer slut... used to work for Trident wiring A and B range... owned a couple of MIDAS mixers with some beautiful custom parametric EQ (not MIDAS... made by a real gem electronics guy) and been fortunate to work on/with some top mixers.. Neve, Trident... Amek and a little known but well respected Raindirk mixer etc... :D

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7760&start=4695

I've been a bit lazy as well, regarding recording.. but started again recently.
I'm am going to need a mixer or a better audio interface before long, well, I do already heh.
My GAS has slowed somewhat in regard to Eurorack, mostly as I would like to get a couple stand alone
hardware synths and a nice HW processing chain going, e.g. API 500 series etc...

Anyway, you should make up a modular grid at some point, if you haven't, I would be curious to see
what you have done. Beyond starting out with the neutron and a few module purchases
that I can recall. I have no idea :) Modular grid is pretty handy for that.

-Cheers

One day I will come for all of your delays. :troll:

:hihi:

Nicely done. I really enjoyed the variation of the sequence through-out. Are you using a Dopefer A-185-2 as your precision adder? I love flipping the switches on that thing!

Thanks for sharing!

Quite enjoyed. Definitely preferred the second motif that it evolved into (around the 4:50 mark), which really got the head bopping. Would definitely mix the drums louder, though :tu:

pekbro wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:35 am I'm am going to need a mixer or a better audio interface before long, well, I do already heh.
My GAS has slowed somewhat in regard to Eurorack, mostly as I would like to get a couple stand alone
hardware synths and a nice HW processing chain going, e.g. API 500 series etc...

Anyway, you should make up a modular grid at some point, if you haven't, I would be curious to see
what you have done. Beyond starting out with the neutron and a few module purchases
that I can recall. I have no idea :) Modular grid is pretty handy for that.

-Cheers
I'm still using my E-MU 1212m from 2003 but in July added a Beringer ADA8200 to pump 8 channels down the ADAT, giving me 10... I split signals from the modular into the ADA8200 and into a rather old and cheap mixer to feed my also old Alesis Quadraverb... could always use more but!! Unfortunately I don't have room to bring inj my HW compressor nor my (also old... nah VERY old ) valve tape machine. I used to use it ouit PC>>> Drawmer compressor>>valve tape machine (just using the pres not tape)>> into 2nd PC... lovely sound ;)

Oh.. I made up a modular grid... was a mistake. I made it after I had ordered a few utility modules and a 32 hp case... just so I could do more with the Neutron and o-coast. Thing is .. by the end of that first session I had a 104 hp almost full. When the kit arrived next day, I phoned the supplier and said>>"what is this... 32 hp... nah, I need 104" man he laughed.

So here are links to how it works.
There are some modules I'm thinking about>> 3rd row, right side.
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/962938

This is a control skiff I am working on.
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1004117

And this is what it looks like... notice the shoe box...
I might go 120 or 160 hp for the skiff... decisions decisions.
IMAG0657.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

justin3am wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:56 am One day I will come for all of your delays. :troll:

:hihi:

Nicely done. I really enjoyed the variation of the sequence through-out. Are you using a Dopefer A-185-2 as your precision adder? I love flipping the switches on that thing!

Thanks for sharing!
:o :cry:
You've got enough... leave me alone...

Yeah... 2 A-185-2 and a-182-2 quad switch and 2x A-182-1s... they really have opened up some flexibility.

Thanks for listening...
remember, a while back I said I had been watching your U_Tubby vids... long time before I knew that it was 3am here... :lol:

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:23 am Quite enjoyed. Definitely preferred the second motif that it evolved into (around the 4:50 mark), which really got the head bopping. Would definitely mix the drums louder, though :tu:
Hmmm... from some one who is really talented.. quiet enjoyed is a compliment indeed...

I know you're talented and you piss me off :lol: :lol: :hug:

Because your music is from years ago... don't waste that talent... or you'll get old and grumpy like me... ;)

No seriously.. I been wandering through your soundcloud... man there is good stuff there.
BUT...
I also know how life goes...

:wink:

Thanks for the listen Bo Jingles
or does it
jangle
;)

toonertik wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:02 pm
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:23 am Quite enjoyed. Definitely preferred the second motif that it evolved into (around the 4:50 mark), which really got the head bopping. Would definitely mix the drums louder, though :tu:
Hmmm... from some one who is really talented.. quiet enjoyed is a compliment indeed...

I know you're talented and you piss me off :lol: :lol: :hug:

Because your music is from years ago... don't waste that talent... or you'll get old and grumpy like me... ;)

No seriously.. I been wandering through your soundcloud... man there is good stuff there.
BUT...
I also know how life goes...

:wink:

Thanks for the listen Bo Jingles
or does it
jangle
;)
I might be even older than you, and maybe sometimes grumpier :shrug:

Anyway! "Quite enjoyed" isn't a fair assessment. I wasn't so into the first part of the track, but then i really enjoyed the second part. And even the part I wasn't so into would likely have hit a bit better for me had the mix preferred the drums, a little more.

Also, it's worth pointing that I'm still not fully attuned to modular music, yet. There are clearly limiting factors even if you have a wall full of the stuff. And I think that having an appreciation or basic knowledge of how patches/sequences/pieces are realised will also make the end result more interesting. This is a world I don't really understand, so I can only judge the end result. And I think that's a shame. Maybe one day I'll learn the secrets of the musical telephone exchange :tu:

And thanks for the compliments on my music. I'm a bit of a chancer, really. That's one of the reasons why my output is so inconsistent. New stuff on the way...any decade now :scared:

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:29 pm

Anyway! "Quite enjoyed" isn't a fair assessment. I wasn't so into the first part of the track, but then i really enjoyed the second part. And even the part I wasn't so into would likely have hit a bit better for me had the mix preferred the drums, a little more.

Also, it's worth pointing that I'm still not fully attuned to modular music, yet. There are clearly limiting factors even if you have a wall full of the stuff. And I think that having an appreciation or basic knowledge of how patches/sequences/pieces are realised will also make the end result more interesting. This is a world I don't really understand, so I can only judge the end result. And I think that's a shame. Maybe one day I'll learn the secrets of the musical telephone exchange :tu:

And thanks for the compliments on my music. I'm a bit of a chancer, really. That's one of the reasons why my output is so inconsistent. New stuff on the way...any decade now :scared:
:tu: :lol: :lol: yup.. I got 60 or so cables in the patch I'm now working on.
Ok.. I need my calculator for this... too many dead brain cells.. :oops:
2 when tubular bells released... 48 ?
Yeah... not older... I was 19>>> :P
grumpier... calculator melted on me... ok, mr grumppppy!

Attuned to modular... well this is it really.
There are so many ways to use modular... vurt goes into the extraordinary, building waves and waves of textures and sounds... some do drones, we build a system to satisfy our sound desires :shrug:

It is very different to the traditional way of working, either tape or DAW.

This is the guy I like...

His is much bigger than mine... although mine will grow... no way do I want be as big as his.. a real handful.

This is stevio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CY8lR7Hkjyw

damn you toon!
im on my phone or that would be quoted out of context :x

Thanks for the modular grid update toonertik, you have been busy! Anyway, very nice!
Lots of great modules there :tu:

you've got a little 'g-spot tornado' on you ...

toonertik wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:57 pm
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:29 pm

:tu: :lol: :lol: yup.. I got 60 or so cables in the patch I'm now working on.
Ok.. I need my calculator for this... too many dead brain cells.. :oops:
2 when tubular bells released... 48 ?
Yeah... not older... I was 19>>> :P
grumpier... calculator melted on me... ok, mr grumppppy!

Attuned to modular... well this is it really.
There are so many ways to use modular... vurt goes into the extraordinary, building waves and waves of textures and sounds... some do drones, we build a system to satisfy our sound desires :shrug:

It is very different to the traditional way of working, either tape or DAW.

This is the guy I like...

His is much bigger than mine... although mine will grow... no way do I want be as big as his.. a real handful.

This is stevio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CY8lR7Hkjyw
Pretty close to 48. So yeah...you beat me :wink:

Pretty sure the whole modular thing is quite new for you, no?

i cant remember if toon mentioned any modular in the past, but i do know he blames me :hihi: and that neutron was the first bit he bought. so definitely as recent as that was released.
i only got in to eurorack march/april 2018 although i have owned my bugbrand for a good few years, but hes less chaotic.
and obvs. years of software modulars.

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:52 am
Pretty close to 48. So yeah...you beat me :wink:

Pretty sure the whole modular thing is quite new for you, no?
BloodyH.. I won something at last... :band:

New to me... yes and no.
In 1972 or 73 I went to an allnight trip_out gig featuring Arthur Brown and Kingdom Come.
Fascinted by the live engineering and being a gear slut (yes.. it started back in the 1960s :oops: ) I help load some PA into the gig (a seedy dive in King's Cross).. The raodie said... go on lad.. have a freebie, pointing to the backstage. My mate and I found the band room and knocked the door... "come in" said the deep voice of Arthur. The band were all sitting on the floor around a saucepan smoking the biggest cone I had seen... "sit down... take a toke and roll one up" pointing to the pan nearly full of prime African weed. I sat down close to the VC3 synth... dribbling like a hicky pubescent fool . After some time and showing interest in said synth... the keyboardist.. Goodge (RIP) asked if I was interested...
And hence began my lesson... After which he pulled the pins out handed them to me and said, "your turn".. He had taught well... I got it! Over the next few years I used to patch up VC3s and Arps... lent to me for creating weird sounds ... funny thing, never a mini Moog ... different people... 1078 bought a Roland system 100 (101 and 102 expansion unit... semi modular)
But, yes... Eurorack>> March this year...

and as vurt says...
but wrong about blame... encouraged by following his modular threat... ;)
Last edited by toonertik on Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

vurt wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:21 pm i cant remember if toon mentioned any modular in the past, but i do know he blames me :hihi: and that neutron was the first bit he bought. so definitely as recent as that was released.
i only got in to eurorack march/april 2018 although i have owned my bugbrand for a good few years, but hes less chaotic.
and obvs. years of software modulars.
Nooo.. not blame...
Just got bit jealous as I followed your modular building threat...
I had been lusting for a modular for years.. when I first found out about sinthesizer.com and then Eurorack.
As I retired this year... the bullet needed a bite.. :hyper:
Last edited by toonertik on Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Music Cafe”