Realistic solo violin

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Aloysius wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:21 pm Realistic solo violin

Ceci n'est pas une violin

Pourquoi pas?

fastlanephil wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:48 am the 2005 Garritan Stradivarius Solo Violin. I believe it was the first solo violin library. It was just a little too difficult to master for most people as you had to actually play it in using velocity while you controlled vibrato with the mod wheel and expression with an expression pedal. Editing was kind of a nightmare.
That's actually just the very basics of getting a performance out of a samples violin or what-have-you.
With the exception of things which are scripted to get basic behaviors just playing the notes, or advanced modeling a little bit now, the convincing aspect out of using such a thing tends towards the tedious and painful.

Beyond mod wheel and a pedal for CC11 (I actually don't even bother, you have real control in editing, editing is the whole thing unless you're just magical), there is vastly more which can be done to get the details right. Control of the release characteristic; legato blur; cutting into the sample to get a flatter attack for short notes; a B version of the patch which has a pronounced release while A does not; degree of designed error in pitching the thing; repetitions which use round robin (you may not want 'em all, or you want to know from the difference one to the next)

Composers have written detailed violin stuff since forever, being a violinist is not required per se.

So while I think this track is musical, it isn't a violin, and per The Treachery of Images it's an inaccurate picture of one.
Last edited by jancivil on Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

dellboy wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:52 pm
Aloysius wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:21 pm Realistic solo violin

You chose poorly as that particular violin resides in a glass case in Oxford England and is never played.

Its permanently muted :hihi:
:lol:
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Forgotten wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:14 pm Pourquoi pas?
Well, one way we should be able to tell that is not a violin is a violin is three dimensional...
there are other differences of course

jancivil wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:33 pm
Forgotten wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:14 pm Pourquoi pas?
one reason that is not a violin is a violin is three dimensional...
there are other differences of course
Ah, thought you had recognized it for a non-standard instrument of some kind. Didn’t cross my mind that you were talking on a literal level. :hihi:

Ah, je ne connaissais pas le tableau.

Realistic solo violin

dellboy wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:54 pm The violin is usually considered to be the hardest instrument to play, so hoping to emulate it with samples and using a keyboard or whatever is a pretty impossible task.
As a clarinet player I would like to state that I think it is actually harder to master :)

Out
-------------------
Bitwig is my DAWs and UHe and Tracktion Synths are my Bae. I maybe buy one synth a year. REMEMBER SELF just one synth a year!

Guy Bacos using VSL Solo Violin 2

Tear

mtelesha wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:38 pm
dellboy wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:54 pm The violin is usually considered to be the hardest instrument to play, so hoping to emulate it with samples and using a keyboard or whatever is a pretty impossible task.
As a clarinet player I would like to state that I think it is actually harder to master :)

Out

Do you also play the violin so that you can compare the difficulty levels ?

AS a banjo player, I think it is actually harder to master too.

Return to “Music Cafe”