Light Speed [Trance] ... feedback welcome...

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

My latest attempt at Trance.
Feedback on mixing, arrangement, sound choice always welcome.
(The bass & bass-swell VPS Avenger presets I made for this track are available for free download via my Youtube channel, here: http://y2u.be/6NS_6TbXDx4 )
https://soundcloud.com/bansaw-843690132 ... ger-series

Arrangement and mixing are good, kept me engaged. Although Trance is normally longer than 4mins.
Reaper (win), i7-7700k, 16GB

This is pretty decent! Is this a preview? I figured it would be longer.

What's there to say? Excellent all the way around. I agree though, it should be longer.

I find the drum and percussion just a bit too in your face, the choice of sounds end up in a mish-mash of getting lost and there's little to no chord / key changes to change things up. Overuse of arpeggiation for momentum is something else I feel... and while there's plenty of energy in the track, it doesn't feel like it has a lot soul. I get the impression that it's very preset heavy from pre-recorded loops... Overall though I like it, but it does feel pretty generic and not very memorable.
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

I think its bloody excellent. I don't think trance needs to be long. Especially if you are writing vocal trance, That needs to fit radio play times.
Any track can be extended if need be.
Banshaw keep up the great work!

Last edited by Vortifex on Mon May 17, 2021 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Although Trance is not the genre I am in usually, I think this track is very weel conceived, nice melodies that alternate with the arps. Sounds good on headphones, cool mix and mastering. Good work!

It's a bit too much in my face. I like the bass at the beginning (0:07) and end though (3:36). Unfortunately, it wasn't repeated.

@MasterTuner, @ampldotfi, @Wags, thanks, Trance is normally longer. Laziness has something to do with not completely bring a track to its full potential. After 200 playbacks, I often just want it out of the door and move on. Thats maybe a mentality thing with me.
@Intrancer, thanks... there are no loops in the track, everything is home-baked... thanks for your remarks on chord variation, thats something for me to ponder.
@Mikelo, thanks : )
@Vortifex, thanks, good point about the arp, I was conscious of this and looking to re-introduce it earlier, but it didn't work and I went with another arp pattern.
@htcnext2, thanks : )
@excuseme, sorry your face was assaulted :s ... If you want to hear an "in your face" track, look up my last Trance track I did, "Strange Oribit", and listen to the 2nd half! I got my butt kicked when I posted that on KVR for being too much in-face. This track is milder by comparison ;)

I felt like you could have had a longer build up in the intro - it might address the slightly in-your-face arpeggio comments too if you did that. This would also allow the (hypothetical) DJ to mix - that's primarily why these things are so sparse and are often just the kick and nothing else. You don't necessarily need to go that extreme, but it is something that contributes to making the genre what it is IMO.

Great one, Bansaw! :tu: That's how Trance should be.

@sjm - thanks, I'm still trying to get into the mindset that Trance should be longer and given time to build.
@Gabriel - thanks, appreciate the comment. :tu:

I don't think it is too much into the face - it's quite good going on, I would
call it "Fast Trance". Good break at ca. 2:50: It goes slower and then again
we get on to lightspeed - like in rollercoaster!

Yes, I enjoyed this fast and spacey trip, heard it already twice! :tu:
free mp3s + info: andy-enroe.de songs + weird stuff: enroe.de

I got and kept my attention. The boldness, if yer faceness, bombast is what I liked.
At times the sound is awfully thick but it is more awe than terrible so it is good.
As always I would like to hear more narrative development as after a while it starts to feel like a workout more than a journey - but it is rare that I don't say that.
That ending is immense!!!
:-)

Return to “Music Cafe”