Wagtunes Production Music

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

donkey tugger wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:53 pm I've found over the years that absence makes the heart grow less fond, i.e. before absolutely settling on something as a 'final' version I always leave it for at least a week or so without listening to it. Bit of perspective through distance has many times worked to reveal what the bleedin' obvious faults are in something. In the meantime, you can always do something else.
This is my process too. So working on my library / production music demo project, I'm working on about 5 tracks right now, and at any time I won't listen to one for a few days at least.

Easy for me, 'cause I have a separate career / am not retired, and I'm often traveling so I'm not nearly as prolific as if this were my main thang (I do always have my laptop and a MIDI controller, but typically lack the time!) But I'd be inclined to work on a few different albums / sets if I were working more, just so I could stay away from the tracks a bit.

I get it's not your work process (Wags), but if you can put a track away at least a couple days and come back, you'll have fresher ears no matter how much you listened before.

JoeCat wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:42 pm
donkey tugger wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:53 pm I've found over the years that absence makes the heart grow less fond, i.e. before absolutely settling on something as a 'final' version I always leave it for at least a week or so without listening to it. Bit of perspective through distance has many times worked to reveal what the bleedin' obvious faults are in something. In the meantime, you can always do something else.
This is my process too. So working on my library / production music demo project, I'm working on about 5 tracks right now, and at any time I won't listen to one for a few days at least.

Easy for me, 'cause I have a separate career / am not retired, and I'm often traveling so I'm not nearly as prolific as if this were my main thang (I do always have my laptop and a MIDI controller, but typically lack the time!) But I'd be inclined to work on a few different albums / sets if I were working more, just so I could stay away from the tracks a bit.

I get it's not your work process (Wags), but if you can put a track away at least a couple days and come back, you'll have fresher ears no matter how much you listened before.
Except your basing that on your own brain and the way it works. Trust me, it won't matter for me. The few times in my life where I had no choice but to put a track away because I was either out of town or literally lost power to my home for 4 days (Sandy) it didn't matter. I came back to my track, put it on and it was like I never left it. Every note, every part, every second, I knew down to the length of the filter sweep.

I am cursed this way. It's why I can't go to concerts. Why? It's not the record. Any deviation and it literally hurts my ears. The 2009 Beatles remasters. I can't listen to them. They're just plain wrong. Most people probably couldn't tell the difference or care for that matter. I can tell and I do care.

I can put my track away for a month. It won't matter. As soon as I listen to it, I'll instantly recognize it note for note and go "yep, that's it. That's the way it's supposed to sound" and not be able to imagine it any other way.

I remade an old song of mine "God's Magical Garden" and I hate it, even though the newer recording is so much cleaner. It just isn't the original and never can be.

Please, don't try to understand me. This is me. I am way too old to try to change the way my brain works.

I listened to "Closer Encounter." I normally don't like a lot of reverb and this but this was well done. Sort of an alien orchestra tuning up in a distant cavernous complex. :) At the very end, we get a brief excerpt of the famous theme which is a nice touch. :tu:

Frantz wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:56 pm I listened to "Closer Encounter." I normally don't like a lot of reverb and this but this was well done. Sort of an alien orchestra tuning up in a distant cavernous complex. :) At the very end, we get a brief excerpt of the famous theme which is a nice touch. :tu:
Thanks for the listen and the feedback Frantz. I made sure I changed the riff enough so that I wouldn't be sued. lol

8th track from my "ambient" album. 4 more tracks and then I'm moving onto another genre.

Couple of soundscapes, crickets, a sitar and bansuri. Couldn't decide between "The Journey" and "Archaeological Dig". What do you think? I can always rename.

https://soundcloud.com/steven-wagenheim/the-journey

Nice, pure ambient. How about Archaeological Journey ?
wagtunes wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:49 pm Couldn't decide between "The Journey" and "Archaeological Dig". What do you think? I can always rename.

7blanche wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:27 am Nice, pure ambient. How about Archaeological Journey ?
wagtunes wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:49 pm Couldn't decide between "The Journey" and "Archaeological Dig". What do you think? I can always rename.
That cam work too. Thanks.

9th track from my ambient collection

Some soundscapes and a serangi

https://soundcloud.com/steven-wagenheim ... -territory

10th track from my ambient collection. 2 more and then I move onto something else.

https://soundcloud.com/steven-wagenheim/paradise-lost

Paradise lost.
A pleasant trip in paradise. Nice peaceful atmosphere. I liked melody and sounds.

markkuja wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:30 am Paradise lost.
A pleasant trip in paradise. Nice peaceful atmosphere. I liked melody and sounds.
Thanks for the listen and the feedback Mark. Much appreciated.

11th track from my ambient collection. 1 more and I move onto something else.

https://soundcloud.com/steven-wagenheim/lamentations

12th and final track of my ambient collection. Tomorrow I start on my next collection. Not sure exactly what I'm going to be tackling next.

https://soundcloud.com/steven-wagenheim/desolation

Never too sure what to say about ambient.. I mean, it's supposed to make you go quiet right? This is cool though (desolation), smooth at the surface but there's some nice darkness that peeks out here there. Lamentations has similar vibe, but more defined.. You could definitely make a cool soundtrack out of these.

Return to “Music Cafe”