voidsymphony - Space Traveller

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

This is the first track that I've gone to the trouble of getting properly mastered, "Space Traveller". To celebrate actually finishing a track, I also coded up a website for it - featuring a starfield made of tiny musical notes, and a mathematically-generated space octopus [!]:

https://voidsymphony.com

The track is about 5 minutes long, and I'd categorise it as melodic electronica. I composed it using a number of classic VST synths - zebraHZ, repro, omnisphere all running in Studio One 4.5. The lead piano sound is from True Keys, and I use Valhalla reverb and delays.

Feedback much appreciated! Cheers.

Love the website. Very unique and interesting.
The music itself is uncomplicated and pleasant. Would be nice if the arrangement had been more interesting and engaging. There's not much chord /melodic variety or energy changes etc. Could have done with some of that.

Yes the website is great! Unique for sure. I liked how the buttons start to bounce when the kick enters. Good job. Your song is a pleasant listen, but like Bansaw I could use a bit more movement. However, I see the track is done. Some twiddling on the arp that runs throughout would have upped the experience for me. I enjoyed the piano parts the most. Thanks for sharing 8)
Reverbnation
see ya 'round...

Bansaw, Morgaxx,

Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated! I agree that there could have been more harmonic variation - I was trying to keep it simple to act as a 'theme' for the website. Maybe the track could have been a little shorter too.

Now that the website is up and running - it took way more time than was reasonable :-) - hope to get some more music up soon.

Cool website! The song sounds good but is a little generic.

Thanks for the comments Frantz. My next track 'Resurgence' will be much more energetic/less generic.

Beautiful. Like a heartbeat in the dark.

This sounds great. Well balanced and coming out nicely of my speakers. website is great though i wish to be able to scroll through the song.. yes, i know i'm barbaric.

Website - I appreciate how much time that takes (my son is programming a website at the moment)! :) It works well...maybe just tone down the bright white centre to the octopus just a little bit?

One other thing here (small point)...when I listen to music on a site, I like to listen more than once quite often...including sometimes finding specific points in the music...that doesn't seem possible here...no 'song position' bar as such?

Space Traveller - I thoroughly enjoyed the listen...

Production is all beautifully judged - warm, but still with punch, a sense of space and clarity.

Musically, I disagree a little bit with those that say it is too simple and needs significant development...

The two main chord sequences are definitely similar, C G F and then Am G F, but the Am does add just a little edge of variation to the mood. and then of course you have the contrasting section with a totally different key centre, new sounds and melodic content.

My VERY small issue was actually the piano part and some note choices which I think could've been 1) improved upon 2) maybe developed and extended melodically at the end for a bigger finish.

Note choices that (only slightly bugged me):

2nd Main chord sequence you add in an E to the F chord potentially creating a richer FM7 chord out of nowhere...nothing wrong with this, but the problem is that all your rippling arpeggios for each chord add in the 2nd note as well, meaning that your F chord arpeggio is actually F (G) A C and the E in the piano doesn't sit entirely comfortably there to my ear in this context.

Also 2nd main chord sequence you use a strong, sustained melodic E above the G chord, potentially creating a feel of the richer, 4 note G6 chord...again, just seems slightly out of place in this context as your G chord is actually G (A) B D in the arpeggio part....which muddies the harmonic waters a little bit.
Mark Taylor, Chameleon Music - Professional composition and sound design for all media since 1994.

https://www.chameleonmusic.co.uk/

Enjoyed listening to "Space Traveller" and your website is very cool!
Nice sounds and well put together. I can see what Mark says about the harmonic flow at times, it sounds slightly jarring. Maybe that's what you want...
Well done!
:)
Bandcamp
Music with progressive intent.

Return to “Music Cafe”