Blindcrake — "Blueshift" (ambient/guitar/electronic)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi all, new tune I pulled together today in Bitwig... some ambient/post-rock-ish guitar on top of a kick and sub I crafted along with some shifting pads. Thanks for listening and hope you enjoy!

https://soundcloud.com/blindcrake/blueshift

My Feedback

Music - 6
Instruments - 7
Performance - 7
Mix - 8

Overall - 7

Comments: So I'm listening and listening and 1:30 in I can see that it's just the same guitar riff over and over. Needs to go somewhere but it doesn't. And if it does down the road it's way too late. At 2:15 I'm bored stiff. By now, I've turned the station off. Mix is decent but needs an actual song to go along with it.

Seems a bit congested in the lows, but I quite like the overall ambience. My biggest issue is with the use of the bass drum for hits where a different drum would likely work better. And if you didn't want to include higher frequency from e.g a snare, maybe it would be worth removing some of the bass hit, using the remaining hits to act more as more of an anchor than they do currently.

wagtunes wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:50 pm My Feedback

By now, I've turned the station off. Mix is decent but needs an actual song to go along with it.
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:12 pm Seems a bit congested in the lows, but I quite like the overall ambience.
Thanks both for your feedback, appreciated!

I quite liked the combination of the dry kick with the warm bass and its contrast with the delayed/reverbed guitar. Decidedly diaphanous.

Good work :)

PG 1543+489 ...

:clap:

seismic1 wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:12 pm I quite liked the combination of the dry kick with the warm bass and its contrast with the delayed/reverbed guitar. Decidedly diaphanous.

Good work :)
experimental.crow wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:38 am PG 1543+489 ...

:clap:
Thank you both... :)

Kind of music you might listen to after a long days work, dinner, then look out of the window of your hi-rise flat and contemplate life.

Personally, I find the Drums in these otherwise Ambient pieces really undo the feeling of letting go that the piece otherwise seems to suggest. Drums can be releasing but when they are rigid loops with an emphasis on the midset of EDM & Hip Hop, they ground the piece instead of letting it soar somewhere. I too would like some melodic or narrative development.

:-)

Bansaw wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:40 pm Kind of music you might listen to after a long days work, dinner, then look out of the window of your hi-rise flat and contemplate life.
Thanks!
Benedict wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:05 am Personally, I find the Drums in these otherwise Ambient pieces really undo the feeling of letting go that the piece otherwise seems to suggest. Drums can be releasing but when they are rigid loops with an emphasis on the midset of EDM & Hip Hop, they ground the piece instead of letting it soar somewhere. I too would like some melodic or narrative development.
Benedict, thanks for the thoughtful reply; I don't disagree with you, and I'm not much of an EDM or hip hop fan at all style-wise but I guess I do enjoy the 'sound' from time to time. I agree with the rigid loop comment but I guess being an old progressive rock guy and loving odd meters (I think the loop is 13/8 but I'd have to go back and count it) so the repetition didn't bother me... and as you noted, sometimes with my more ambient pieces I lean toward repetition/ostinato stuff (or maybe it's creative laziness!).

Thanks again for your comment and listening. :)

i enjoyed it, very mellow.
a soaring, sigur ros type solo over it would be nice maybe?

as for the drums, id wash them out in reverb personally. but then i don't like drums :lol:
(well, they have their place obviously, just not in my studio).

Nice mellow, ambient track, which I enjoyed listening to as I surfed around the internet. Drums are a little monotonous and could have done with blending a touch more with the track. That aside - nice job.
I invite you to 'voyage' over to https://adrianearnshaw.com, sign up for some fun e-mail 'blasts', and look forward to helping you launch your ears - and projects - into the stratosphere.

vurt wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:37 pm I don't like drums :lol:
(well, they have their place obviously, just not in my studio).
:hug:

Return to “Music Cafe”