vurt - horror geet crush (dark ambient guitar piece)[actually rather bloody good as well]{do not miss!}

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

vurt wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:58 pm it's not for everyone, especially when you factor in lack of presets, or additional noise, tuning...
And developing 'operator's claw' from all that picking around between cables :scared:

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:06 pm
vurt wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:58 pm it's not for everyone, especially when you factor in lack of presets, or additional noise, tuning...
And developing 'operator's claw' from all that picking around between cables :scared:
preferable to "gardeners claw" from picking snails out of your cress.

and yes, that might also be a euphemism :P

vurt wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 4:15 pm
jancivil wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:48 pm Listened to a bit of this. Much more 'musical' than others in this vein, orchestral sound-groups appear and the time shaping is more coherent. And it's Epic[/thread]. I think it's good.
yeah, i was surprised at some of the sounds coming from a bit of distorted guitar.
morphagene is basically a tape splice and recorder all in one, to think how long it would have taken to do this with actual physical tape.
gives me a whole new appreciation when listening back to those earliest of experiments. those people had stamina! :hail:
I'm getting into doing less these days.

VSL Smart Spheres has some UNBELIEVABLE patches. It's all from acoustic sources but these are absolutely killer synth patches anyway. And you can sculpt it pretty deeply, subtracting, and modulate via sends (and reinforce/cancel in doublings and stereo differences).

If I declared a major at SFCM it would have been Lab, doing mostly tape. But that was aeons ago.

jancivil wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:49 pm
I'm getting into doing less these days.
minimalism can be a good thing, leaves space for individual sounds to flourish as oppose to everything getting a short time to shine.
(the concept as oppose to the genre label)
VSL Smart Spheres has some UNBELIEVABLE patches. It's all from acoustic sources but these are absolutely killer synth patches anyway. And you can sculpt it pretty deeply, subtracting, and modulate via sends (and reinforce/cancel in doublings and stereo differences).
where you using that on chausettes sinister? (forgive spelling mistakes :hihi:)
or have we yet to hear it? im pretty sure ive seen you mention it somewhere here, and you seem pretty excited about it, as you do here :tu:
so i look forward to hearing what the future brings :D

feel free to post any links if i missed something, im ok with people posting stuff as part of a conversation :)

If I declared a major at SFCM it would have been Lab, doing mostly tape. But that was aeons ago.
there are odd times i see machines on ebay, i think, ooh well it would be nice...
then i think yeah but all that manual labour :o :lol:

maybe if i ever move in to a house where i know i can stay as long as possible.
might be nice to get a couple for frippertronics :hihi:
id be worried about damage to those during a move i think.

I used one thing for one long note towards the end of "IIA" [aka Halawat], with some subtle-ish Molekular growing out of it.
Certain patches came for free with VE Pro 7... to get you hooked. This is not in the first versions tho.
I was so fascinated by the ones I heard I bought the product. I wouldn't have based in the demos which tend to the cheesy sort of quasi-EDM/Cinematic side. It's odd how far they have gone with sound design using FX, saturation, chorus/flange, Leslie, "Auto Gain" which is tremolo (you can set it for low or high frequencies to wobble). And room 'verb, plate; on top of everything from close and totes dry to very distant ambient with the Synchron Stage. But they baked a lot into the patches, you can kind of guess what they started as, some more than others. It's very intelligently designed. I got hip to it with FX Strings Vol I which added FX in an update.
But the all-straight acoustic/all dry modi operandi they've had for 16 yrs has gone way into outer space kind of with a vengeance this last year.

I'm about to have a short section of it, even though I'm 'doing less' there is a lot of control involved. Also NI Thrill involved, similar in that the sources are acoustic but you put it thru some changes. It's about clusters, cloudy and clearing, my Ligeti interest. VSL is doing some nifty stuff like sends to the Aux/FX from CC1 while another CC moves (via doubles of patches) across the room, so you get a facile quick glimpse of the landscape.

There still is really no other option than a couple of matching machines for Frippertronics or the Eno setup he stole from, there are many attempts but the deterioration of multiple passes is beyond the models so far. AFAIK that is.
I have lost my Yamaha reference monitors and a Mackie Control board to moves.

that smart spheres does sound interesting
obviously vsl is going to be quality, even if they change up the style a bit.

ill keep an eye out for your next track
more ligeti-esque stuff is always welcome here 8)

and definitely, on the tape deterioration, take something like william basinski's pieces, just a short loop on repeat, becomes something beautiful as it fades and blurs with each repeat.
i have a few pedals that come close, with the fading out side of things but the random noise and just isn't quite there.
im interested in trying one of these new drum delay emulations (strymon and ehx both have one, and ive noticed a couple mentioned in fx here) i know theyre a different machine, they have their own beauty, but im wondering if i could get something more realistic there.

and i can dream about the real thing anyway :hihi:

SFCM had the two Revoxes and a Teac mixer...

jancivil wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:10 pm SFCM had the two Revoxes and a Teac mixer...
nice!
im not sure ill be getting anything so "special".
probably lesser brands, unless the lottery comes in. :hihi:

Very vurty.

sjm wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:38 pmVery vurty.
id hope so too :o
thanks for listening 8)

Some brilliant sounds which make for excellent late night listening. :tu:

May I suggest the following changes?:
* eliminate that wobbly, dizzying panning effect
* add sexy shuffle girls

Reminds me of traveling on a train from Utrecht to Amsterdam after smoking the weed that won the High Times cup that year :hihi: Kind of rhythmic but you suddenly realize things are just morphing and changing so you're never really listening to the same rhythm twice.

Very cool that you did the whole thing from a guitar loop.

Frantz wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:51 am Some brilliant sounds which make for excellent late night listening. :tu:
thanks glad you enjoyed 8)
May I suggest the following changes?:
* eliminate that wobbly, dizzying panning effect
:o you could hear that too? thank god, i thought id smoked too much.
cant change as such, its a record straight to two track, but i will rethink its use in future 8)
although, sometimes, dizzying is fun :ud:
* add sexy shuffle girls
i think that's something we could all learn from.

thanks for listening, i will catch yours when im able to sit at the speakers not the phone, which is crap for listening to music.

Forgotten wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:23 am Reminds me of traveling on a train from Utrecht to Amsterdam after smoking the weed that won the High Times cup that year :hihi: Kind of rhythmic but you suddenly realize things are just morphing and changing so you're never really listening to the same rhythm twice.
that's usually the effect im going for :hihi:
kinda almost hypnotic, but occasionally jarring :lol:
Very cool that you did the whole thing from a guitar loop.
yep, all credit to the machines of course, its inspirational.
just play anything through it, record a bit, then let it morph and slice while recording to the host.
then cut out some of the cool bits and start from there 8)

thanks for listening 8)

Pretty damn good. I'll have another listen next weekend when a "volume opportunity" should present itself.

Good work :)

Return to “Music Cafe”