Cathédrale Notre-Dame de Paris - Short Composition

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

A short composition dedicated to the monumental Notre-Dame cathedral. I limited myself to the most iconic instruments used in sacred music...Voice and Organ. Hope I was able to get the point across through this short composition.

https://youtu.be/axcwY8LMB0U

Nice.
I was going to suggest adding more reverb, but you did that after 1:05.
Loved 1:39 onwards.

Thank you Bansaw. Yes, the idea was to start from a smaller sounding vocal ensemble and then gradually moving to that grandness associated with Cathedral music.

Nice little composition.
Perhaps the end is a bit too "complex", but
I really enjoyed it !
Thanks

(( D ))

drumity wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:07 pm Nice little composition.
Perhaps the end is a bit too "complex", but
I really enjoyed it !
Thanks

(( D ))
Thank you D. Did you find the chord progression too complex towards the end? The ending cadances?

You´re welcome.
Yes the movement from the G#maj7 to the G/D would be enough, without the leading vocal phrase towards the G#maj7. It would be hard to sing also ;-)
My profs always stated "Keep it simple !"
But one has to hear it sing by a choir more articulated perhaps and than it would make perfect sense.
Just an observation :-)

(( D ))

Solid. Feelings of tension, sadness, and even evokes the nature of disaster, but resolves feeling triumphant. I think you communicated really well.

drumity wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:35 pm You´re welcome.
Yes the movement from the G#maj7 to the G/D would be enough, without the leading vocal phrase towards the G#maj7. It would be hard to sing also ;-)
My profs always stated "Keep it simple !"
But one has to hear it sing by a choir more articulated perhaps and than it would make perfect sense.
Just an observation :-)

(( D ))
That's true. I've done a ton of choir arrangements and the real deal always sounds drastically different with the professional ensemble that is. I still think it needed that chromatic voicing in this context. Too simple would be too clean and easy for this tragedy...but it's always great to hear it from a different perspective. Extremely useful, thanks!
Last edited by In The Mix on Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

noelyoungstudio wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:11 am Solid. Feelings of tension, sadness, and even evokes the nature of disaster, but resolves feeling triumphant. I think you communicated really well.
Thank you. Yes, my goal was to create that fear/tension. I wanted to finish it with just the choir, but from what I hear the Organ survived the fire. So I thought it'd be a better idea to keep the Organ and have that victorious cadence.

Return to “Music Cafe”