April Contest: Gossip

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'll make another attempt to get something together this month - don't hold your breath though :roll:
It wasn't me! (well, actually, it probably was) - apparently now an 'elderly' so maybe I forgot!

Jeez Donks, could you post something bad for a change so I don't feel too intimidated to participate?

funky lime wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:49 pm Jeez Donks, could you post something bad for a change so I don't feel too intimidated to participate?
:-o

Any old shite sounds good on a 12 string :hihi:

Some pretty clean Donkey 12 String Guitar work I must say. Mix is right there. But it's the tambourine that's over the top! Never hear those anymore.

Tbase2000 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:23 pm But it's the tambourine that's over the top! Never hear those anymore.
Retro m'boy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYLKlgalHMs

I was of course dressed like that during the recording.Nice cape.

Tbase2000 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:23 pm...Mix is right there. But it's the tambourine that's over the top! Never hear those anymore.
I still can't hear them. :shrug:
The song is very, very good. But to be true i listened to it in hope of nice tambourine play.
What would Bananaramas "Walk like an egyptian" be without the tambourine?

PS. I have stopped listen to every song published here in music cafe as i used to. It is negative for my own creativity. I just select a few that seem not to be trance and techno or loudnessfreaks.

2:00 It's subtle but you can feel it. Very possible I'm playing it in my head also. Great place for some hot tambourine.

ahhh...the age of the short guitar strap. Now I wear my pants that high. Sigh...

Per99 is on the board. Sounding good man. What's going on with that strumming guitar and why does it sound so...Dithered...like it was streamed over a dial-up modem and then streamed back to record. If that was your real instrument what happened?

Wopelka has some interesting layers, nice tones, and I think the title fits exactly. Urban Dreamer. Very chill and cool.

The term Loudnessfreaks has got me a little. Maybe a little to Elitist for my taste. This whole -14LUFS kick everyone is on is solely because the streaming media wants it to be that way and make their product incompatible with the mainstream industry. You think your buying into the Linux Free Computers and Free World ideology but in reality your buying a proprietary Apple monster with their own dictated rules hoping they will stick so they can compete. Anyone ever build a website and remember the browser HTML wars? Same thing in streaming music happening right now. Everything a major studio submits to be streamed over the internet sounds like crap because they don't care about those loudness rules. They don't remix their song. They want you to get a bad listen from Spotify so that you will come back and buy their High Def stream or CD. Tell me one reason why the streaming services set their target turn down volume to -14LUFS when 99.9 percent of all music ever recorded was way louder than that? Why didn't they just set it a 0db and tell you to mix to 0db and don't clip? They want to be different and influential...to bring back the purity of a mix and let dynamic range live again. All bullshit. They want in on the industry and they are sorta. They are the goto garage band standard and Indie Platform. The world can't get on the Radio but they can get on YouTube or SoundCloud. Major Label CD releases, Radio EDM and Loud Metal music don't have dynamic ranges because it doesn't sound as good. A loud master gives it power. The industry has been mixing and mastering for 1000 years...and now someone wants to fix something that isn't broken. You can't sound as professional as the Major Labels at -14LUFS unless your purely talking about the mix. The master is going to be way louder than that. I expect my Rock Song to be louder then the country ballad...but I expect them to all get to 0db. You won't even get to 0db consistently on that Rock Song if your worried about the LUFS because you'll have to turn the whole thing down. It's just to low of a standard. Period. Unless your a classical elitist.

Man, do you know what paragraphs are? I can't even attempt to read that mess.

Learn to read first and come back when you have something to contribute. It's all one paragraph pertaining to the topic. If you haven't read it then why are you commenting in the first place. Go write some music.

Tbase2000 wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:26 am Learn to read first and come back when you have something to contribute. It's all one paragraph pertaining to the topic. If you haven't read it then why are you commenting in the first place. Go write some music.
I was attempting to read it but I can't read run-on paragraphs like that. Certainly you could have found a way to break it up just a little. Do you have any idea what a block of text like that looks like or do you even care?

That's okay, I'm done. Oh, please note, the second paragraph.

Oh, and please don't tell me what to do. You're not my mother.

Tbase2000 wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:32 pm What's going on with that strumming guitar and why does it sound so...Dithered...like it was streamed over a dial-up modem and then streamed back to record. If that was your real instrument what happened?
What happened? Some high cut filter and some chorus. I thought the guitar sounded too jingling without those fx. Especially in the chorus, with one guitar to the left and one to the right. I would have had to turn the volume down so much that no one would have heard it's actually two guitars. Don't know how a professional producer would have solved this.
To be is to do — Socrates.
To do is to be — Jean-Paul Sartre.
Do be do be do — Frank Sinatra.

per99 wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:31 am
Tbase2000 wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:32 pm What's going on with that strumming guitar and why does it sound so...Dithered...like it was streamed over a dial-up modem and then streamed back to record. If that was your real instrument what happened?
What happened? Some high cut filter and some chorus. I thought the guitar sounded too jingling without those fx. Especially in the chorus, with one guitar to the left and one to the right. I would have had to turn the volume down so much that no one would have heard it's actually two guitars. Don't know how a professional producer would have solved this.
Two ways.

1. Record the guitar part twice. Thus each performance is slightly different.

2. Put different FX and/or amps on each guitar part. That would clearly make each one different.

I've done many songs with multiple guitars left and right. It's not hard.

Here's a pretty stripped down song where you can clearly hear the stereo guitars. Listen with headphones.

https://soundcloud.com/steven-wagenheim ... /amp-it-up

Return to “Music Cafe”