Yeah, no

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

and no

/ What I'm working on now. This is, well, it doesn't add up to any 'Theme' but it's the basis for variation, which is where this cut stops.

Basis is a couple of licks Vai transcribed for Zappa which were transformed finally into a moment in Sinister Footwear I.
Which was never performed or released. Only rehearsed in Berkeley [1983] and apparently Berkeley didn't have time to pull it together. So there are these files floating around the internet, since the beginning of the internet really.

They're quantized, clearly from some notation application so it needs some work (eg: some slop) to be anything. I wrote some things and tweezed some things, and the variations will be all mine.

Kind of rough, but kind of hilarious... because it just isn't normal to do this. I went for some noise shit here. A bit horror movie./
Last edited by jancivil on Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:10 pm, edited 22 times in total.

:clap:

i had no issues w/ your choice of voicings ...
as you flesh this out , it will benefit from some serious considerations
as to staging / spacial placement ...

yes, clearly. I have things I need for this I don't have the bread for.
The one guitar part that's so tweaky, then the bass flute doubled with the synth, that has to be figured out.
I can't just lower the gain, the whole thing disappears. And you can't crank that acoustic bit, dynamically wrong, so it literally has to be depth of the field.
Probably moved to the other side for a start.

This is like the rough mix you take home after the session.

Now definitely better mix up.

Bonus bad craziness: MONEY
Me on electric guitar; Scott Brazieal on Yamaha e. grand, DX7 and voice; Gary Parra drums, Herb Diamant on winds (except for me, the group PFS, Cuneiform Records); Guy Segers (Univers Zero) overdubbed bass. Back then, apparently. 4 track cassette, originally Sony Walkman Pro, just its mic in the room. April 16, 1986.
Mostly made up on the spot, for sure there was no rehearsal. Brazieal seemed to have an idea and Parra understood it. Parra died July 2016.

Starts off coherent and goes off the rails. Not very good audio quality.

the first track has a residents at their more jazz fusion sound to it 8)

cant comment much on sounds or mix, not at home so on phone. will check in at home tomorrow :)

money definitely has that loose sound of musos following an idea together
letting one another step up and take a turn
would have loved to have been a fly on the wall. 8)

sorry about your friend parra.

thx for the listen.

sinister sox is pretty abstruse.

Parra and I hadn't really been friends for a while. He put his name and everybody's name who played on compositions of mine on his album. Which I wouldn't know except some journo at Wired had it as his #1 in 1997 and turns out I'm just the guitarist basically.

Could just have been cluelessness about what is done, but that isn't. We were on the H then. But I'm still bummed he died of f**king cancer of all things (at the age I am now). I was looking for links to that album and found a thread on Prog Archives or some web forum with that kinda name. We all lived in the same house when we did that, and but for Guy that would all be lost to the winds of time.

Cartoon went to tour Europe and know all those Rock In Opposition people. They had their whole van ripped off with all their equipment in it (Netherlands iirc), and had trouble with customs coming back.

From FZ to RIO.. interesting connection in this thread. You should definitively play more yer guitar ('n not shut up :) )
You can't always get what you waaaant...

I wish I could, I have peripheral neuropathy to the extent that's out the window now.

I saw a little while ago Clapton has the same issue "struggles to play".

Sorry for that, of course. So go on with the sinister socks.
You can't always get what you waaaant...

... ... ... ... ...
Last edited by jancivil on Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:08 pm, edited 5 times in total.

i get error 404 on the sections 1 and 2 link?

Yep, I must have lost that one. Thanks; replaced link

I ended up partially recreating from the notation, since there were errors in the mystery MIDI. 4:3 with 7-lets inside the 4 was just 4 beats, for one thing.

Nuendo does not nest tuplets so I have to do it myself.

The repetitive thing I invented seems to need to be repeated some more which isn't the most interesting path forward...

ancient history
Last edited by jancivil on Fri May 03, 2019 8:13 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Return to “Music Cafe”