Been working on this for a while now.

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

https://soundcloud.com/lessera/light-ye ... ra/s-Hd1u9

Mixing mostly on headphones these days (not loving that much) :? .

It's a bit retro, and a bit down-tempo. Does the mix sound too harsh? 2000 - 4000hz frequencies are a bit of a crap-shoot with these headphones.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.
Last edited by lessera on Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

I like retro and down-tempo :)
Sounds good here, but listening on headphones myself. The mix sounds solid to me.
Maybe you could add a little melodic variation towards the second half.

I think there's a lil bit too much pitch modulation at 2:54 & 3:14. Sounds a bit weird. But maybe that was intended.

Lol. Those pitchy spots you mentioned were supposed to be my Rudess(que) on-the-fly pitch bends. Though I am a guitarist, and not much of a keyboard player. :? Fair enough though, I tightened up the timing of those bends a little. Hopefully they don't sound so over-stated now.

Thanks for the feedback. :)

(This track was done using Reason 10.2, with a few REs for some of the synth bits)

harsh? quite the contrary... i think it lacks some HF content, like a tinkle here and there.
It can also use a bit of an overall volume boost then again, it is a pleasant mix as is.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

You're right. Volume boost definitely needed. I accidentally forgot to disable a 10db pad that I had put on the master channel during the final render. :bang: (bone-headed oversight).

Glad to hear there is a bit more space in the upper frequencies to play with... I will continue to work on it.

Thanks for the feedback.

I remember the first version of this very well indeed. The problem is that I know it so well that I'm now a bit conflicted as the new one is different enough to be hard to assess :?
Better? Not so good? I just don't know :shrug:
It wasn't me! (well, actually, it probably was) - apparently now an 'elderly' so maybe I forgot!

That's OK folderol. This is more of just a 'getting-back-into-music' exercise. I have learned some stuff since being away, and forgotten almost double that. In the end, nostalgia is something I shouldn't try to tamper with, but this is one track I have yet to be happy with.

Thanks for commenting, and welcome back yourself. :)

Updated the track to fill out the upper end of the spectrum a bit, and smooth out some of the rough spots with the synth work and transitions. Technically, I think the mix is passable now. Artistically though... sometimes I cannot see the forest from the trees regarding what is interesting, and what is not.

Thanks to everyone who provided feedback.

Very nice and melodic lessera! It's a bit repetitive, but who am i to say if that is good or bad.
I really like down-tempo stuff, must be an age thing. :)

Good work!

Return to “Music Cafe”