Fragile Gods - "Cold Comfort" (four track EP released)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

experimental.crow wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:18 am well made ...
another quality effort on your part ...
Thank you, sir!

silenthill2006 wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:18 pm I really enjoyed it. I liked the call and response with the male and female voices. I can see this being in a the credits of a movie or even a music video. Nice job!
Thanks Devin! I appreciate the feedback.

Allomerus wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:13 pm Quality 80s track with all the requisite elements.
Enjoyed it!
Well done.
:)
Thank you Mr. Wegner. :)

sjm wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:57 pm Listened, liked, came back for more.

I think the vocals are fine in the verses, but you could separate them more in the chorus.
Thanks sjm! The video contains a newer mix with some minor tweaks to the chorus vox.

Cool!... :dog: :hihi:

I listened on my laptop speakers a couple of days ago, and didn't want to comment then, but just now listened on my reference monitors and can honestly say that it sounds good to me! The song as far as writing, the singing, and the mix... all good, I really can't think of anything to critique.

Nothing wrong with the vocals in the chorus either (maybe you've changed it since those comments were made). In theory, the male and female voices should be fine dead in the centre, because your voices couldn't be more different!

I'd probably put a lot of plate reverb on the male vocal... but then everybody would moan about the plate reverb on the vocals. :hihi: I truly believe that there are many "right ways" to mix a song, two people could mix the same song completely differently, yet they'd both be as right as each other.

Oh, and I immediately thought of the soundtrack from the movie Drive... so that's another lil' bonus. :clap:

fastlanephil wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:24 am Nice tune! Well done.

It does sound like post Spiders D.Bowie. The female vocalist seemed to have a nice country style voice in her solo.

:tu:
Thanks Phil! Yes, I do get a lot of comparisons to Mr. Bowie.

I guess Aika is a country gal from the Philipines? :)

layzer wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:36 am ahhh electro-blues. i'm diggin it. takes me back to that GF that
came and went. no mix issues that i can hear. it sounds great. :tu:
Electro-blues is a cool description. Glad you didn't hear issues with the mix. Thanks for checking this out Layzer. :)

Good work Frantz. I would've liked for the drums to stop for contrast for little bit. It sounds great nonetheless.

justin3am wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:49 am Well written and great sounds. I felt like the vocals were a little unbalanced from the rest of the mix when I started listening on laptop speakers but when I switched to headphones, they blended more nicely. Kinda the nature of laptop speakers to accentuate the frequency ranges which are dominant in human voice but it's weird how it kinda made the rest of the track sound more distant.
I intended the vocals during the verses to be upfront. I can imagine it might sound unbalanced on laptop speakers.

Thanks for your feedback Justin. :)

Very well done. Sorry, you sound like Bowie. I wish I did. :P
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

jackoo wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:36 pm I enjoyed this quite a bit!
Top notch synth sounds as usual. The female vocals are quite a nice addition to your usual tracks :)

Congrats!
Thanks very much for listening and commenting. :)

Nice...
Only thing I would recommend: The parts where the voices are doubled they somehow create some resonances. Probably they only some EQ...or panning like one voice left, other right. Overall I think there is a mid overemphasize around 1 - 2k, just guessing?

Local Man wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:56 pm I love the back and forth with the female vocalist. Very complimentary voices. I feel like there is not enough of that sort of thing in pop music.
I think her singing provides a nice contrast to my growling. :hihi:

Thanks for your feedback, sir.

This works just fine for me (including the Vid). Very 80s but I don't see it as particularly Bowie-like.
It wasn't me! (well, actually, it probably was) - apparently now an 'elderly' so maybe I forgot!

an-electric-heart wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:25 am Cool!... :dog: :hihi:

I listened on my laptop speakers a couple of days ago, and didn't want to comment then, but just now listened on my reference monitors and can honestly say that it sounds good to me! The song as far as writing, the singing, and the mix... all good, I really can't think of anything to critique.

Nothing wrong with the vocals in the chorus either (maybe you've changed it since those comments were made). In theory, the male and female voices should be fine dead in the centre, because your voices couldn't be more different!

I'd probably put a lot of plate reverb on the male vocal... but then everybody would moan about the plate reverb on the vocals. :hihi: I truly believe that there are many "right ways" to mix a song, two people could mix the same song completely differently, yet they'd both be as right as each other.

Oh, and I immediately thought of the soundtrack from the movie Drive... so that's another lil' bonus. :clap:

Thanks for your detailed comments regarding the song and the mix.

I am glad the chorus worked for you. I think there is still room for improvement but I felt like the mix was acceptable and decided to move on to other things like rebuilding my website, mastering an EP, and preparing to release it. A one-man band's work is never done. :help:

Return to “Music Cafe”