new work: Niveau Quatre, & now Niveau Cinq 1st mvmnt

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Just listened to the update. Very well done.

Thanks. Thanks for keeping up.

Niveau Cinq

New one. EDIT: now pretty much finished the section.
Last edited by jancivil on Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sets up a 2nd movement sort of thing, ready to go more linear-oriented with the MPE bansuri again.

Had a chance to play a ROLI once and for a pretty limited amount of time.
I'll admit that it didn't click with me at all.
Definitely some learning curve happening there.
One have certainly to take some times to program the synth/sound generator to respond in an interesting/predictable way too.

Happy to see those "Niveau" experimentations growing up, those textures really sound rich/vivid.

Thanks.

It's pretty weird. The mushiness of it, it's hard to be precise for basic note-ons for me. But, I was never a keyboard player, and I grew progressively worse at it over years. So the weirdness of it doesn't matter, it's a new instrument, I just go for the pitch bend, a vibrato out of both pitch bend and pressure, and like that. I mean discrete pitches like a keyboard has not been the goal. And, in the Note Expression, it's not delineated as such or necessarily if you get a pitch by gliding, or hammering-on. It's not a new note name. So fine, I can go by ear.

The instrument Equator is perfectly designed for it. I've only done this one patch and I have tweaked it (subtracting from it largely) for the first of these and now I'm going with it again.

jancivil wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:00 pm ...But, I was never a keyboard player, and I grew progressively worse at it over years...
Found this one funny :lol:

It's funny because it's true!

I should point out that this piece moves glacially. I conformed the timeline to the real pulse and it's from like 26 to 40-something mm. I remember when Cubase wouldn't even give you below 30 BPM.

Pretty much finished this bit.

Anyway. This plays around with a minor mode, quite static at first, plays around with minor tonal features but begins to go out with some real shift.
Orchestral but with noise elements particular in the outer fields of the stereo.

I love the mainly subdued vibe of Niveau Cinq, and the infrequent addition of bass. This is less overtly dramatic than Quatre, like the calm before a storm.

Good job :)

thx

I have a sort of Coda there now, which demands iteration and development. I came up with some shit totally on impulse for no particular reason I liked and kept. Like the ending. I like how suddenly this dark cloud clears up instantly.

I did this in bed, all of it.

Listening to the last posted version of Niveau Cinq. Lovely work, Jan.

Do you ever score your works ?

Best always,

dp

No, it's all the bars in the piano roll at this point.
Once I edited a lick in score editor to make it make enough sense to have a sax player double it but he said it was impossible to play.
It wasn't written for sax so fine. I think if I was paying better he might've done.

Thanks.

So I regulated some things in the final bit, rhythmically and did some cymbals decoration as one does

Return to “Music Cafe”