new work: Niveau Quatre, & now Niveau Cinq 1st mvmnt

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Niveau Quatre

Probably Périphériques no. 4, as that's the general idea. I haven't referred directly to Périphériques 3 materially but the next move in this (this is a standalone piece as is, not just an 'A' sec. although it is that) is directly out of the end of that, I know that.
Originally:
This is from 3 not really long sessions. First I laid down more or less a drone and got some things to happen with the ROLI MPE and Equator, a me-tweaked Bansuri Flute patch by AR Rahman.

This is such a wholly different ballgame, it's not all that editable with these settings; the pitch changes you only see in the pitch bend lane and it's 8192 values bipolar divided by 48 rather than the usual 2, sometimes I would do 3 semitones +/- so it's kind of leave it tf alone like this. But that session worked out well. Today I did the other things, mostly first take. This is much more facile than I've worked in a long time, if ever.
I have a template from God up right now, it's all behaving perfectly in real time, and I'm going to keep this one up and do some things. I used the ROLI Seaboard Block on a Kontakt patch, a pretty straightforward bowed 'EP 73' ("Bowed - Very Slow") out of SonicCouture which really surprised me. I didn't really set much up for the MPE but man oh man.

But I really like how this is going. This is just a few tracks, the basis, no 'sweetening' or cute percussion yet at all.
Last edited by jancivil on Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:06 am, edited 9 times in total.

The other things here are Absynth, predictably; the 73 Deconstructed EP patch; the bowed chamber bowls in Glassworks (Périphériques 3 rules ok); a little taste of Ethereal Earth in the new Kontakt; Choir in the Spitfire Labs; & SonicCouture Haunted Spaces {!!!}.

Not sure if it's my setup, but I'm not hearing anything. :?:

Yeah, I forgot to change 0 to 1 to make the embed work. Otherwise it's a "save link as" download. Apologies, fixed.

There's some kind of strange juxtaposition of ideas, bold statements against this unnerving indication of absence.

The choir swell was lovely, albeit strangely "accessible" by comparison, which is perhaps what made it work so well for me. I can't help but think that this is the metaphorical bone you've thrown to us filthy casuals, a glimmer of light in a mysterious place.

Going back to listen for a second time because the first seemed much too short.

That bansuri steals the show a bit when it first comes on stage. But by the end, I'm leaning in as if to give chase while the whole scene fades away. It's really weird and cool how you did that... it's like, I know it's coming to a close, all these subtle cues are there, but I'm still caught off guard by it actually ending.

Going back for a third time because, as I've heard it said, you've got "good sonics" here. Noticing some subtleties, like the little crunchy bits, and this time around my ear is drawn particularly to the space between the sounds. It's so full, yet full of space somehow.

Really well made.

Downloaded and listening locally.

Man this is some spooky stuff. Again, I can visualize a backdrop to some creepy horror flick or sci fi.

Can't wait to hear the finished track. Keep us posted on your progress.

Okay, one more listen because, reasons. Then I promise I'll leave you the f**k alone.

It's not terribly often that I encounter music that evokes a specific sensation of precisely-casted characters on a stage. But your music is reliably exceptional in that regard. It's not even cinematic; that term almost sounds insulting here. It's the real shit, where the actors are so good at what they're doing that I'm not entirely sure they're even actors, where I'm not even sure I'm listening to the music anymore, as much as being beckoned by it, tempted, taunted, and passed through like an epiphany of which I can only strive in futility to make sense.
Last edited by funky lime on Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

the bit leading up to the end has some garbage, but the ending is what I'm after.
This is almost all improvised, a little bit of adjustment to note lengths in the drone-y shit.
So it will see real improvement. I decided I like to post the early shit and show development.

I've been in too much pain this afternoon to concentrate, I'm really into working but no.
thanks for listening and remarking

For some reason it stops playing after a few seconds on my phone. I’ll try again later on a proper computer.

I’m really curious to hear what you’re doing with the Roli stuff. I don’t have your chops, but I’ve been diving further and further down the MPE rabbit hole. I started with a Seaboard a couple of years ago, then added a Touché, then a LinnStrument, and now I’m waiting to take delivery of a Continuum this week! I’m hoping your piece will provide some inspiration.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

Ok, there are other ways to get a link up. When it's a real piece I'll stick it up on Youtube as per usual.

I don't have any chops on the thing really yet. It's easy to do this much, the patch is so happening. I messed around with it for a bit and hit record.
I had some ideas about what I wanted based in my take on bansuri flute and a demo of Equator, [the basis for] this patch in fact. I kind of subtracted from it and re-routed a couple of modulators.

I wish I could afford the Continuum, that's what got me into this technology, AR Rahman in fact. So I found there was AR Rahman patches in the Equator, hey let's do this.

So, the track plays all through fine here. I like this a lot better than I did when I went to bed last night. That's a good sign.

Sounds great! Lots of interesting ideas which have been pointed out by yourself in others. Hangs together well and the ending is cool.
Well done!
:)
Bandcamp
Music with progressive intent.

muchas gracias!

Evocative and really somehow quite intense. While I don't usually listen exactly this kind of stuff (although I like cinematic), I think this builds up just like it should. Interesting.

(*Goes to check out WTF is Bansuri Flute*)

Pretty creepy and somewhat unnerving. I could definitely see this in a suspense/horror movie soundtrack. :)
Software: Reason 10, Acid Pro 8, Reaper, Sibelius,RapidComposer,Captain Plugins, Orb Plugins
https://soundcloud.com/devin-cooper-620205327
Need help with writing Lyrics, Try This: https://lyricstudio.net/?via=devin

Thanks for listening and comments. :)

I think I can get back to this today for some fine-tuning and accentuation, and sculpting some of the thicker long tones.

Return to “Music Cafe”