Jazz Brass Band March - "Malcolm Martin Muhammad"

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

A medium-slow jazz march in tribute to the legacies of Malcolm X, Martin Luther King Jr., and Muhammad Ali. The piece was very much inspired by the music of Henry Threadgill, especially some of his compositions which he performed with his various sextets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YD5u8tfI0Ec

Thanks for this!

I like how the reeds get layered more and more - or in other words: How they add to each other and make it vivid and sounding more and more as an ensemble piece. Well done! :wink:
Only the drums are not that satisfying for me. Some variations would have been good here (and maybe some panoramic mixing?), so they sound as a looped thing which is a little alienating to the performance. Sorry for mentioning that - I tend to be cautious with things like that as I don't know if this was something the thread opener asked for or not - so I hope it was ok.
Symphony Nr.1
Meet the Cities Repair Team Unimportant laughter
music has become meaningless...we just keep doing it

Nice, and it's good to see someone else who shares an appreciation for the music of Henry Threadgill. :tu:

@thomekk

Thanks for listening and for your honest comments. Very much appreciated! The drums are definitely a weak part of the song. The drum part was created using Jamstix version 3. If I were to do the song again now I might be able to coax out a more interesting percussion part due to the twin facts that 1., Jamstix is now on version 4 and a lot easier to use, and 2., I'm more familiar with the program and have discovered some new facets of it which I think would improve the drum part. It's a great piece of software especially for a non-drummer like myself, but when it comes to jazz pieces, I often find myself just deciding not to use any drums at all, since I can't yet make the drum parts sound as natural as the other instruments.

@rp314

Thanks for listening and commenting. I can still vividly remember the first piece I ever heard by Henry Threadgill, BERMUDA BLUES. I've been a big fan ever since.

ichi ban !...
:tu:

Fabulous brass! Nice lead sax. Very soulful.
I played with a big band for a while years ago and I love the combinations of brass and reeds on this.
Well done.
:)
Bandcamp
Music with progressive intent.

@Allomerus

Thanks! It's nice being complimented by a musician/composer whose music I listened to and respect.

bedlamite wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:30 pm @Allomerus

Thanks! It's nice being complimented by a musician/composer whose music I listened to and respect.
Wow! :o That's a lovely thing to say. Made my day!
Bandcamp
Music with progressive intent.

Return to “Music Cafe”