No One Told Me

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

improvement
perspective hard to come by here

I want out
ultimately, link now at bottom of page
Last edited by jancivil on Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:02 pm, edited 12 times in total.

Excellent stuff. All over the place yet carefully controlled. Love how the guitar pulls the odd 'unreal' move (though I'm a shitty strummer so maybe those sounds are possible on a real instrument).

Coming from a no wave and noise rock angle (with the baggage that implies,) I'd like to hear the drums smack as hard as the guitar. They sound comparatively polite next to the raging feedback storm. I'd like to hear them distorted together, fighting with each other.

Great tune anyway!

Yeah, I tend to think the drums are simply not loud enough for the guitar. Thanks for that, I am looking for other perspective. At this point I think the mix is ok but I'm really shy about a lot of level in the drums. However I'm staying with naturalistic, largely (I am using some 'drive' on a couple toms). I'm using a LOT of bleed (there are times where I'm seeing a lot of meter in the snare channel but no hay snare) and resonance spill; so I'm trying to maintain the 'pretty' respective to that. I think it's just not present enough. It's a very involved drums mix, not just the spill but sends to the ambient channels and so forth means a real balancing act.

There are one or three things that could not possibly be done in reality as far as the guitar part. But that's where there are two lines. I imagine that's what you're hearing. I just didn't want to separate because there are things which happen in the one part from the collision of tones that otherwise won't happen.

I'm kind of happy with the composition. I stuck with the original improv, which as harmonized is more revealed as going places.

Thanks!

I f**ked up the link since this, replacing 0 with 1 [to get it to play embedded] except not. Fixed. :oops:

The drums never sounded too high in the mix, but maybe the toms could come up a little, maybe 2dB relative to the other instruments, but that might not be so easy depending on the separation between the toms and the rest of the drum mix.

Good to hear that the band got back together :wink:

Good work :)

toms are a little louder, still, now. I wish I had control over which mics are used, or something; the toms in particular are bleeding like f**k all over each other, otherwise it isn't like reality worth a shit. So it's a tough mix and a learning situation.

At one point, and I had to restart the system behind it because nothing I did caused it specifically (and restarting fixed it per se), one tom was horribly loud and hideous. Cutting through the din made me push the shit out of a couple of things in the drums. The vagaries of DAW/MIDI are at its peak with this one. I was rendering the guitar channels separately (there is a thing I love which happens every view plays back that doesn't render, apparently; the phasing goes nuts, a bit helicopter-like), at various times during this journey and it's hard to feature how different some things are.

Oh yeah, as to 'unreal' the wah stuff no way happens with a foot doing it.

I am basically done.
Yes, I'm mix it again in all likelihood but this is pretty much it.

one mo' 'gin
and, officially:
No One Told Me
Last edited by jancivil on Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:16 am, edited 3 times in total.

I get a different experience from this every time I come back. Is there more harmonisation and instrumentation in this iteration? I'm getting something that feels a lot more together and 'meshed' this time around. It's still wild, but everything seems to be propelling everything else along really nicely. The drum sound makes a lot more sense in its new context. Like there's a clearer internal dialogue and a much clearer feeling of precision to everything.

since the above, it's just mixing except for really small tweaks to the velocity for a couple of the arpeggi in the piano part and a little more precision in the bass part in like two spots. Wait, I replaced a couple of cymbal crashes with other choices.

The drums are pretty important to the overall impression, I suppose. But certain things in the piano part, which are really important, weren't loud enough at one time.

thanks

Ok, yeah, this is a thing finally. Let's let youtube degrade the quality some:

https://youtu.be/KvtpYxG6pvs

I got a render finally with that phasing wildness in the one spot before it goes melodic, so this is a wrap.

Here's the video before Youtube compresses it (It is optimized to stream, video-wise but it contains the 24-bit 48khz audio):
a link to the fricken video

I haven't listened to this this 10/07, but I think the toms have more presence than last time I checked.

For once, every render is noticeably better, in my assessment.

I don't want to do any more because the one thing I kind of need in there is going to vanish forever I fear.
Maybe down the road a bit I'll deal with a couple of things near the end where the tone of the timpani, and the marimba particularly aren't up to snuff and splice two 2-files together for a composite.

Right now I want to do something else; this took a month.

stayed away for a bit , while you were working this out ...
liking the 10/09 iteration quite a bit ...
the e-piano is the hidden gem in this track ...

Thank you.

Yeah, I think the piano is indispensable, particularly in appearing to be the linchpin in effecting the climatic changes

A somewhat different render.

This is easily the most variance render to render I have experienced (which isn't a new thing). It's all the lead guitar track. This is two different renders spliced together. It's a seamless splice but it exposes the difference at exactly the edit point.

I suppose latency has something to do with all the FX on the guitar. The wah is the chief culprit, has to be.

https://youtu.be/DvrPbSqKzwo
Last edited by jancivil on Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:11 am, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Music Cafe”