Tears in Rain (ElectroProg - NOT Seismic Evangelism)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

DJ LFD wrote:Very good Compostion, Good Flow...

However, the Synth that drives the 3-4k ambience is crackling under duress, and sounds a bit harsh at a lower more "enjoyable level"...

I left a comment i can delete at the section where the syth is driving the flow, but is too harsh and needs FX and mixing, or engineering to be more in-line with the ambience, it is taking over the vibe by being distracting, but can be fixed without much hassle!
I can't hear any crackling in the 3-4k, but if I crank it right up I can hear a little beating. I might be able to tweak this with the EQ, but I suspect that the reverb is also playing a part here. I originally thought that the resonance at ~500Hz was going to be the deal-breaker, but I got used to that. I'll take another listen at the weekend and see if I come up with anything more definite.
DJ LFD wrote: Great Work, and Good Luck on getting your Track on the OST!
I certainly missed that boat :) On the plus side, I won't have to edit it down to the required length.

Thanks very much for listening. Glad you enjoyed it :)

Maybe little different for ambient I’ve heard, using the low voices, but it flows well and conjures up images of a dark nature, maybe the flip side of pastoral.

I listen to quite a bit of ambient music( Marconi Union, Loscil and others) as I drift off. I use Apple Music but there is a way to put your music onto it’s servers using iTunes. I just haven’t done that for some time. I’m sure Siri is too dumb to help with that. I’ll have to use my noggin.

Anyway, good sounds here!

good stuff, tim. really enjoyed the combo of synths and the rain drops hitting different things and the rolling thunder.
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

Nubm wrote:It had a somewhat 70s SciFi-horror movie feel to it (especially in mono) - until the rain starts. The water drops are nice but the thunder is somewhat irritating (to me). Maybe because the song itself creates a feel of emptiness and a good amount of threat. The water dropping down has a similar feel to it, especially since it sounds like its landing on a hard surface. Almost like hail at times. The thunder makes it too specific imo, creating an 'outside' of the scene, taking away the tension but without solving it.
However, overall very well done! If it was a movie scene that has a matching tension build up it would be an exeptional choice.

[I listen to a lot of ambient and chill stuff, mostly for having something in the background while doing something else.]
The field recording was the starting point for this, in that I wanted to use it in a full track, but was waiting for the right piece of music to come along. This seemed to fit the bill and the title was a no-brainer for me.

I made the recording during a thunderstorm in my back yard. The rain was consistent, but not too heavy. The rain was falling onto multiple hard surfaces - some of which were the concrete patio, two plastic waste bins, a metal step and the surface of the phone I made the field recording with.

Thanks very much for listening and taking the time to comment. Glad you liked it :)

Very cool track that fits the intended film scene beautifully. It's very haunting and I love the drones...
Well done Tim!
:)
Bandcamp
Music with progressive intent.

experimental.crow wrote:i've seen things you people wouldn't believe ...

what a wonderful homage to a visually stunning and heartbreaking sequence ...
wouldn't change one thing ...
a gorgeous composition ...
Thanks very much for the listen, and for the enthusiastic comments, e.c. Glad you enjoyed it :)
experimental.crow wrote: enlighten me as to your use of the sony xperia ...
did you use the 'touch' to set up an interface ?...
I think you are probably crediting me with too much know-how (and possibly cash, too) :wink:

I downloaded an app (Field Recorder) via 4G from the Google Play store (whilst in the wilds of North-Eastern Thailand, as I remember). The recording was made on the phone (Xperia E5823) using the app. I then transferred the wav to my PC via USB for minimal post-processing in Audacity before adding it to the track.

seismic1 wrote:
experimental.crow wrote:i've seen things you people wouldn't believe ...

what a wonderful homage to a visually stunning and heartbreaking sequence ...
wouldn't change one thing ...
a gorgeous composition ...
Thanks very much for the listen, and for the enthusiastic comments, e.c. Glad you enjoyed it :)
experimental.crow wrote: enlighten me as to your use of the sony xperia ...
did you use the 'touch' to set up an interface ?...
I think you are probably crediting me with too much know-how (and possibly cash, too) :wink:

I downloaded an app (Field Recorder) via 4G from the Google Play store (whilst in the wilds of North-Eastern Thailand, as I remember). The recording was made on the phone (Xperia E5823) using the app. I then transferred the wav to my PC via USB for minimal post-processing in Audacity before adding it to the track.
heh ...
just now noticed the price tag on the touch ...
well , one can aspire ...

Aleatoriac wrote:Love it, my kind of stuff, it's been a long time since I've seen that scene in Blade Runner. I'll listen while watching it
Glad you enjoyed it, Aleatoriac, and thanks very much for listening and commenting :)

I hope you managed to see "Blade Runner 2049". I think it was one of the few recent sequels which didn't disappoint.

Hi seismic !

Yeh, I don't think you should retire any time soon. :)

This is great work, it had my total attention from start to finish. You've conjured some lovely harmonies, and I liked that reverse granulation towards the end, resolving into the sound of the rain and that final low intoning... a beautiful evocation/resonance of the original scene.

re: BR 2049 - I agree, an excellent sequel. Your music has a taste of its flavor.

Best,

dp

PatchAdamz wrote:My Feedback

Music - 10
Instruments - 10
Performance - 10
Mix - 9.2

Overall - 11

I see we have a new rating system here.....
Really liked this tune, has all the qualities of the good "old School" stuff.

I am hearing some "digital-ness" that could be a bit softer.
Is it the LP EQ maybe?
Thanks very much for the listen and great comments, PatchAdamz. Thanks also for the "surreal" arithmetic :wink: Glad you enjoyed it :D

It may be worth looking into the EQ application on here. The synth playing the higher notes is routed through 2 EQ processors followed by a reverb and two more EQs.

Historically I have always used EnergyXT's internal EQ for the HP and LP application on each mix channel, but on this track I added Equivocate for additional "targeted" cuts. In hindsight It may have been better to use Equivocate for the both the notch and the LP/HP functionality and eliminate the internal EQ if only for the sake of simplicity.

seismic1 wrote:
PatchAdamz wrote:My Feedback

Music - 10
Instruments - 10
Performance - 10
Mix - 9.2

Overall - 11

I see we have a new rating system here.....
Really liked this tune, has all the qualities of the good "old School" stuff.

I am hearing some "digital-ness" that could be a bit softer.
Is it the LP EQ maybe?
Thanks very much for the listen and great comments, PatchAdamz. Thanks also for the "surreal" arithmetic :wink: Glad you enjoyed it :D

It may be worth looking into the EQ application on here. The synth playing the higher notes is routed through 2 EQ processors followed by a reverb and two more EQs.

Historically I have always used EnergyXT's internal EQ for the HP and LP application on each mix channel, but on this track I added Equivocate for additional "targeted" cuts. In hindsight It may have been better to use Equivocate for the both the notch and the LP/HP functionality and eliminate the internal EQ if only for the sake of simplicity.
Yea, perhaps that's what I was hearing...
Equivocate can get a bit "digital" dependent on settings.
Nice tool but maybe better to be more subtle with it.
Also, using 2 EQs can create some phase issues that can give sorted results.

But, all else aside, Soundcloud seems to be using more intense processing these days as I have noticed some degradation in quality that seems worse then it used to be....

Any how, great track....

Nice deep ambient track. Congrats on the superb atmosphere here.
HM

jethrobull wrote:This is lovely. Nice and dark,very cinematic and the rain gives it a feeling of loneliness. Great atmosphere. As it happens I have just re watched Blade Runner so I can place this in there easily. Fantastic work Tim! :tu:
Glad you enjoyed it, jb, and thanks very much for listening and commenting :)

Blade Runner was one of those films that "crept up on me". I first saw it in about '87. I thought it was ok at the time, but it wasn't until I saw it again about 10 years later that I started to appreciate it. Now it's one of my favourite films.

seismic1 wrote:
jethrobull wrote:This is lovely. Nice and dark,very cinematic and the rain gives it a feeling of loneliness. Great atmosphere. As it happens I have just re watched Blade Runner so I can place this in there easily. Fantastic work Tim! :tu:
Glad you enjoyed it, jb, and thanks very much for listening and commenting :)

Blade Runner was one of those films that "crept up on me". I first saw it in about '87. I thought it was ok at the time, but it wasn't until I saw it again about 10 years later that I started to appreciate it. Now it's one of my favourite films.
Yes, but was it the original or the directors cult or the redux or the, I could go on and on :D
On further listens to this piece more details emerge each time, like watching a film again after several years :)
The rhythmic water section really does bring a great character to this, the Rutger Hauer of the track :D :tu:
Man is least himself when he talks in the first person. Give him a mask, and he'll show you his true face

Jesse Gorter wrote:
wagtunes wrote:My Feedback

Music - 8
Instruments - 8
Performance - 7
Mix - 9

Overall - 8

Comments: Hard to critique ambient tracks because they're more for mood than pure music. If the mood you were going for was dark and mysterious, you succeeded. Not something I'd sit down and listen to but if it were part of a sci fi or something I'd find it fitting to the film.
Exactly. I think normally your tunes were a bit more....outspoken?
It's nice for ambient, but hard to sit through this time
Thanks very much for taking the time to listen and comment, Jesse :)

I think this is probably best listened to whilst lying down :wink: Preferably in the dark.

I'm hoping to make something more lively before the end of the year, but I said that last year :)

Return to “Music Cafe”