The Wagtunes Corner

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic

What CD Would You Like To Hear Me Do?

Modern Pop (Katy Perry, Taylor Swift, etc.)
5%
Classic Rock (Stones, Beatles, Who, Zep)
5%
Prog Rock (Yes, Genesis, Kansas, etc.)
10%
Show Tunes Style (Sound Of Music, My Fair Lady, etc.)
3%
Country (Alan Jackson, Garth Brooks, etc.)
2%
Disco (Bee Gees, Tramps, etc.)
14%
Metal (various sub genres)
9%
EDM (various sub genres)
14%
80s (various genres)
8%
Your Music Sucks. Please Stop Making It
30%

Total votes: 174

RELATED
PRODUCTS

wagtunes wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:54 am
Bansaw wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:35 am This is really good. Jeff Lynne is the most underrated songwriter of the 70s/80s . I love a lot of ELO stuff.

Production is better than normal, especially the drums.
Enjoyed the lyrics again. Could this be my favourite wags track. Very probably.
@3:13 great.
This is high quality song writing. A number of professional bands in the 70s might have released this song, and with production and vocals, it would have done well in the charts.
This is my catching lightning in a bottle. Don't expect all my stuff to sound this good. But then again, who knows? I'm venturing into uncharted territory here. If you heard the original version of this, one that just a few months ago I would have kept, it was awful.

Something got switched on in my brain thanks to Jon and I can't turn it off. I could never produce a song the way I used to ever again. As a result, my days of writing a song a day are over. This shit takes a ton of time to do right.

And again, I'm still not 100% happy with it. But as a demo, yeah, maybe 45 years ago this could have been a hit.

Maybe in my next life.
no no, never give up ! we're all here or you !! providing a feedback which will help you improve.

"What a Wonderful World" was a no' 1 hit for Louis Armstrong when he was 66.

nirm123 wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:39 am Hello wags, I've heard the song, pls find my comments below:

What I liked:

The melody is very nice and catchy
the singer (is that you ?) seems to sound very happy singing the song, like he's really into it

Suggestions for improvements:

the lyrics are a bit shallow, they're generic and doesn't say anything about you. this is something you'll have to work on, read the lyrics again and again, see if they reveal anything about you, if they're unique. seems to me that currently you're merely repeating clichés. they lyrics aren'y not your own, but are generic lines instead which is a bit of a shame as you have a unique personality but it doesn't manage to come across in the lyrics.

Also as I tried to imply in other thread, you really need to put aside using synths/samplers. your music screams for real instruments and playing together with people. try once to record a real piano, a real bass player, you'd discover that the difference is huge ! using simulated instruments is great for demos (I'm using it as well) but then consider to replace them when you release the song. try it once, and see the results for yourself. it will make the songs so much more organic and will add an emotional dimension which is now lacking.
:sigh:

Against my better judgment, I'm going to reply to this and address your specific comments.
the lyrics are a bit shallow, they're generic and doesn't say anything about you. this is something you'll have to work on, read the lyrics again and again, see if they reveal anything about you, if they're unique. seems to me that currently you're merely repeating clichés. they lyrics aren'y not your own, but are generic lines instead which is a bit of a shame as you have a unique personality but it doesn't manage to come across in the lyrics.
I'm no lyricist. This is pretty much the best I can do. It has always been the one thing that many publishers have said was holding me back. They always loved my music but said the lyrics were what's keeping my songs from being commercially viable. Even after taking a lyric writing course, there was only so much improvement. Essentially, I need to find a lyricist just like Elton John found Bernie Taupin. Maybe someday.
Also as I tried to imply in other thread, you really need to put aside using synths/samplers. your music screams for real instruments and playing together with people. try once to record a real piano, a real bass player, you'd discover that the difference is huge ! using simulated instruments is great for demos (I'm using it as well) but then consider to replace them when you release the song. try it once, and see the results for yourself. it will make the songs so much more organic and will add an emotional dimension which is now lacking.
I've been down this road here before so I'll just respond briefly. I don't have the funds to hire musicians to play my music. End of story.

Thank you for the listen and the feedback.

wagtunes wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:01 am
nirm123 wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:39 am Hello wags, I've heard the song, pls find my comments below:

What I liked:

the singer (is that you ?) seems to sound very happy singing the song, like he's really into it

Against my better judgment, I'm going to reply to this and address your specific comments.
I'm no lyricist. This is pretty much the best I can do. It has always been the one thing that many publishers have said was holding me back. They always loved my music but said the lyrics were what's keeping my songs from being commercially viable. Even after taking a lyric writing course, there was only so much improvement. Essentially, I need to find a lyricist just like Elton John found Bernie Taupin. Maybe someday.
I've been down this road here before so I'll just respond briefly. I don't have the funds to hire musicians to play my music. End of story.

not sure you need funds for it, you've got here quite a big community around you, people care enough to support, listen and provide a feedback. just suggesting a casual idea: try one time a cooperation with 1 person out of this community around you, see what happens. it won't cost you a cent. you see that by accepting suggestions, your music is getting better and better, the same will happen (and even more so) by letting someone else in and again, "use" this community, you've got something going here around you (people who happen to be musicians and happen to care).

also very easy today to share a project and ask someone to contribute something (i.e - guitar part ?, whatever). people would want to do it, I can promise you and your music will benefit from it.

See the huge improvements you had from the first songs you posted, and imagine adding such an improvement again, the potential is great.

nirm123 wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:06 am

What I liked:

not sure you need funds for it, you've got here quite a big community around you, people care enough to support, listen and provide a feedback. just suggesting a casual idea: try one time a cooperation with 1 person out of this community around you, see what happens. it won't cost you a cent. you see that by accepting suggestions, your music is getting better and better, the same will happen (and even more so) by letting someone else in and again, "use" this community, you've got something going here around you (people who happen to be musicians and happen to care).

also very easy today to share a project and ask someone to contribute something (i.e - guitar part ?, whatever). people would want to do it, I can promise you and your music will benefit from it.

See the huge improvements you had from the first songs you posted, and imagine adding such an improvement again, the potential is great.
I have put the offer out there for people to do my songs. In all these years, I've had the following.

Kenny Bro did a cover of my song "Hang Me At Noon" with his band.

https://soundcloud.com/steven-wagenheim ... er-version

Jon Solo redid one of my recent songs.

https://soundcloud.com/steven-wagenheim ... -version-2

And finally, a member over at Gearslutz heard my music and signed me to a contract to work with his band as a writer. They will be doing 3 of my songs on their next album coming out next year. Unfortunately, this band only distributes to Europe and Asia (their distributor hates the US because of piracy) and I'm not even allowed to mention their name here, which kind of sucks. But it is what it is.

But that's it. 42 years of songwriting and those are all the offers I've gotten to do my music. So no, people are not going to be lining up to cover my songs or even offer to play on them contrary to what you want to believe.

And now, if you don't mind, with all due respect, I'd like to drop this conversation.

Thank you.

I'm the last person to criticise any lyrics (studying English Literature for A-Level many years ago has scarred me with a propensity for random pretentious drivel.. :hihi: ) so I won't!

Thought I would post this again though - excellent series Sound on Sound magazine did years back. Loads of tips and tricks, and an interesting read;

https://web.archive.org/web/20151106202 ... /lyric.asp

I actually think you're pretty good with lyrics.

Bansaw wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:46 pm I actually think you're pretty good with lyrics.
You know what's funny? I've had comments on my music and lyrics, just from the members here, ranging from...

"Somebody get this lyricist a composer who can write music"

to

well, what the above poster said about my lyrics being pretty bad.

I've at least reached a point in my life where I can admit all my shortcomings as a writer, performer and producer.

In fact, here's the laundry list.

Writer

1. Substandard lyrics
2. Non commercial music by today's standards.
3. Average skills as an arranger.

Performer

1. Average skill as a keyboard player.
2. Poor keeping steady beat. Need quantizing.
3. Below average singer. Need much pitch correction.

Producer

Too many deficiencies to name if comparing to professional music producers. That I have no formal training hurts a lot as I have to figure things out on my own.

In short, on a scale of 1 - 10, with 10 being the requirement to be successful in this business, I'd evaluate my overall skill at a 6. And some people would probably say I'm being overly generous there.

I have no illusions about what I am and what I'm not as far as making it as a "professional" artist.

But here's the kicker. In spite of all that, an established group with a following in Europe and Asia signed me to a contract and as a result, I will be getting royalty checks in the future. That's all I ever wanted since I was 20 years old.

So people here can think what they like about my talent or lack thereof. It no longer matters to me.

I now have all the validation that I need.

6 days and 3 revisions later, track 5 from "2020" is in the books. This one was a ton of work.

Too Much Information

Johnny married Jane
Then she drove the guy insane
Sid and Sally wed
Then the girl she turned up dead

Billy's dating Sue
But they'll never say I do
Cause Billy he ain't bi
And Sue she is a guy

Wo, back it up
There's just too much going on here
Wo, I've heard enough
And the picture's crystal clear

System overload
Too much information
Torn and battered road
Too much information
Keep your gossip in your right back pocket
Don't wanna hear no more cause it's
Too much information

Gary got a job
Working for the mob
No one knew just what he did
Now his family they've hid

Tony snitched on Dan
Did it cause he can
With the fishes Danny swims
Fitted Danny for some fins

Repeat Pre Chorus and Chorus

Instrumental Break

Repeat Chorus

https://soundcloud.com/steven-wagenheim ... nformation

Nice! This one is more "modern' I think in terms of the sounds you used.
@2:50 I liked that bridge. Riser was good but might have been a few bars longer.
In terms of lyrics, it started talking about "relationships", 3 of them, then switched to the mob. Would have been nice to continue the relationship theme.
Mixing-wise, voice could be a couple of Db louder. Low end was good. Nice and clean without too many elements messing things up. :tu:
Overall I did like it. Always enjoy the arrangements, the lyrics. Great job.

Bansaw wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:28 pm Nice! This one is more "modern' I think in terms of the sounds you used.
@2:50 I liked that bridge. Riser was good but might have been a few bars longer.
In terms of lyrics, it started talking about "relationships", 3 of them, then switched to the mob. Would have been nice to continue the relationship theme.
Mixing-wise, voice could be a couple of Db louder. Low end was good. Nice and clean without too many elements messing things up. :tu:
Overall I did like it. Always enjoy the arrangements, the lyrics. Great job.
Thanks for the listen and the feedback. The vocals were a huge battle on this one trying to keep them under control. I opted for lowering them just a bit in the mix rather than work the compressor too hard. It was a trade off. I could have gone either way.

As for the lyrics, I wanted to explore other areas. I didn't want the whole thing to be about relationships as I thought that would get boring and become predictable. The mob insertion had to be a surprise. That's what I was going for. If it doesn't work, oh well. I tried.

Just another great track from you Wags. I would have liked "more" in the second verse. But that is a production thing with me, ha.

I agree about exploring other areas. The chorus was too open to cover the one subject. You could have covered a third short and sweet idea in the bridge, but it still works as it is.

Keep it up man!

thejonsolo wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:18 am Just another great track from you Wags. I would have liked "more" in the second verse. But that is a production thing with me, ha.

I agree about exploring other areas. The chorus was too open to cover the one subject. You could have covered a third short and sweet idea in the bridge, but it still works as it is.

Keep it up man!
Yeah, I was thinking of doing a vocal bridge but decided on the instrumental one. This was a very hard song to do. It took 3 revisions to get to where I ended. Initially, this was an "R" rated rap song. Think of the title and use your imagination. But I decided against it as I have people from my church going to Soundcloud. Then I did a "G" rated version but with the rap it was just boring.

As for the 2nd verse, yeah, I was thinking of doing more but then I didn't know how to make the chorus any bigger and still end up not as big as the final chorus.

In short, I wracked my brain over this one.

I'm not used to working this hard. :lol:

Accept no imitators or substitutes!

waitaminute! i was duped!
thank god for that, i thought hed gone boring. :o

6th track from my upcoming CD "2020" and also my contest submission for this month's contest. I couldn't resist.

On March 18, 1968, "Lady Madonna" by the Beatles was released. I decided to do a kind of Ruttles thing where it was obvious I was doing Lady Madonna but different. There's also a little bit of me thrown in as well.

So, to pull this off, I went to my EWQL Fab Four Library and cranked out

Lady Madonna Piano
Day Tripper Bass
Penny Lane Drums
Ticket To Ride Rhythm Guitar
Something Lead Guitar

And some screaming girls for the intro.

To that I added my Warp IV Brass & Woodwinds Libraries for sax, trumpets and trombones.

Tried to get the vocals as close as possible without having any clue how they pulled them off.

The title is the initials of Madonna's full name, Madonna Louise Ciccone.

What follows is the result.

MLC

She ain't no lady
The girl's a tramp
She likes to listen
To this song's vamp

She'll melt your shoe tops
She'll fry your soul
She has a heart
That is made of coal

Should stay away from her kind
But can't get her out of my mind