The Wagtunes Corner

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic

What CD Would You Like To Hear Me Do?

Modern Pop (Katy Perry, Taylor Swift, etc.)
5%
Classic Rock (Stones, Beatles, Who, Zep)
5%
Prog Rock (Yes, Genesis, Kansas, etc.)
10%
Show Tunes Style (Sound Of Music, My Fair Lady, etc.)
3%
Country (Alan Jackson, Garth Brooks, etc.)
2%
Disco (Bee Gees, Tramps, etc.)
14%
Metal (various sub genres)
9%
EDM (various sub genres)
14%
80s (various genres)
8%
Your Music Sucks. Please Stop Making It
30%

Total votes: 174

RELATED
PRODUCTS

wagtunes wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:39 pm
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:21 pm
wagtunes wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:01 pm
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:01 pm
wagtunes wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:25 pmI won't even mention the harder option because I'm sure you wouldn't want to do it.
So! How're we going to do this?

I still have suggestions about things that I would change, were this my project. However, I doubt you'll want to be bothered.

So, tell me what you had in mind :tu:
Honestly, I didn't have anything in particular in mind. Since you were kind enough to offer to do this, I thought I'd leave it up to you. I'm fine with whatever you come up with.

I have suggestions to make with regard to the bass and organ. I'd also probably try and add a bit of variety in the drum-track (A couple of different fills, perhaps). It's fine as it is, but ideally there'd be a bit of variety.

Ultimately, whatever happens should be your decision. You might not care for my advice, and you might be fine with the drums as they are (Which I definitely am, also). You have to be happy with the end result.

To that end, I could either send you what we agree is a good balance/spread of sounds as a stereo mix, but dry, so you can have a bit more flexibility with mixing,(Maybe not too much so as to not have enough freedom to lose the overall dynamic of the performance). Or I can bounce out the tracks for each drum separately, albeit with some of the processing intact. That gives you more freedom (which comes with great responsibility :ud: )

I could venture a mix, myself. However, even if I could improve on yours, it would no doubt stick out from the rest of the album. Of course, there's no reason not to have an alternative version. However, in that case, maybe it might be of interest to you to submit it to the Mix-Challenge, or to someone you know who might be up for giving it a go :tu:
Well, having never done anything like this with another person, I am honestly at a loss. I have no idea what I want to do. So I'm going to need you to be like my teacher. Tell me what you want me to do and I'll do it. Seriously. I need that kind of direction or nothing's gonna get done.
You seem to be under the impression that I know what I am doing :o :lol: I really don't! The best I can offer is a different perspective to yours, but you shouldn't accept it if it isn't compatible with your vision.
I have no issues putting more time into this, so if you want me to do something a certain way then just ask.

Think about what you want from the result, not the process.

@el-bo

The result? Okay, that's easy. I want it to sound like a professional band did it. Can we pull that off even with my sub par vocals? If not, quite honestly, it might as well just stay as is. To spend time on something (and I'm thinking about your time) that will only give marginal improvements, to me, makes no sense.

Now, the drums are a major improvement. The beat is much better now.

So, can you think of any other area where YOU can make a major improvement? I know I can't because this is pretty much the best I'm capable of doing. So if you can think of a part that you can redo that, in your opinion, will make a drastic difference in how good the song sounds, do it. I give you free reign. Even if it means adding something to it that I would have never thought of. If, however, you feel that the drums were the main flaw and anything else you do will just be minor, then leave it be.

Unfortunately, I can't come up with anything that sticks in my mind as needing a major overhaul.

Sorry, this is the best I can do as I'm too close to the song in its current form.

I guess what I need is a producer to listen to this and go "Okay, this needs to be changed, this needs to be eliminated, we need to add xyz to this..." and so on.

I personally have no clue.

That's why I'm not a producer and have no hits to my name.

wagtunes wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:45 pmI guess what I need is a producer to listen to this and go "Okay, this needs to be changed, this needs to be eliminated, we need to add xyz to this..." and so on.
This we can work with!

Nothing needs to be eliminated, nor even added. But I think there are a couple of things that could do with being refined, or changed. This mostly pertains to the bass and organ.

If you get a moment, please upload the track without drums or vocals. This should make it easier to confirm what I am hearing, and to make it easier to convey to you.

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:55 pm
wagtunes wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:45 pmI guess what I need is a producer to listen to this and go "Okay, this needs to be changed, this needs to be eliminated, we need to add xyz to this..." and so on.
This we can work with!

Nothing needs to be eliminated, nor even added. But I think there are a couple of things that could do with being refined, or changed. This mostly pertains to the bass and organ.

If you get a moment, please upload the track without drums or vocals. This should make it easier to confirm what I am hearing, and to make it easier to convey to you.
Happy to do it provided I can load the track into my DAW. I had 3 projects that got corrupted. This is one of them that I had to resort to an earlier backup after I sent you the non drums version. Somehow, in that process, the track got trashed.

I'll do what I can. Ideally, you really need the individual tracks to do this properly.

wagtunes wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:04 pmHappy to do it provided I can load the track into my DAW. I had 3 projects that got corrupted. This is one of them that I had to resort to an earlier backup after I sent you the non drums version. Somehow, in that process, the track got trashed.
Unless you have a firm release date for this album, we don't need to be in a crazy rush. Make sure you get the problem sorted without creating further issues.
wagtunes wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:04 pmIdeally, you really need the individual tracks to do this properly.
Not really; at least, not for the moment.

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:16 pm
wagtunes wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:04 pmHappy to do it provided I can load the track into my DAW. I had 3 projects that got corrupted. This is one of them that I had to resort to an earlier backup after I sent you the non drums version. Somehow, in that process, the track got trashed.
Unless you have a firm release date for this album, we don't need to be in a crazy rush. Make sure you get the problem sorted without creating further issues.
wagtunes wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:04 pmIdeally, you really need the individual tracks to do this properly.
Firm release date? :lol: Hey you're funny el-bo. It's doubtful that anything I do personally will ever get released. These are just albums for my personal use. Only things that will be getting released are the covers of my music that this band will be doing and then they're only getting released in Europe and Asia. Nothing here in the states.

I'll let you know if and when I have something.

:o
so i may end up in a karaoke bar in japan hearing business men all saked up crooning wagsongs :o

vurt wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:23 pm :o
so i may end up in a karaoke bar in japan hearing business men all saked up crooning wagsongs :o
You may indeed.

wagtunes wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:19 pm
Firm release date? :lol: Hey you're funny el-bo. It's doubtful that anything I do personally will ever get released. These are just albums for my personal use. Only things that will be getting released are the covers of my music that this band will be doing and then they're only getting released in Europe and Asia. Nothing here in the states.

Oh, that's cool :tu: Thought they were just going to do a tribute album, for it's own sake.

What I meant about a release date was thinking that maybe you upload your stuff to sell on BandCamp. If not, that takes the pressure off. Not that I would want to drag this out forever, but I have a lot of things I'm trying to balance at the moment.

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:46 pm

Oh, that's cool :tu: Thought they were just going to do a tribute album, for it's own sake.

What I meant about a release date was thinking that maybe you upload your stuff to sell on BandCamp. If not, that takes the pressure off. Not that I would want to drag this out forever, but I have a lot of things I'm trying to balance at the moment.
Not a problem. Do it at your own convenience, provided I can even get you a working file. If not, this is all moot.

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:46 pm

Okay, project is trashed. I can load it but can't export audio. So all of this is moot. Thanks for the offer though.

10th track from my upcoming CD "The Cool Cat In The Wind".

Only 2 tracks to go and this CD will be put to bed. Really like this one, apart from my usual vocal problems. Oh my kingdom for a voice.

Livin' In The Big House

So it begins
No way I can win
Wrapped up in sin
Now I'm livin' in the big house

My life of crime
Seemed so sublime
Now I'm doing my time
Livin' in the big house

Never did I once think it would come to this
If I could get out that would be my only wish

Days are so long
My life has gone wrong
Sing a sad song
Livin' in the big house

I miss you so
I hope that you know
The time passes slow
Livin' in the big house

Repeat Bridge

Don't leave me here
Drowned in my tears
Consumed by fear
Livin' in the big house

Get me out now
I'll show you how
This is my vow
Livin' in the big house

Instrumental Break

Repeat Last Verse

https://soundcloud.com/steven-wagenheim ... -big-house

wagtunes,
Thank you for the kind review! Now your song "My Dame": sounds quite 70's, which is fine by me. What did you use for the brass/brass section? I like most all of the melodies. I like the backing strings! Vocals are OK, a little pitchy at times. With a few tweaks here and there, I think this could have been a hit in the 70's, or I could picture this in a musical play. :) I saw for the first time that you've had a record deal; care to elaborate on that a bit? On any particular label?
You can hear my original music at this link: https://www.soundclick.com/artist/defau ... dID=224436

aaron aardvark wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:07 am wagtunes,
Thank you for the kind review! Now your song "My Dame": sounds quite 70's, which is fine by me. What did you use for the brass/brass section? I like most all of the melodies. I like the backing strings! Vocals are OK, a little pitchy at times. With a few tweaks here and there, I think this could have been a hit in the 70's, or I could picture this in a musical play. :) I saw for the first time that you've had a record deal; care to elaborate on that a bit? On any particular label?
Thanks for the listen and the feedback Aaron. Now to answer your questions and respond to some of your comments.

My vocals. :lol: Well, it would sure help if I could sing. :help: Believe it or not, I used Variaudio pitch correct on the track. But I guess there's only so much you can do with somebody who has no business getting behind a microphone. :hihi:

The brass is probably the best thing out there. The company is Warp IV. It's one guy and he's so under the radar that very few people even knows he exists. But it's the only library I would ever recommend to anybody looking for realistic brass and woodwinds. The two libraries cost me a combined $1,300. Worth every penny and easily my best purchase of 2019. There are very few game changers as far as virtual instruments go. This is one of them.

Here is the site so you can check them out for yourself.

http://www.warpivmusic.com/

As for the record deal, this came out of nowhere. Somebody over at Gearslutz heard one of my songs on Soundcloud and liked it enough that they said they wanted to do a cover of it. I said cool. Then the rest of the band heard some more of my stuff, loved a ton of it, and decided they wanted to do a whole album of my stuff. They're going into the studio to begin recording in January 2020. They distribute only in Europe and Asia. So if you live in the states you won't get to hear it there. Honestly, I still can't believe this is happening. Been waiting 42 years for somebody to record my music.

Unfortunately, I can't give any details because of the NDA. They don't want anything leaked ahead of time. But when the album is released I'll post the relevant info here. All I can say right now is it's going to be 10 of my songs.

It will probably be sometime in 2021.

Thanks again for your listen and feedback. It is much appreciated.

OK, that's cool. Since this mega-thread is so huge, you might have to give me a notification on one of my threads in the future regarding that (don't be bashful), otherwise I might miss the news.
You can hear my original music at this link: https://www.soundclick.com/artist/defau ... dID=224436

Return to “Music Cafe”