The Wagtunes Corner

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic

What CD Would You Like To Hear Me Do?

Modern Pop (Katy Perry, Taylor Swift, etc.)
5%
Classic Rock (Stones, Beatles, Who, Zep)
5%
Prog Rock (Yes, Genesis, Kansas, etc.)
10%
Show Tunes Style (Sound Of Music, My Fair Lady, etc.)
3%
Country (Alan Jackson, Garth Brooks, etc.)
2%
Disco (Bee Gees, Tramps, etc.)
14%
Metal (various sub genres)
9%
EDM (various sub genres)
14%
80s (various genres)
8%
Your Music Sucks. Please Stop Making It
30%

Total votes: 174

RELATED
PRODUCTS

vurt wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:43 pm
wagtunes wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:18 pm
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:14 pm That makes a lot of difference. I still have issues with the feel being a little too angular, but I don't really have the theoretical language to be able to convey what I would wish to convey.
Probably because I'm not a true jazz musician. They have a kind of swing to their playing that I simply don't have. Now I could have enabled the swing function in Cubase but I honestly don't like working with it because it doesn't sound natural to me.

FWIW, you're probably going to have that problem with this whole CD. That's why I'm looking for people to do my music and do it justice.

But I'm glad at least it's "better" and maybe even listenable.
how do you feel about individuals here giving it a go?

those with the suggestions may be able to at least improve bits, if maybe someone who plays bass could add that? with someone else editing the drums and so on...

not like theres not plenty of knowledge here :)
I already asked for the drumless mixes to see if I could get my ideas across, but I'd understand why someone wouldn't be interested.

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:14 pm That makes a lot of difference. I still have issues with the feel being a little too angular, but I don't really have the theoretical language to be able to convey what I would wish to convey.
Probably because I'm not a true jazz musician. They have a kind of swing to their playing that I simply don't have. Now I could have enabled the swing function in Cubase but I honestly don't like working with it because it doesn't sound natural to me.

FWIW, you're probably going to have that problem with this whole CD. That's why I'm looking for people to do my music and do it justice.

those with the suggestions may be able to at least improve bits, if maybe someone who plays bass could add that? with someone else editing the drums and so on...

Hey, if anybody wants to redo one of my songs, God bless them. Have at it. What do you think I've been trying to do?

i think it is at least worth trying, i know the aim is to get someone else to record the tracks, but you have to get them to listen and be excited by a track
yes, some people can hear a badly performed piece and think they can improve it, a lot of people will be put off by the same performance even if the track is great.
it's why many in your position present a basic piano or guitar backed vocal. it's rare they will present a complete big band as a demo.

wagtunes wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:08 pm

Hey, if anybody wants to redo one of my songs, God bless them. Have at it. What do you think I've been trying to do?
i dont mean rerecird the piece, i mean redo some of your piece.
so it's still your performance but with a little assist :)

vurt wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:09 pm i think it is at least worth trying, i know the aim is to get someone else to record the tracks, but you have to get them to listen and be excited by a track
yes, some people can hear a badly performed piece and think they can improve it, a lot of people will be put off by the same performance even if the track is great.
it's why many in your position present a basic piano or guitar backed vocal. it's rare they will present a complete big band as a demo.
Well, I don't do these just as demos. I do these so that I can actually enjoy listening to them myself. Plus, most people find piano and vocal demos boring as hell and don't listen to them anyway. Imagine my Soundcloud page with nothing but piano and vocal demos. Think I'd have as many plays as I do?

wagtunes wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:43 pmAny other attempts I make at this won't sound any better.
There is a famous quotation, from Henry Ford: "Whether you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!".

Now remember that time, oooh...about 2 hours ago when you swore blind there was nothing wrong with that section in 'Chicago Overcoat'. Then Remember apparently having learnt not to be so stubborn in the face of external opinion. And yet here we are again, with you digging your heels in.

I get it, though. Sometimes we can spend so long with a track that it is hard to reimagine parts of it. But that's why it can sometimes help to look to people who have some distance from the process and from the result.

vurt wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:11 pm

i dont mean rerecird the piece, i mean redo some of your piece.
so it's still your performance but with a little assist :)
Whatever somebody wants to do, I'm game.

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:12 pm
wagtunes wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:43 pmAny other attempts I make at this won't sound any better.
There is a famous quotation, from Henry Ford: "Whether you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!".

Now remember that time, oooh...about 2 hours ago when you swore blind there was nothing wrong with that section in 'Chicago Overcoat'. Then Remember apparently having learnt not to be so stubborn in the face of external opinion. And yet here we are again, with you digging your heels in.

I get it, though. Sometimes we can spend so long with a track that it is hard to reimagine parts of it. But that's why it can sometimes help to look to people who have some distance from the process and from the result.
Yes, and if somebody wants to do a different drum part for it, I'm all for it.

cool, sort elbo out with a drum less mix for now :)
we can maybe poke donks for the bass 8)

shame jan's been awol a few days, shed be well handy on jazzy big band stuff 8)

I don't think it would be of much benefit to you to have someone redo these, but it's definitely worth offering another point of view. Like I said, I'd be interested in jamming along to the drumless versions of these two songs to see if I can demonstrate what I've been failing to explain.

wagtunes wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:12 pm
vurt wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:09 pm i think it is at least worth trying, i know the aim is to get someone else to record the tracks, but you have to get them to listen and be excited by a track
Well, I don't do these just as demos. I do these so that I can actually enjoy listening to them myself. Plus, most people find piano and vocal demos boring as hell and don't listen to them anyway. Imagine my Soundcloud page with nothing but piano and vocal demos. Think I'd have as many plays as I do?
im not suggesting you do that, im saying a lot of others go basic as it's less distracting to potential clients.

however, i totally get that you want to be able to enjoy them. which is why im suggesting that where people can, we tweak, get the best out of the track, so a year from now, you can sit back and listen to a whole cd of well recorded tracks you've written.
that's what i want, for you.

wagtunes wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:14 pm

If you are interested, then bounce out a drumless render of each of the two songs. Note down the tempos of each, make sure to give a two bar count-in (metronome or bleep), but turn off any audible metronome as the pieces start.

Like I say, I'm not sure I'm so keen on doing the parts for you, as much as to just convey some different ideas that might work better for the songs, that you then might go back to the drawing p-board and maybe incoporate some of those ideas.

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:23 pm
wagtunes wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:14 pm

If you are interested, then bounce out a drumless render of each of the two songs. Note down the tempos of each, make sure to give a two bar count-in (metronome or bleep), but turn off any audible metronome as the pieces start.

Like I say, I'm not sure I'm so keen on doing the parts for you, as much as to just convey some different ideas that might work better for the songs, that you then might go back to the drawing p-board and maybe incoporate some of those ideas.
I think I'm understanding what you're saying. Do you want a single wav file with no drums or do you want wav files for each part of the song (keyboards, guitars, etc.) with no drums? Just so I understand exactly what I'm doing.

Then, do you want me to upload it to something like dropbox and send you a link to download or just upload it to Soundcloud and enable downloads for the track?

el-bo, here you go. No drums.

https://soundcloud.com/steven-wagenheim ... e-no-drums

It's 152 BPM and a 4 count to start before the music comes in. That should give you enough time to get into it.

Let me know if you need anything else.

wagtunes wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:20 am el-bo, here you go. No drums.

https://soundcloud.com/steven-wagenheim ... e-no-drums

It's 152 BPM and a 4 count to start before the music comes in. That should give you enough time to get into it.

Let me know if you need anything else.
That's the ticket! Drop me CO in the same manner, if you have a moment.

Return to “Music Cafe”