A rock falling from the sky? No! It's a H.I.P. music post!

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello everyone! As some of you may have noticed, I've been chugging around the KVR forums for awhile now. However, what has not been noticed are music postings by yours truly, namely because there hasn't been any. So I’ve come to the KVR community now to humbly solicit your opinions on a track that I've been working on for The Human Instrumentality Project's (my moniker of choice) debut album.

It's called "Melville Evan's $10,000,000 Asteroid Insurance" and it's my attempt at melding Lo-Fi rock-dance textures with modern breakz. I wanted the track to sound gritty and dirty while keeping it dancefloor friendly. I plan for the track to be the album’s finale, hence the “Thank you, and goodnight” sample at the end of the track (spoken by myself no less!).

Equipment used:

Host:
FL Studio

VSTi:
impOSCar
Claw
Kontakt
Combosister
String Theory

Effects:
Ozone 3
Trash
D-Pole
e-phonic Retro Delay
ConcreteFX TapeDelay

Download it here WMA format (Sorry it's the only thing I can encode on this university computer):

http://www.atomic-afro.com/music/hip/Me ... 0Evans.wma

Opinions about the track are welcome, please be specific on what should be changed if anything. I will be online this morning until 7:00 AM and will be able to respond directly to comments posted until then. Afterwards sometime next week when I'm able to reach an online computer I'll be able to respond to the other comments posted. Thanks!

ATA

Quite interesting, but I must admit that it sounded a bit repetitive; especially the drums have very little variation.

Still it makes for a strange yet intriguing texture you put down.

Yes, good point Mystahr, maybe I should add a bit more variation in the drums. Aside from the drums, should there be more variation in any of the other parts?

ATA

the whole mix sounds like it was recorded inside an oil drum - is that just the wma encoding?

scuzzphut, is the reverb too much? That, plus the other effect I put the mix through produce that really lo-fi quality. Again, that's what I was going for in the mix, but if it makes it sound too muddled I can turn it down a bit.

ATA

I just wonder if putting the whole mix through that kind of effect can be almost self-nullifying. Maybe putting applying it for 8 bars in the middle - or applying it to just a few of the high-end-of-the-mix instruments and keeping the bass and drums rock solid and beefy might help?

Dunno.

ANyway - I liked the music - I just thought the mix sounded a bit off and couldn't tell if it was the wma encoding or if you had stuck the whole thing through a spring reverb :D

Scuzzphut, thanks for the suggestion! I think you're right about keeping the bass and drums mostly dry. I will try that and post the improved mix hopefully by the end of the week.

ATA

Return to “Music Cafe”