These are Raw..any Mastering hints?

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi Annode,I just downloaded the fish filets...Looks nice,I ll give it a try as soon as I get home...
Thank you very much for the link...

Simon.
Simon Georgiou,
Thessaloniki,Greece

Yeah...I have some top dynamics plugs...but those fish plugs are just great!
PS: if you open them to the inside..don`t screw with the setings...unless you know why your changing them!
....................Don`t blame me for 'The Roots', I just live here. :x

Sorry Annode but my little experience says that an extra pair of ears is always a good thing...even if its not a "top dog" like you,he might have something interesting to say...As far as the fish filets,I ll try the presets first before messing with it...

Thanx for all the help,trully appreciated..
Simon.
Simon Georgiou,
Thessaloniki,Greece

Haha..Simon...I was joking! :lol:
PS: the filets have an "Open"to see inside settings...not whats on the top side,just inside/behind the picture face.

No prob annode.. 8)
I ll keep that in mind when I get to that part...By the way,have you got any music of your own that I can listen to?

Simon.
Simon Georgiou,
Thessaloniki,Greece

Any other opinions?Any other advice?Isnt there anyone else willing to share some knowledge or experience?

Simon.
Simon Georgiou,
Thessaloniki,Greece

hahahaha....told ya! :)

It`s all right there.

:wink:

I don't know anything about anything. Those on the Tracktion thread will see that I haven't even sorted out my input levels yet. :D But my ears know what they hear, and what they hear is the following:

- The vocals are too processed in low-grade effects and/or were recorded with an inexpensive microphone to begin with. That's fine, and I'm using a PG-58 myself (the budget Shure); however, it's hard to tell if you just got a bad signal, or you've blurred their clarity with your choice of EQ and FX. In any case, most of us hate hearing our own voices and we're more comfortable with masking that part of the recording. That's not the way to get a good-sounding track, though. Bring it to the front and center with less reverb, and send some other instruments to the back and panned where appropriate to back them off the vocal.

-The drum rhythm is awesome, and has the potential to be very organic sounding. They could use some work on a Groove template (don't ask ME... I just know the theory, not how to use them!) and/or some hand-touching to change the velocities of some of the hi-hats and snares. Mostly, it's fine; however that hi-hat and snare are distracting and they quickly take over my ears so that I am overwhelmed by the sameness and immediacy of both. Turn down the levels a bit.. give them some room reverb or something... a subtle resonance sweep... I dunno the best method to fix it, but I know that it dominates too much of the soundscape.

-In my PERSONAL view, guitars should have more midrange and less treble. You don't want it to compete with the synths and percussive elements. People always hear that the 'scooped mids' are a good sound, but that's (generally) for metal. Most other styles benefit from the opposite curve. I'm not sure what VST/VSTi/samples were used, but they're too thin.

-The acoustic guitar bit that comes in at 1:50 sounds too synthy to my ears. A bit too "perfect" or something.

-The traditional synths generally seem to work. At first I thought, "throwing in some synth just because he can" to be honest with you; but then by the time I had listened to the whole song, I saw how they fit in and complemented the song.

The thing about this track is that all the ideas are in place! Every element COULD work out beautifully, and by the end you'd have a well-crafted bit of pop/rock! To my ears, though, you need to go back to the mixing and tweaking phase before you worry about the mastering.

BTW, I'm not that great with languages, but I could have sworn I heard Spanish... and then I thought I heard French... but I was never quite sure. Could it have been Portuguese, then?

Greg

Hi Simon,

I just found this site the other day with lots of useful mastering/mixing tutorials. Some of them might go over your head (Like they went over mine).

But there is some really good stuff in there.

http://theprojectstudiohandbook.com/directory.htm

Hi Greg,
That was a great reply..So much appreciated for listening and telling me all the right things..I have to admit the mic is cheap (Shure SM 57) but the thing you said about blurring the EQ'S cause I dont feel comfortamble hearing my voice is the most accurate one..So,I better finf a singer to do this for me..guitars are made with Steinberg VG..I ll try to add some mids to that..I played the drums my self on my DDrum4 kit,no midi though,just line in from my soundcard (SB LIVE with the KX ASIO drivers) so they are on one stereo channel..I dont know how to tweak only hats or snares...Is it possible?I ll just go back to the mixing board though to try some stuff you said..It was a very helpfull reply and I really apreciate that...I let you know when an update is ready just to tell me if I am on the right track...
BTW,we are on seventh heaven here back in GREECE..Didnt sleep all night...I think we actually have a chance to the finals now!!!

Thank you very much Graig..

Simon.
Simon Georgiou,
Thessaloniki,Greece

Hi 404,

Thanks for the link..looks very interesting and seems like I found myself some serious reading to do...I am sure this will help me as it did for you..

Thanx alot,

Cheers,Simon.
Simon Georgiou,
Thessaloniki,Greece

Ok I think I made something out of all this...Here are the links to my two updated songs..Is the Mix OK?What else can I do to add "professional sound" to them?Please give me your feedback cause it makes thinks go to a good direction for me...
Here are the links:
Listen first song
Listen second song

Thanx in advance!!
[/url]
Simon Georgiou,
Thessaloniki,Greece

Return to “Music Cafe”