These are Raw..any Mastering hints?

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

These are two of my songs made in Cubase SX,Acid and and a bunch of Vst's and Vsti's...They are kinda Pop/Rock genre...No mastering yet...Any advice and hints?Any Vst's I should use?How do they sound on your speakers?I would really appeciate any info...

Thanx in advance...
Simon Georgiou,Greece.

Here is the link...

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/1/deepinsidemusic.htm[/url]
Simon Georgiou,
Thessaloniki,Greece

Looks like the link doesnt work...

Try this one instead...

www.soundclick.com/bands/1/deepinsidemusic.htm
Simon Georgiou,
Thessaloniki,Greece

Seems like I had to read the BBCode before making a link working...So Here you can listen to my songs

Hope I ve done it this time.. :)
Simon Georgiou,
Thessaloniki,Greece

There's been plenty of threads on mastering here, and I don't wanna "step on someones toes" here, also I don't think there are any really general rules for mastering, but PERSONALLY I'd say go with the EQ>Compressor>Limiter chain to begin with, tweak each one so they sound good to you. Eventually you'll probably intuitively make the process more advanced.. :)

Good luck!

And ofcourse, you need proper listening conditions for this.

Best Regards,
Blue Days.

Thanks for the reply Blue Days...I ll give that chain a try...what I experience though is that my songs are lucking of "air" if you know what I mean...Like a blurry feeling..I tried adding some trembles but doesnt seem to work with that...Would an expander help?Is there any other effect processor I should be aware of?

Thanx.
Simon Georgiou,
Thessaloniki,Greece

Not really quite sure what you mean by "air", sorry.
Blurryness is probably something you'd want to avoid when mastering, but there will be some amount of that with the current loudness of usual pop masters.

I do recall someone else mentioning "air" when using multiband compression though.. maybe it is the same "air" ? :?

Well I think clarity is a synonyme of "air" as I feel it...I dont know exactly...maybe that crystal clear trembles without the annoying mid frequencies and that feeling of room in professional productions is what I am after...Thats why I posted my songs,if someone could explain technically to me why they dont have the above characteristics...

Simon.
Simon Georgiou,
Thessaloniki,Greece

Maybe you should just try out different EQ's.

I agree with Blue Days advice.
One thing that stands out to me is the vocal sounds like its in a tin can.Get rid of that reverb,it sounds like hell!
Overall,the mix lacks fullness....sounds thin.
The drums are very undefined in the mix.
You may want to look into plugs that will enhance a feeling of space in the mix...like the PSP...damn,forget the name of them.

Go with Blue Days suggestions,(EQ/compression/limiting),and also listen to each instrument by itself,and try to make it sound as good as is apropriate for the sound your after.
Then listen to all them together,and set one back with some reverb for depth placement.See if it sounds good there,if not try another.
It`s just not easy to give a how to,since there are so many things in the equation.
Experiment with what you have...if thats not enough,read about it,and get more effects.(assuming the track was recorded well from the start.

PS: try not to effect the instruments initial recording.
Record an instrument w/little or no treatment(dry),then EQ so that each instruments frequencies dont overlap too much with another instrument.(the best you can under the circumstances).
Use dynamic plugs in each instrument track where necessary.(limiting/compression)
Then experiment placing the sounds in a stereo field.
Then effect them.
Use automation to change levels on faders/effects as the highlights of the song changes.(chorus/verse/bridge)
Vocals are very important to get right and set upfront.(in many cases)
Solos come upfront.Make the instruments move from front to back to bring attention to it when needed.
If you have a decent limitor in the master out stage...it will keep the overall level balance when you fader up an instrument.
....................Don`t blame me for 'The Roots', I just live here. :x

Ok Annode, I will do as you say..I will remix them again from scratch...I ll even re-record the vocals for better luck... Thanks for listening and for advising..

Simon.
Simon Georgiou,
Thessaloniki,Greece

Ok..but don`t make yourself nuts doing it! :)
It will all come/fall in place in time. :wink:

annode wrote:Ok..but don`t make yourself nuts doing it! :)
It will all come/fall in place in time. :wink:
Totally agree.

I came to think of something though,
the waves renaissance compressor often adds something I'd might call "air" in it's warm/opto mode.

-Blue Days

I use the digital fish filets alot too.
The compressor even has a "air" button/setting!
Freeware I think too!!!I love`um
http://www.digitalfishphones.com/main.p ... &subItem=5

Ok guys...
I ll try not to go nuts about it.. :>

You have a very helpfull community here...Thanks a lot..Of course any more feedback and opinions from other users too is kindly appreciated...

P.S. I really enjoyed listening to the contest songs..Maybe I ll take part in a later one...
Thanks again for helping...

Simon.
Simon Georgiou,
Thessaloniki,Greece

Simon sez:(hehehehe)
Of course any more feedback and opinions from other users too is kindly appreciated...
No one else need to reply since you just just heard from the top dogs here already!Anything else is just babble! :lol:

Return to “Music Cafe”