Flow (ElectroProg - Seismic Zoning)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey seismic,

I really like the vibe and athmosphere of the song.
Cool beats and sounds overall.
Nice flow ;-)

But no master should last 15 hours :o
Ah, just saw it was not only the master, but the editing/mixing job also.
Nonetheless that's alot of hours :)

(( D ))

drumity wrote:Hey seismic,

I really like the vibe and athmosphere of the song.
Cool beats and sounds overall.
Nice flow ;-)

But no master should last 15 hours :o
Ah, just saw it was not only the master, but the editing/mixing job also.
Nonetheless that's alot of hours :)

(( D ))
Thanks very much for taking the time to listen and comment, drumity. Glad you liked it :)

I think my masters normally take about an hour. It's the other stuff that takes forever :wink:

Here is the new Seismic master of the Crimson Sun Audio Remix of Flow. I completed it a couple of weeks ago:-

http://soundcloud.com/whatsisname/flow- ... un-audio-1

And another one coming in a couple of days :shock:

No need to do any more mixing to this Tim. Sounds great, the rivers of music flowing through this track are so good...
The lead at 4:10 is especially tasty! Builds beautifully and ends strongly. Well done! :)
Bandcamp
Music with progressive intent.

Allomerus wrote:No need to do any more mixing to this Tim. Sounds great, the rivers of music flowing through this track are so good...
The lead at 4:10 is especially tasty! Builds beautifully and ends strongly. Well done! :)
Thanks very much for listening, John. Glad you liked it (still) :hihi:

I agree with you about the mixing. I'm putting this one to bed.

I've got one more master to post later, and then it's back to the new(er) stuff.

Here is the latest master of Flow, made by drumity here at KVR:-

Flow - Mastered @ 96kHz/24bit by HD Mastering (Daniel Abadie)

http://soundcloud.com/whatsisname/flow- ... z-24bit-by

Daniel can be contacted here via PM or via his SoundCloud account

A big thank you to Loz at Crimson Sun audio for the mix, and to Daniel at HD Mastering. This has been a very interesting and enlightening journey.

listening to the latest mix, its a very precise arrangement with lots of very cool elements shaping it. I've heard it a few times and enjoyed it every time, that says it all.

Both masters sound very good via SoundCloud. I would need to download the files to really hear the differences but I am too exhausted at the moment.

In ye olden days, people used to master entire albums instead of individual tracks but I guess albums are less relevant these days.

wavephonic wrote:listening to the latest mix, its a very precise arrangement with lots of very cool elements shaping it. I've heard it a few times and enjoyed it every time, that says it all.
Thanks very much for having another listen to this. Really glad you still enjoy it :)

My next track will be more minimal (in some respects)

Let's bring this fine tune

to 10.000 clicks !

Come on, baby ;-)

(( D ))

Just now getting around to listening to this.

Top job! :tu: :clap:

Catchy tune, lots of motion without feeling cluttered, excellent work all around!
Bandcamp: https://suitcaseoflizards.bandcamp.com/
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN4kuy ... Dx4ziLn3ng
Now a Relay Radio DJ! http:/www.relay-radio.com

Frantz wrote:Both masters sound very good via SoundCloud. I would need to download the files to really hear the differences but I am too exhausted at the moment.

In ye olden days, people used to master entire albums instead of individual tracks but I guess albums are less relevant these days.
Thanks very much for giving these another spin, Frantz. It is much appreciated :)

This track was a special case. It has been tweaked and tuned so many times over the last 15 months, I thought it would be a good idea to document the process. I just played the original 2010 recording, and although the music was recognisable, the sound has been completely transformed.

I am feeling more energetic today so I downloaded both masters - yours and drumity's. It is not an apples to apples comparison because one is an MP3 and the other is a WAV.
Nevertheless, they are surprisingly different.

drumity's master has a lot more high frequency energy. The hi-hats are much more pronounced. The track also seems louder. It's probably a more "commercial" master but, to be honest, I find it fatiguing.

I prefer the Seismic master. I like things a little darker so I can crank up the volume without exhausting my ears.

Hey Frantz,

my credo in terms of mastering is not to make it "commercial" and as loud as possible. You can see that if you have a look at the wavefile.
This track has a dynamic range (DR) of 9-10 !
Which is quite unusual for this type of music.
Usually you'll have a DR3-6.

The high frequencies will be cutted in a mp3, that's part of the limitation of the compressing and reduction this method will cause.
If you crank up your system then the equipment and the room is the sensible part here. Which monitors after which amp etc.
Even more if you're on headphones.

My studio is build with a flat frequency response, so there's no peaks in certain frequency areas, which is the problem of most homes studios.
As you can imagine I had to listen to this track many times while mastering.
I would never give out a track which (fatigued me and) is fatiguing in terms of todays Pop tracks.
These times are over, but a few guys wanna keep these times, like the guy everyone knows from his neigbourhood, who doggedly stays with his haircut from 1983 ;-)

To sum it up: The evaluation stands and falls with the equipment one's using. (And sometimes the mood you're in and which breakfast you had this morning ;-) )

Which one you like more is your taste and you can't argue about that :)

(( D ))

drumity wrote:Let's bring this fine tune

to 10.000 clicks !

Come on, baby ;-)

(( D ))
Thanks for the bump, Daniel :)

Return to “Music Cafe”