Flow (ElectroProg - Seismic Zoning)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Frantz wrote:The original version was already very well mixed. I slightly prefer Loz's new mix especially in the final minute when everything is happening at once. In the new mix, all the parts are clear and well balanced.

Good work gentlemen. :tu:
I think you're right. The string synth and the 2 leads seem to sit better together in the new mix. annode made a comment relating to the original version of this sounding a little hot, where I was riding the limiter. I think the bass and the kick are a lot weightier on the new mix too.

Thanks very much for the listens, Frantz. Glad you liked 'em.

Has a kinda depeche mode feel to it at the start , from the " some great reward " era. Really reminded me of " lie to me " , which incidentally , I had been listening to only a few hours ago.
really like the arpeggios , and how they blur ( delay ? )
Preferred the 2nd beat as it had a bit more bite to it.
Really like the vangelis lead that comes in. Sounds like a CS80. Not keen on the flute sound , although it fits the mix well.
hmm..the arpeggio that comes in after the CS80 lead sounds too much...I mean , it doesnt sit well with the sound that sits underneath it....too much mid-action there , so i'd adjust the EQ between those two parts cos they're fighting each other for a slice of the action...tryin to muscle in on each others patch.
Maybe get voxengo span , find out the dominant ranges of the two parts , and roll off some EQ on one of the parts , so they can both be clearly heard.
Just my 2 shekels =)

**edit....just realised while reading through the rest of the comments that I'd actually commented before. Man this track has been doin the rounds for weeks. I thought it was a new one =P

2NDMOUSE wrote:Has a kinda depeche mode feel to it at the start , from the " some great reward " era. Really reminded me of " lie to me " , which incidentally , I had been listening to only a few hours ago.
really like the arpeggios , and how they blur ( delay ? )
Preferred the 2nd beat as it had a bit more bite to it.
Really like the vangelis lead that comes in. Sounds like a CS80. Not keen on the flute sound , although it fits the mix well.
hmm..the arpeggio that comes in after the CS80 lead sounds too much...I mean , it doesnt sit well with the sound that sits underneath it....too much mid-action there , so i'd adjust the EQ between those two parts cos they're fighting each other for a slice of the action...tryin to muscle in on each others patch.
Maybe get voxengo span , find out the dominant ranges of the two parts , and roll off some EQ on one of the parts , so they can both be clearly heard.
Just my 2 shekels =)

**edit....just realised while reading through the rest of the comments that I'd actually commented before. Man this track has been doin the rounds for weeks. I thought it was a new one =P
Thanks for taking the time to listen again and comment, 2M. Which mix did you listen to? The second one in the first post is the 2013 Crimson Sun Audio mix which probably addressed a lot of these problems. I have Span, but I always seem to use the T-Racks metering for a visual mixing EQ aid.

This one is 14 months old (and then some) :)

It wasnt the crimson sun mix i listened to , as I thought it was a remix by someone else , and I always prefer to hear the original before I hear another mix of it

Time to make another track, methinks :lol:

Sounds epic!
Love how it builds, great melody too

it was a real pleasure to mix this track - thanks for all the positive comments everyone :)

Jesse Gorter wrote:Sounds epic!
Love how it builds, great melody too
Thanks very much for the listen and the comments, Jesse. Glad you liked it :)

do_androids_dream wrote:it was a real pleasure to mix this track - thanks for all the positive comments everyone :)
Thanks very much for doing such a great job with the new mix Loz. :tu:

Ha ha 10 hours to do first and then 15 to remix... Isn't that how it goes?
How do you get sounds so bright without harshness? Probably a good clear listening environment, dunno, it just sounds great. I love songs like this that are a journey. Gonna sit back and enjoy

AetherCoyl wrote:Ha ha 10 hours to do first and then 15 to remix... Isn't that how it goes?
How do you get sounds so bright without harshness? Probably a good clear listening environment, dunno, it just sounds great. I love songs like this that are a journey. Gonna sit back and enjoy
I have one track due for remix in a couple of months that I really didn't care for when I recorded it about 3 years ago. I completely forgot about it. A couple of months ago I played it and now I really like it. I'm hoping that the remix of that one will involve a minimal amount of sonic molding. But anything can (and probably will) happen.

I use EnergyXT2 on Windows with a a pair of Rokit 5s driven by a Pod Studio UX2 in a less than ideal listening space, but it's what I'm used to. My mixing involves minimal FX - sometimes reverb, always a mild EQ to cut off the extreme highs and lows, very little intra-track EQ. I use a compressor in the mastering chain with a limiter at the tail end, but I set the levels pre-master such that I only use the limiter as a QC these days. If it cuts by more than 0.5 dB, I re-level the mix.

Thanks very much for listening and taking the time to comment. Glad you enjoyed it
:)

nice tune here, tim... lots of filtery analog sounds mixed with short blippy melodies balanced out well, with plenty of variation to keep one held to the end. good mix as well. it did flow indeed 8)
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

I'm also feeling the DM vibe.

I have to say I prefer the new mix as everything gels together superbly. Not that the original was bad in any way :wink:

It was easy to sit back and let all the synth trickery flow around me. Nice work indeed chaps :)

layzer wrote:nice tune here, tim... lots of filtery analog sounds mixed with short blippy melodies balanced out well, with plenty of variation to keep one held to the end. good mix as well. it did flow indeed 8)
Thanks very much for the listen and the comments, layzer. It is much appreciated.

Glad you liked it :)

tehlord wrote:I'm also feeling the DM vibe.

I have to say I prefer the new mix as everything gels together superbly. Not that the original was bad in any way :wink:

It was easy to sit back and let all the synth trickery flow around me. Nice work indeed chaps :)
Thanks very much for checking this out, Geoff. Glad you liked it :)

I prefer the new mix too. I'm trying to put together a new mastering chain for this. Hopefully sometime soon.

Return to “Music Cafe”