Flow (ElectroProg - Seismic Zoning)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Thanks for the compliments, Neil, and thanks for listening. Glad you liked it :)

I really like this piece. As others have already said, the new ideas keep coming in one right after another. Many interesting mood shifts going from delicate to driving. But even though there's lot's of variety, everything coherently builds around a common center.

The process sounds really interesting, if not complex. :-)

Nice work! Excellent production values on this one.

Sorry it took me so long to comment, I've been off in my own little world. :oops:

P.S. I had to listen a second time as I was browsing the first time I listened and lost myself in what I was doing. But even so, before my second listen I was humming the theme to myself subconsciously. :tu:
Blue Phase Music

ecamburn wrote:I really like this piece. As others have already said, the new ideas keep coming in one right after another. Many interesting mood shifts going from delicate to driving. But even though there's lot's of variety, everything coherently builds around a common center.

The process sounds really interesting, if not complex. :-)

Thanks for listening and the great comments, Eric. Glad you liked it :)

I wrote 80% of this 2 years ago and then left it alone. Many of the cosmetic touches went on last month. So far, I have found it a lot easier to polish stuff in this fashion. When I finish with this bunch of remixes, I'm going to have to write some new music. It will be interesting to see whether I can integrate these processes.

P.S. I hope we don't have to wait 7 years for your next Music Cafe piece :wink:

seismic1 wrote: I wrote 80% of this 2 years ago and then left it alone. Many of the cosmetic touches went on last month. So far, I have found it a lot easier to polish stuff in this fashion. When I finish with this bunch of remixes, I'm going to have to write some new music. It will be interesting to see whether I can integrate these processes.
Always interesting to hear about other work flows. There are some similarities with the process I used on that piece you listened to. I harvested bits and pieces from another tune I wasn't completely happy with and tinkered with it for probably 6 months before I was happy enough to mix down. ;-)

a very good track and an excellent mix! :tu:

Hey seismic1

Nice work. Lots good about this...but i'm gonna make a single comment critique.
I feel you could have made a better 'sounding' production if it were less 'hot'.
I felt there was harshness in most all the sounds. Maybe your tracks are a bit too 'slam'in', or it was mastered hot. At any rate, I thought the style of this rhythmic electronic piece might have sounded better with a softer mix.
....................Don`t blame me for 'The Roots', I just live here. :x

4lb Kitty wrote:Nice work! Excellent production values on this one.

Sorry it took me so long to comment, I've been off in my own little world. :oops:

P.S. I had to listen a second time as I was browsing the first time I listened and lost myself in what I was doing. But even so, before my second listen I was humming the theme to myself subconsciously. :tu:
Let's hear it for 4lb kitty on lead vocals.

Thanks very much for the listen and comments. Glad you liked it :)

astrochimp wrote:a very good track and an excellent mix! :tu:
Thanks very much for the listen and the comments, astrochimp :)

Excellent piece of music once again Tim

As per my comments on teh good old cloud!

annode wrote:Hey seismic1

I feel you could have made a better 'sounding' production if it were less 'hot'.
I felt there was harshness in most all the sounds. Maybe your tracks are a bit too 'slam'in', or it was mastered hot. At any rate, I thought the style of this rhythmic electronic piece might have sounded better with a softer mix.
Thanks very much for listening and commenting, annode. Glad you liked it :)

You're probably right about the "hotness". I'm still trying to define a hard and fast set of parameters for my mix levels. I seem to get 2 or 3 consecutive tracks about right and then maybe the fourth comes out a little hot. I noticed the limiter flash a couple of times during the mastering, but thought that this track could stand the "liveliness". I certainly wouldn't want this sort of sound on a soft ambient track. I need to pay more attention to setting the levels on the VSTis correctly pre-mix. It's something that I don't take enough care with. The next track should be a good test. Variable volume levels, layering, percussion. Just a few logistical problems to sort out with the instruments on that one before I start mixing.

wow. The intro is awesome.
I like the bass there :)
The delay on the hats sound good and the kalimba is an unexpected touch.
It reminds me of american beauty a little bit. But the melody should be a little bit more memorable I guess. The mood is all there though.

tehlord wrote:Excellent piece of music once again Tim

As per my comments on teh good old cloud!
Glad you liked it, Geoff, and thanks for listening and commenting :)

seismic1 wrote:
annode wrote:Hey seismic1

Thanks very much for listening and commenting, annode. Glad you liked it :)

You're probably right about the "hotness". I'm still trying to define a hard and fast set of parameters for my mix levels. I seem to get 2 or 3 consecutive tracks about right and then maybe the fourth comes out a little hot. I noticed the limiter flash a couple of times during the mastering, but thought that this track could stand the "liveliness". I certainly wouldn't want this sort of sound on a soft ambient track. I need to pay more attention to setting the levels on the VSTis correctly pre-mix. It's something that I don't take enough care with. The next track should be a good test. Variable volume levels, layering, percussion. Just a few logistical problems to sort out with the instruments on that one before I start mixing.
Listening again I think I was a little harsh about it's harshness. :roll:
I'm now focused mostly on the pads being overdone. When you mentioned 'limitor; i'm not really feeling that this piece needed a limitor. Maybe riding/automating the limitor's input parameter... lowering it during the pad parts for example.(thinking out loud)
The tune is strong and I like it...good work. (...and yeah, American Beauty...Thomas Newman is GREAT! - checkout his theme for "The Newsroom".)
Although overall, maybe it does 'sound' like it's been limited...which is really a hard-knee compressor... and maybe this tune could have benefit from warmth and softness above what sound is sharp and clinical.

Sound texture, color and luminance, soft or sharp, like paint on a canvas are as equally important as the composition, musically and technically . Never forget to work with the heart as we listen with the ears. I can hear that you know that already.
We wear so many hats at the controls, it's easy to forget about why we are really doing it. :love:

I hope to be around the cafe to hear your next work seismic1. :)
- didn't really set out to preach...it just sorta happened. Thanks for being a good sport. :)
....................Don`t blame me for 'The Roots', I just live here. :x

Jesse Gorter wrote:wow. The intro is awesome.
I like the bass there :)
The delay on the hats sound good and the kalimba is an unexpected touch.
It reminds me of american beauty a little bit. But the melody should be a little bit more memorable I guess. The mood is all there though.
Thanks for listening and for the comments, Jesse. Glad you liked it :)

As with many of my tracks, the melody was the last major component to arrive. I tend to put the main structure of the track together first and add melodies and lead lines later.

Return to “Music Cafe”