Feels like the Real Time Audio CPU usage is a bit high

Official support for: orangetreesamples.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I bought a couple of OrangeTree (Songwriter & Strawberry) guitars and have only recently really started to use them. It feels like the CPU usage is a bit high for what they are doing. Maybe if I post some specs.

PC - i5 16GB all SSD
Scarlett 4i4 3rd Gen
NI Maschine Studio
NI S88 mk2
NI Maschine Jam
Cubase 10.5
NI Komplete Ultimate (for Kontakt 6) / Roland Cloud / Sampletank 4 / Halion 6 / TRacks5 / Wave etc.

With just a single guitar part running under Strawberry on full version of Kontakt 6 I'm managing to pop the red line on Real Time Audio processing as per Cubase Audio Performance monitor. Ok this is with 64 samples at 48k but that is to get the latency to a level to use real time processing on a guitar. This is not a complaint, I love the sounds from Orange Tree stuff and I know it is doing a lot it just feels that the engine is a little bit inefficient. My i5 is a 2013 and so getting a bit long in the tooth and maybe it's time for change. I resorted to freezing the track to track in the real guitars which is a solution I just wondered whether there was a plan to optimise the OrangeTree engine a little bit?

Does the above fit with others experience or should I be worrying about my setup and that maybe I'm doing something wrong.

Cheers
Neil

Hi Neil,

64 samples might be a little low, especially depending on how many effects you have going on--the cabinet modeling, spring reverb, and reverb pedals are all impulse-based, which adds a fair amount of CPU usage. Maybe try bumping up the buffer size to see if that helps. I use a buffer size of 256 samples, which (at least on my setup) gives me a good balance between performance and fairly low latency.

Later,

Greg
Greg Schlaepfer
Orange Tree Samples
Ultra-realistic sample libraries for Kontakt

Yea I have a fully loaded i7 with 128GB of RAM. I run at 256. 64 is just a demanding pop away from full shutdown...this is with any modern synth or library.

At 256 I can go dozens of tracks without any issues. Personally, I think Orange Tree are some of the finest and easiest to play sample libraries around, which would lead me to believe they are optimized really well. Greg has released several updates over the years which takes the engine to new levels.

Thanks for the replies, please don't feel that I was criticising I just wanted to know that I'm not missing something or doing something dreadfully wrong. I've decided to drop some cash and invest in some new PC components, so the i9 9900k is on order along with a Thunderbolt 3 equipped motherboard. I'm just a rank amateur as I haven't done anything serious musically for maybe 25 years (real life gets in the way) but I'm hoping to get back into a little bit. i'm loving buying some of the new vsti's that are around and just spend hours messing about.

Cheers

Return to “Orange Tree Samples”