Rock Standard fret buzz

Official support for: orangetreesamples.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I posted about this in the group buy post, but got no responses. Fret buzz is audible on the Rock Standard YouTube demo, but I never heard anyone complain about it, so I assumed the demo was old, and that it was cleaned up.

So I purchased Rock Standard, and there is actually quite a bit of fret buzz audible on the bare samples on the low E string (and can be heard with most cleaner presets), which is ashame, because the rest of the guitar is amazing, and the presets are great as well.

I'm happy enough with it for $66, but I want to try and get it fixed.

Here are the options I came up with, besides seeing if Greg can fix it (Greg, can this be fixed?):
- Pitch shift and remap notes without buzz onto the problem notes.
- Run something like Izotope RX7 on the problem notes, and try to clean up the buzz.
- Copy lower-velocity samples, which generally have less buzz, onto higher-velocity samples, and adjust the volume.

I don't know much about Kontakt sampling - do any of these sound reasonable?

My ears are pretty sensitive, but I'm really surprised that nobody else has complained about this.

Fret buzz is quite a natural phenomenon on higher dynamics, though... Without rerecording things the only realistic option would be RX. But that can suck the life out of the sample if not used sparingly.

I'm not worried about the really high-velocity samples - the ones in the "normal" playing range have a lot of buzz as well. I just bought Steel Strings, too, and it has a little buzz, but it sounds ok to me, and kind of adds to the character of the guitar.

I'll try RX. Thanks for the response, EvilDragon.

Not sure how you would hear it in the context of a mix. I have a Les Paul and it has a little buzz on the lower strings. Setting up a guitar (or bass) to have no buzz under any circumstances usually results in a too high action.

Cyniq - yeah, you don't really hear it in a full mix. I do a lot of solo guitar, and guitar-heavy mixes, though.

I don't know - something about this particular buzz sound just grates on me. I own four other Evolution guitars, and they all sound great. I avoided buying Rock Standard last year because I heard it in the demo, and took my chances on it this year.

Return to “Orange Tree Samples”