Needed articulation in "Pure Jazz Vibes" Kontakt Vibraphone Sample Library

Official support for: orangetreesamples.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

HI!
I’ve been I Vibes player for about 30yrs. I just bought a Mallet controller. I’ve be auditioning Vibraphone sample libraries and when possible trying them out. So far I have to say the Pure Jazz Vibes is the most realistic and playable (at least from a mallet controller standpoint) than any of the others I looked at.
That being said, I’d like to offer the following suggestion if I may.
Like every other Vibraphone sample library, you have missed an important articulation used extensively by vibraphonist since the time Lionel Hampton. That is “after pedaling”. After- pedaling is a technique where the bar is struck with the pedal up and then the pedal is depressed to allow the note to ring. It is an important part of the vibist’s phrasing. When playing passages with a lot of 4 mallet chords and melody, the vibist often strikes the bars while the pedal is up and then depresses the pedal. This doesn’t really work well with the switch having to be on to switch the articulation before striking the controller
You could sample the articulation and add another key switch, but a much more playable option would be to script it in the Kontakt script since it’s really just the attack of the pedal up with tail of pedal down and the release of the of the pedal down sound.
If you could delay the note off message until the very end of the one-shot pedal up sample with a condition to switch to ringing and release portion of the pedal down sample if the switch is on, this would make a perfect sample instrument for midi mallet controller owners and would also increase the realism for keyboardist playing in the Vibraphone mode.
I for one, would be willing to pay extra for a product with this functionality if it is even possible.
I apologize for the long post and thanks for reading.

This is a little bit off topic, but I've never seen a mallet controller. Can you provide a link? Thanks!

here a youtube demo of the Malletstation. Its the one I just purchesed

https://youtu.be/EoDduVUZ7Jk

Ah, good idea. So that way it catches the ends of the notes and allows them to ring instead of muting, similar to how you can "catch" the ends of notes by quickly pressing damper pedal on a piano. We have that capability in Evolution Rosewood Grand, so I'll look into adding it to Pure Jazz Vibes, too.
Greg Schlaepfer
Orange Tree Samples
Ultra-realistic sample libraries for Kontakt

Thanks! That would be great if that could be implemented. I'm definitely on board with "Pure Jazz Vibes" as my main vibraphone sample library either way. I think it sounds the best.

Return to “Orange Tree Samples”