getting precise notes on the guitar neck

Official support for: orangetreesamples.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi there - I'm just new to Orange Tree Jumbo 12 and am experimenting with laying down precise picking and strumming notes on a sequencer (Reason in this case).

I have found I have to go to "Settings" to change the "Fret Position" slider in order to get the exact right note on the right string. However, I found when I change the fret position to be able to place the correct note, Jumbo 12 defaults to whatever the last fret position was, so when I play back, it does play the right notes, but not in the right positions as the fret position was in a different level when I added previous notes.

Is there any way to get Jumbo 12 to play back notes precisely on the strings and octaves I want? Sorry if there is a simple answer to this that I have missed!

You would need to automate fret position and perhaps also use the force string keyswitches.

Are you playing/recording the notes on a MIDI keyboard? Or writing the notes in a MIDI editor.

If writing in a MIDI editor, switch to MIDI guitar mode (in the Jumbo 12 setup options). Channels 1-6 correspond to strings 1-6 on the guitar, so you can easily specify which string and fret you want to use for each note.

Another Reason user here. Reason doesn't currently allow for sending multiple MIDI channels to one instrument, so that option's off the table for now. Personally I use the force-string keyswitches (they're at the very bottom of the piano roll) for melodic parts, and automate fret position for strumming parts. Make sure to set the automation to happen slightly before the notes are played, so that they'll take effect in time.

It would be nice to see a smarter fretting system in a future Evolution update, to minimize the need for this kind of manual finetuning (although there are definitely benefits to doing it manually and having that precise control, having the option would be nice).

Return to “Orange Tree Samples”