Evolution Rock Standard or Evolution Strawberry?

Official support for: orangetreesamples.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi All,

This is my first post here. I recently bought Evolution Jumbo 12 and Evolution Modern Nylon, and they are the only VIs that have ever caused my jaw to drop once I began to use them. I plan on buying the Evolution Songwriter within a week or two, after finally deciding on that over Evolution Steel Strings (although, I really wish fingerpicking was available on the ESW).

Now for the dilemma: I also need a good electric guitar. I primarily create ‘70s style Progressive Rock pieces (not Prog Metal), with main influences being Steve Hackett era Genesis, Camel, PFM, ELP, and King Crimson. There are a lot of Les Paul players in that crowd, and I’ve always dreamed of owning one, so I naturally thought the ERS would be my best option. Now, after having listened to the ES demo tracks, I’m not so sure.

Can anyone please provide some guidance?

Thanks, and Happy Holidays to one and all!

Sam

I find them both quite versatile and I've gotten a lot of use out of them, though I've gone to the Strawberry less since picking up the other Evolution guitars. Strawberry was the original OTS guitar release and as such it's not *quite* as deeply-sampled as the newer ones like Rock Standard, though it has been updated to the same functionality as the others in the Evolution engine, so it's just as playable! (And the somewhat smaller sample bank means Strawberry uses less RAM, if that's important to you.)

Maybe I've just used Strawberry less lately because I used it so much before when it was my only option, and so I feel like exploring the others more now. I used Strawberry for 7 or 8 months as my only electric guitar instrument. It's still a great-sounding instrument and I'm still thrilled with the music I've done with it.

TBH, I don't think you can really go wrong with either one. I wasn't exactly thrilled with the Rock Standard's demo songs either -- the Strawberry has so many and they're so versatile and adventurous, but the Rock Standard is just as capable and could do anything you hear in those Strawberry demos. They're both very good general-purpose "if you're only going to buy one of these, this will serve you very well" picks.

Thank you for your feedback. If the Rock Standard can achieve the same results as the Strawberry does in its demo songs, I think I’ll go for the Rock Standard and get the deeper samples. Based on what I’ve experienced with the quality of both the Jumbo 12 and the Modern Nylon, I’m sure I won’t be disappointed no matter which one I get.

Sam

Return to “Orange Tree Samples”